The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 08:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

RadioBlue,

I would just address this issue with the person that assigned the game. Otherwise, I would not care. Who cares what a superintendent wants when they did not assign the game. And if it is that deep, they can never see me again at that school. In baseball, they will need me before I need them.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 11:50pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I would let it go. Somebody else will make a scene. No need for it to be you.

Changing takes 15-20 minutes along w/ a bathroom break is a reasonable amount of time.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2014, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I would have looked the stuffed shirt dead in the eye, thanked him for providing the crew such a wonderful place to change our clothes, then asked him where the restroom was due to the impending bodily function I had to execute. (not standing up)
Old Fri Apr 04, 2014, 08:01am

I appreciate the comments.

In this area, there is a shortage of umpires. Additionally, the schools do almost all of their own hiring. The schools also know when the schedule a JV game behind a V game on a field without lights, the likelihood of getting a complete game in is near zero percent. It's an opportunity to get some kids some ABs and some time on a diamond.

I spoke with the AD a couple of times and he talked to the Super. (The Super. was serving as game management which is why he felt the need to come up to us to begin with.) I told the AD that I would like to speak with the Super so we could clear the air.

I had a very good conversation with the Super. yesterday. I explained to him that absent an actual lockerroom, the parking lot and my car IS my lockerroom and I felt he invaded our space. Couple that with the fact that he did not identify himself prior to engaging in a conversation with us, we were placed on the immediate defensive.

He acknowledged that he should have ID'd himself first and that he should have handled the situation completely differently and that the reason the conversation ratcheted up so quickly was on him.

Turns out ... he's got a freshman playing JV ball. I asked him if it was possible if his frustration came more from him being a parent than being game management and he acknowledged that was probably the case. I explained to him that as a veteran umpire with decades of experience, I can deal with what happened just fine. My concern was more for newer officials. If a relative newbie was treated in this manner, I could see this being an incident whereby we lose an official. I told him that with the shortage of officials in this area, we can't afford to lose officials over something of this nature. He agreed.

In the end, it was a very good conversation and understandings were reached which is all I really wanted.

I also appreciate Bob J.'s suggestions regarding ways to get the next game started more quickly. If we know we are only going to get 20-30 mins. of JV ball in, we'll just stay put. In the future during situations where we're gonna play longer than that, we just might have the V plate guy stay back there and start the JV game with him working solo with the BU gets changed. Then, when he's ready, the original PU will go get changed while the new PU works solo.

I explained this to the Super (who himself coached baseball for nearly 20 years) and he was appreciative that we were able to learn something new. He also said he was appreciative of the fact that, despite the run-in between games, we hustled and worked hard in the JV game and didn't short-change the kids. I explained that we don't operate that way ... and most umpires I know wouldn't, either.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Last edited by RadioBlue; Fri Apr 04, 2014 at 12:16pm. Reason: clarity
Old Fri Apr 04, 2014, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Never had a DH with V first game and JV second.

Never had a DH that starts at 4:00 on a field without lights. . . .

Never had a HS game without an assigner.
I can confirm that all of these things are absolutely, 100% standard in RadioBlue's area.

Not really relevant to the post, but if I'm not mistaken about his identity, RB is one of the best umpires in the area, if not the entire state, and taught me most of what I know (which, granted, is not saying much, but I'm not the only one he's taught!).
Old Fri Apr 04, 2014, 11:59am
Official & ***** Member

I wouldn't bother changing if you're only going to get in 20 - 30 minutes of play.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2014, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

JV games are schedule at 4:00 around here, Varsity can be anywhere from 4:00 to 7:00 depending on lights. JV might play away and V at home, especially if there are no lights, but it often happens on fields with lights because varsity will play at 7:00. Most of the schools do not play J/V DH even if they have lights and NONE play JV/V on a field without lights. Some will put a time limit on the JV game so the V game can start on time at 7:00.

My assigner used to assign lots of DHs, due to shortage of umpires, not as much anymore, as more umpires allow him to assign different crews if they are playing on same field.