The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Batter changing sides (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/99696-batter-changing-sides.html)

thumpferee Wed Apr 22, 2015 09:46pm

Batter changing sides

How many times can a batter change boxes during an AB?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 961179)

As many times as he wants as long as he doesn't delay the game.

MTD, Sr.

bob jenkins Thu Apr 23, 2015 08:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 961179)

As many times as he wants, as long as it's not while the pitcher is in a position ready to pitch (if he does it then, he's out).

Reffing Rev. Mon Apr 27, 2015 06:36am

Interesting question. I'm coaching softball now. Working on dragging and slapping with some of our hitters from the LH side and then with 2 strikes moving them back over to the RH side. 3 out of 4 PU have told me they can't switch sides with 2 strikes. I know that is wrong, no where does it say that. On the field in pregame how do I help umpires forget a myth they once heard?

Welpe Mon Apr 27, 2015 06:45am

Take it up with those that assign them.

bob jenkins Mon Apr 27, 2015 08:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. (Post 961317)
Interesting question. I'm coaching softball now. Working on dragging and slapping with some of our hitters from the LH side and then with 2 strikes moving them back over to the RH side. 3 out of 4 PU have told me they can't switch sides with 2 strikes. I know that is wrong, no where does it say that. On the field in pregame how do I help umpires forget a myth they once heard?

You might ask on the softball forum, to see if perhaps it is a rule under some softball code. That would give you a reason to bring it up at the meeting and a way to explain it to the umpires.

MD Longhorn Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 961326)
You might ask on the softball forum, to see if perhaps it is a rule under some softball code. That would give you a reason to bring it up at the meeting and a way to explain it to the umpires.

It is not illegal in any softball rule set.

Blueump1 Tue Apr 28, 2015 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. (Post 961317)

Must be the same umpires that tell them they can put tape over their earrings and still play! :D