The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 06:16am

Then there's THIS guy...

Had a V/JV doubleheader Tuesday. 4:00 start for the varsity and as much as we can get of a JV game before darkness (no lights). We step onto the field at 3:45 and the home team has just started infield practice. Then, visitors take their infield, we have the pregame, and we go. First pitch is somewhere between 4:10 and 4:15.

Varsity game cruises and we're done at exactly 6:00. As we're changing in the parking lot, a guy with home team apparel strolls up and says, "Hey. The teams are ready. You guys are taking a lot of time."

I replied, "We're going as fast as we can."

This guy says, "I don't think you are!"

"And you are...?" I asked.

"Xxxx Xxxx. Superintendent. I'm the administrator in charge."

"Sir, you need to go away," I said.

"What did you say to me?!?!"

"You need to go away."

First pitch of the JV game? 6:16 p.m. 16 minutes from the last out to the first pitch of the next game. That seems rather snappy, if you ask me.

Easily the worst I've ever been treated by a site administrator. Considering sending in a report to the state association. Thoughts?
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Absolutely!! Here in MI we have the ability to post a Sportsmanship feedback survey online and I make it a point to submit something on a regular basis to not only comment on the good things I see but also to recognize the bad things that I see. IMO you at least might wanna consider shooting the Varsity coach an email IF you have any type of relationship with him to let him know what you experienced.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Discuss it with your assigner
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 08:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Discuss it with your assigner
No assigners here. We get games directly from schools.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 08:24am
Official & ***** Member

"If you'd spend more time raising money for lights & less time berating us, we wouldn't have this problem."

Who in their right mind schedules a DH starting at 4:00 this time of year anyway?
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

One other thing that I missed the first time through -- set the expectations with the coaches at either the beginning or the end of the first game - "we'll be back in 20."

Other options (neither of which do I like for regular season ball, but the first is workable if the score isn't close):

BU leaves in the top of the 7th to change for the plate and PU works solo. Then (old) BU works solo for the 1st inning of the JV game while PU changes.

BU works the first inning of the JV game behind the mound while PU changes. Then (old) PU works behind the mound for the second inning while BU changes.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Never had a DH with V first game and JV second.

Never had a DH that starts at 4:00 on a field without lights.

Never had a home team take the field at 3:45 for infield for a 4:00 game.

Never had a HS game without an assigner.

Never been approached by a school official in the parking lot between games of a DH or afterwards.

If this school assigns the umpires I assume you have the capacity to deny games at this school.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

They routinely schedule games here in NW PA as Varsity with JV to follow starting at 4:00. That being said unless the varsity game finishes early or very quickly if we get four innings in of JV ball we are extremely lucky. If the teams can't be ready on time to start the first game I'm not killing myself to worrying about how quick we start the next one.
The on site administrator needs to worry about the teams being ready for the first game not how long it takes me to change clothes.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 08:44am
Administrator

The three H.S. baseball and softball assigners in Michigan for which Junior and I umpire assign for leagues that have rules that state that the second game of a doubleheader WILL start no later than 15 minutes after the first game has ended. These leagues are so adorable. I have a DH at one of these schools in late May when I hope that the weather will be in the 80'sF by then and the walk from the baseball diamond to the parking lot is 10 minutes long, .

Nobody wants to have games drag on but the 15 minute rule is unrealistic. If you just worked the plate in a 7-inning game in hot weather requires "somewhat" more that 15 minutes to recover and get ready for the next games.

These school administrators do not have a clue. I don't know about other officials but Junior and I do not wear "combo" pants for H.S. games; they just don't look professional. That means changing completely from one uniform to another. I know I am Superman, , but one just doesn't jump into a phone booth (can one still find one of those things and presto go from one uniform to another.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Never had a DH with V first game and JV second.

Never had a DH that starts at 4:00 on a field without lights.

Never had a home team take the field at 3:45 for infield for a 4:00 game.

Never had a HS game without an assigner.

Never been approached by a school official in the parking lot between games of a DH or afterwards.

If this school assigns the umpires I assume you have the capacity to deny games at this school.
Other than the first one, I agree 100%. The procedures here seem weird to me.

(I've had V before JV on numerous occasions - for various reasons).

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 12:11pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
Had a V/JV doubleheader Tuesday.
As we're changing in the parking lot...
Thoughts?
Yeah, here's my thought: Why in the heck is the same crew working both games?

On the rare occasion that we have a JV/V DH (and in our neck, JV normally plays first since they have time limits), our assignor schedules two different crews. And our umpires for JV are usually the ones who are new and/or need the experience. No sense making seasoned veterans work JV games and take opportunities away from the newbies.

Now, if you have a shortage of umpires in your neck, I can certainly understand. Otherwise, making two umpires work a varsity game followed up by a JV game...ugh!
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Yeah, here's my thought: Why in the heck is the same crew working both games?

On the rare occasion that we have a JV/V DH (and in our neck, JV normally plays first since they have time limits), our assignor schedules two different crews. And our umpires for JV are usually the ones who are new and/or need the experience. No sense making seasoned veterans work JV games and take opportunities away from the newbies.

Now, if you have a shortage of umpires in your neck, I can certainly understand. Otherwise, making two umpires work a varsity game followed up by a JV game...ugh!
Wow. Had no idea it worked like that anywhere.

I've NEVER (21 years) had separate crews for JV and V baseball (or softball ... or football) games. Only sport I've been involved with that does that is basketball.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 03:53pm
Archaic Power Monger

Football does it here. In fact, the JV and Varsity games are almost never played in the same place or on the same day.

I don't think baseball usually does a JV/V doubleheader either.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

We always have separate crews for JV / V games (except in rare cases of makeups causing a shortage of crews), and they are almost always a doubleheader, with the JV up first and varsity games usually starting at 7:00 or 7:30.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 07:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
No assigners here. We get games directly from schools.
Then I'd contact the AD and possibly the state (likely depending on the AD's response). Let the AD know the site manager's joke didn't come across as a joke.