The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Delayed Dead ball NFHS (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/99530-delayed-dead-ball-nfhs.html)

zebra2955 Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:35am

Delayed Dead ball NFHS

Noticed in the back of the NFHS rule book that the delayed ball signal is no longer listed.

Is this no longer an official NFHS baseball signal? If not what is the new procedure for signaling a delayed dead ball?

rbmartin Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:15pm

I think NFHS Baseball ditched that signal either 1 or 2 years ago. It still exists in NFHS Softball if I'm not mistaken.

rcaverly Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra2955 (Post 958051)
Is this no longer an official NFHS baseball signal?

Correct.

Quote:

If not what is the new procedure for signaling a delayed dead ball?

Call and signal "time" at the end of continuous action.

FTVMartin Wed Mar 18, 2015 04:03pm

In the case of obstruction we just verbally say "that's obstruction" to make it clear that we have seen it. Then call time at the end of the play and make whatever awards are needed. No longer have to hold your arm out in the air for the remainder of the play.

ozzy6900 Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:55am

Quote:

Noticed in the back of the NFHS rule book that the delayed ball signal is no longer listed.

Is this no longer an official NFHS baseball signal? If not what is the new procedure for signaling a delayed dead ball?

If you are referring to the idiotic "hold your right fist out" signal, most of us ditched this eons ago simply because it was one of the stupidest looking things that an umpire can do. I think the last time I used this signal was back in 1978 in my 1st FED Training.

bob jenkins Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 958151)
If you are referring to the idiotic "hold your right fist out" signal, most of us ditched this eons ago simply because it was one of the stupidest looking things that an umpire can do. I think the last time I used this signal was back in 1978 in my 1st FED Training.

What about the "hold your left fist out" signal? ;)

ozzy6900 Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 958160)
what about the "hold your left fist out" signal? ;)

lol!!

nicshow Wed May 06, 2015 09:55pm

Verification?

Can anyone point me to verification that this signal has been changed? I'd like to share it with my association.

Nic

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu May 07, 2015 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 958151)

No, the stupidest looking thing a sports official can do is an NBA official patting the top of his head to signal a shot clock violation, :p.

MTD, Sr.