The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Exact timing on force play (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/98576-exact-timing-force-play.html)

bsaucer Fri Oct 31, 2014 01:27pm

Exact timing on force play

B1 hits ground ball to F4 who then throws to F3. While standing on the bag, F3 deflects the ball into the air with his mitt before securely catching it in his mitt. B1 reaches the bag a "split second" after the ball is deflected, but before it is caught securely. Is he safe?

Rich Ives Fri Oct 31, 2014 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaucer (Post 942744)
B1 hits ground ball to F4 who then throws to F3. While standing on the bag, F3 deflects the ball into the air with his mitt before securely catching it in his mitt. B1 reaches the bag a "split second" after the ball is deflected, but before it is caught securely. Is he safe?

Read the definition of tag. The answer is there.

bob jenkins Fri Oct 31, 2014 01:48pm

Safe.

robbie Fri Oct 31, 2014 04:44pm

Just curious as to why you asked. I'm not sure why there would be any question if the BR reaches base prior to F3 catching the ball.
Not being critical, just wondering your thought process.

bsaucer Fri Oct 31, 2014 07:03pm

1. I was comparing the play to the one where a runner may leave his base after a fly ball is touched by a fielder, even if it is subsequently caught by another fielder.

2. I had read or heard that umpires listen for the ball hitting the glove when calling the close force play. Is that true?

Matt Fri Oct 31, 2014 07:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaucer (Post 942767)
1. I was comparing the play to the one where a runner may leave his base after a fly ball is touched by a fielder, even if it is subsequently caught by another fielder.

Two different rules, two different concepts.

Quote:

2. I had read or heard that umpires listen for the ball hitting the glove when calling the close force play. Is that true?

Yes, but we still see the ball.

bob jenkins Sat Nov 01, 2014 06:16am

Quote:

If the runner couldn't leave on the touch, the fielder could "juggle" the ball all the way to the infield, thus preventing the advance. An infielder on a force play, can't get that same advantage.

And, the out at first isn't a force play. ;)

CoachPaul Sun Mar 15, 2015 06:55am

2nd, 3rd, and home are eligible for force plays. The BR is simply put out before reaching first base. The BR does the forcing. He is not forced. Think about the rule for scoring runs on plays where the third out is recorded. It talks about force plays and/or the BR being out before reaching first.