The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   MLB Replay Problems (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/97744-mlb-replay-problems.html)

David B Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:52pm

MLB Replay Problems

Have to admit that I read it here first - replay will not work in MLB and sure enough seeing three different articles today on ESPN about how frustrated managers are with the system.

I don't watch MLB because its gotten so slow its like watching paint dry, but watching two different games this weekend and the replays take "way way way too long" and then they don't get the call right according to what I was shown on my TV set at home.

I don't think there is a way to fix the system - but they are getting what they want - so be it.

On another note - umpires need to "make their own calls" - my gosh had three games this weekend and in every game a coach is wanting me to appeal a call to the other umpire when it's not only my call to make but I was also sure that the call was correct.

Next thing you know they will be able to appeal ball and strike calls to the base umpires …. :eek:

Thanks
David

grunewar Sun Apr 13, 2014 03:23pm

I watch a lot of Nats games and haven't been a fan of the way it's been used (as stated in the other thread). Hope it gets better......

Another article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...7773--mlb.html

Manny A Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:02am

Speaking of Nats, I saw Bryce Harper's bomb against the Marlins last week. It went over the right field foul pole and hit the upper deck. The Marlins manager appealed to U1 that the ball might've gone foul, and the umpires went to check the replay. The Nats announcers mentioned that if the replay proved that the HR stood, the Marlins would lose their ability to challenge another call.

I didn't realize that the manager challenges included the situations where replay was used in the past (fair/foul over the fence, spectator interference, etc.) Before this season, a manager could appeal for the umpires to check replay multiple times in those scenarios, could he not? But now it counts against the replay challenges? That doesn't seem right.

As for the system in general, I, too, have been surprised by replay rulings that have gone against what I've seen on TV. But it's here to stay...

Dakota Mon Apr 14, 2014 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B (Post 931624)
...I don't watch MLB because its gotten so slow its like watching paint dry,...

If you avoid the NYY/BoSox games things will move along much faster! :D

hbk314 Mon Apr 14, 2014 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 931698)
Speaking of Nats, I saw Bryce Harper's bomb against the Marlins last week. It went over the right field foul pole and hit the upper deck. The Marlins manager appealed to U1 that the ball might've gone foul, and the umpires went to check the replay. The Nats announcers mentioned that if the replay proved that the HR stood, the Marlins would lose their ability to challenge another call.

I didn't realize that the manager challenges included the situations where replay was used in the past (fair/foul over the fence, spectator interference, etc.) Before this season, a manager could appeal for the umpires to check replay multiple times in those scenarios, could he not? But now it counts against the replay challenges? That doesn't seem right.

As for the system in general, I, too, have been surprised by replay rulings that have gone against what I've seen on TV. But it's here to stay...

I think I remember reading back when replay was first announced that those were plays were still up to the umpire to review. So my understanding is that it's not something that can be challenged.

bwburke94 Tue Apr 15, 2014 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbk314 (Post 931725)
I think I remember reading back when replay was first announced that those were plays were still up to the umpire to review. So my understanding is that it's not something that can be challenged.

Which means that a manager cannot lose their challenge from a review of those plays.

SE Minnestoa Re Wed Apr 16, 2014 08:54am

They need to do something different. Twice last night John Gibbons walked out to the umpire on close plays and just stood there looking toward the dugout. When the dugout said don't review, he smiled and walked back to the bench.

grunewar Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:36am

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 931907)
They need to do something different. Twice last night John Gibbons walked out to the umpire on close plays and just stood there looking toward the dugout. When the dugout said don't review, he smiled and walked back to the bench.

This is what I wrote in the "Opening Day" Thread:

"Instant replay has turned into a "mating dance." Here's how it's worked in my observation."

"Close play occurs. Manager pops out of the dugout and goes on the field. Saunters over to the ump. Both turn and look toward the dugout and casually talk about whatever. Bench coach is on the phone with someone reviewing the play to give the coach the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" - challenge or not. Once the "thumb" is given we either go to the review or not."

AremRed Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 931907)

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 931927)
This is what I wrote in the "Opening Day" Thread:

"Instant replay has turned into a "mating dance." Here's how it's worked in my observation."

"Close play occurs. Manager pops out of the dugout and goes on the field. Saunters over to the ump. Both turn and look toward the dugout and casually talk about whatever. Bench coach is on the phone with someone reviewing the play to give the coach the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" - challenge or not. Once the "thumb" is given we either go to the review or not."

I think it's hilarious!

grunewar Wed Apr 16, 2014 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 931930)
I think it's hilarious!

Happened about TEN times in the Nats vs Braves series last weekend and it was anything but hilarious. IMO it was embarassing.

It's early. I hope they get it fixed.....as has been stated, it's not going away.

Rich Ives Thu Apr 17, 2014 09:31am

Why are people thinking this would be running perfectly right out of the box? What strange world are you living in?

JRutledge Thu Apr 17, 2014 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 932049)
Why are people thinking this would be running perfectly right out of the box? What strange world are you living in?

NFL replay is not perfect and the NFL has more cameras and have a better overall system with the type of game. I knew MLB was going to have problems and judgement was still going to apply.

Peace

Manny A Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 931949)
Happened about TEN times in the Nats vs Braves series last weekend and it was anything but hilarious. IMO it was embarassing.

It's early. I hope they get it fixed.....as has been stated, it's not going away.

What are they supposed to fix? Not allow the manager to come out and ask the umpires what they're doing after the game until he gets a thumbs up/thumbs down from the dugout?

I suppose the manager could stay in the dugout until he is advised to go challenge, and then request Time. In the meantime, someone on that team is going to stall (batter or runner requests time to tie a shoe, catcher requests time to talk to the pitcher, etc.) to give the bench coach an opportunity to check with someone watching replays. The end result is still the same.

Another possibility is to give the manager an allotted amount of time, say ten seconds after the play is over, to make the decision to challenge. But who would keep track of that? An on-field umpire? A play clock on the scoreboard? That would be a pain.

It is what it is (and I hate that saying). Putting limitations on it would defeat the purpose of having the system in the first place. Baseball is not a timed game, so forcing some sort of time limit when replays can be challenged is unrealistic. And, frankly, the purpose of the system is to get calls right, not to lower the amount of time it takes to play the game.

scrounge Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:03am

I think the system is working fairly well actually, and more smoothly than I anticipated in the startup phase. Frankly, I think much/most of the frustration is with the transfer catch/no-catch reviews, but that's because of an apparent rule interpretation change, not the replay system per se.

jicecone Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:12am

I agree that there is more problems because they changed the interp of a catch, than with the replay.

I am waiting for the line drive that does not get purposely dropped but somehow gets dropped in the exchange and an out turned into a double play. Maybe then MLB, will put this ruling back to sleep.