The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Reds/Pirates Catcher Obstruction (7.13) (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/98079-reds-pirates-catcher-obstruction-7-13-a.html)

Altor Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:16am

Reds/Pirates Catcher Obstruction (7.13)

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=33840745&topic_id=6479266&wi dth=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Did New York invoke Rule 7.13 because Mesoraco appeared to have to adjust his path halfway down the line to avoid the Pirates' catcher? Certainly they don't expect a catcher to not have his foot on the plate while taking a throw for a force out?

Interestingly, the Pirates asked if Mesoraco blocked the plate later in this game and New York said he didn't, but he did miss the tag. If anybody has that video, I'd like to see it too.

MD Longhorn Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:31am

Not the foot on the plate, but the body in the basepath.

That said... I don't see any deviation by the runner here. I'm not sure I call this.

Also - I was unaware obstruction was something they could go to replay on.

ozzy6900 Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:35am

I agree, MD. I didn't see any deviation at all, on the part of the runner. Personally, I think everyone is turning into a bunch of pussies with this IR crap. Call it, don't call it - IR will fix it.

Go back to live and die with the damn call!

bob jenkins Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:37am

I have read elsewhere that Torre indicated the replay officials were wrong on this. The out should have stood.

JJ Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:39am

Wow. With the bases loaded this isn't even a tag play. The catcher caught the ball with his foot on the plate and backed out of there (away from the plate). No way I call safe on this play. I wonder what the reviewer saw that convinced him.

JJ

jicecone Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 936448)
I agree, MD. I didn't see any deviation at all, on the part of the runner. Personally, I think everyone is turning into a bunch of pussies with this IR crap. Call it, don't call it - IR will fix it.

Go back to live and die with the damn call!

I agree Oz. Next thing you know, were going to have to review the reviews then send the reviews to an arbitration board and the final decision will be made by The Supreme Court. All because of the cry-baby whining perfection sickos that scream injustice over a GAME. A FREAKING GAME

charliej47 Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:20am

:D I was watching the game and I think they were talking about him blocking the plate/path while waiting for the ball.:eek:

MD Longhorn Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliej47 (Post 936454)
:D I was watching the game and I think they were talking about him blocking the plate/path while waiting for the ball.:eek:

That's not shocking... at least that's HALF of the rule...

EsqUmp Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:32pm

The good thing about these sorts of calls/reversals is that they will help to eliminate much of replay in future years.

MD Longhorn Fri Jun 20, 2014 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 936461)
The good thing about these sorts of calls/reversals is that they will help to eliminate much of replay in future years.

Said all of my Football officiating colleagues several years ago.

APG Fri Jun 20, 2014 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 936461)

This will never happen. Whether umpires here like it or not, eliminating replay would be seen as a huge step backwards by the fans and the media.

For those that don't like replay, at best replay abilities will stay the same over the next couple of years. More likely, it'll be expanded in some form or fashion.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jun 20, 2014 06:41pm

OUT!!

MTD, Sr.

rbmartin Fri Jun 20, 2014 07:12pm

I'm a big Reds fan but this is a simple out all day long.

jicecone Sat Jun 21, 2014 07:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 936468)
This will never happen. Whether umpires here like it or not, eliminating replay would be seen as a huge step backwards by the fans and the media.

My words exactly:

"Cry-baby whining perfection sickos that scream injustice over a GAME"

tmagan Sun Jun 22, 2014 07:52pm

It is all well and good in the regular season, but if this happens in a crucial postseason moment, as Al Michaels would say: 'There will be hell to pay'.