The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Your call?? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/97619-your-call.html)

UmpJM Wed Mar 26, 2014 05:20pm

Your call??

What have you got on this?

Benches clear in Florida vs. Florida State baseball game - YouTube

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/FZpHGJy5SHw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JM

David B Wed Mar 26, 2014 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (Post 929115)

Got some coaches who will have to do some explaining I'm sure to their league offices.

As far as the play, F1 had opportunity to field the ball and muffed it, from the second replay I don't see the BR do anything as far as a flagrant offense simply running to the base.

I would have nothing on the play but would have an ejection for both of the players involved since both of them pushed the other after the play.

I thought the umpires did a good job of handling the original situation before the teams came on the field.

That's my take. Just wondering what they did in the original situation, didn't see it on Sportscenter today.

Thanks
David

SethPDX Wed Mar 26, 2014 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B (Post 929120)
Got some coaches who will have to do some explaining I'm sure to their league offices.

As far as the play, F1 had opportunity to field the ball and muffed it, from the second replay I don't see the BR do anything as far as a flagrant offense simply running to the base.

I would have nothing on the play but would have an ejection for both of the players involved since both of them pushed the other after the play.

I thought the umpires did a good job of handling the original situation before the teams came on the field.

That's my take. Just wondering what they did in the original situation, didn't see it on Sportscenter today.

Thanks
David

I have the same thing as you. The box score says F3 and the batter, as well as F1, were EJed. Guess he did something that wasn't on camera because I didn't see anything from him on the video.

Rich Wed Mar 26, 2014 05:51pm

I would call this interference every time under any rule set.

NCAA: Ball's within the immediate reach of the fielder. The fielder's still protected. (Approved Ruling)

NFHS: Ball's within a step and a reach. The fielder's still protected.

OBR: Ball's within a step and a reach. The fielder's still protected. MLBUM.

On top of all of these, the runner seems to alter his path to go at the fielder when he had every opportunity to avoid. The fielder did not move right or left, here.

dash_riprock Wed Mar 26, 2014 05:52pm

Interference on the batter and a host of EJs + 4-game suspensions starting with F3 and the BR for violations of the NCAA fight rule.

jicecone Wed Mar 26, 2014 06:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 929129)
Interference on the batter and a host of EJs + 4-game suspensions starting with F3 and the BR for violations of the NCAA fight rule.

For those that missed the runner going from outside the foul line to inside the line to purposely run over the pitcher, your assignment tonight is to put on your glasses and watch the video at least 3 more times. It is very obvious what his intention was.

Mrumpiresir Wed Mar 26, 2014 07:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B (Post 929120)

Thanks
David

Nonsense. Blatant interference.

JRutledge Wed Mar 26, 2014 08:47pm

No Malicious contact by anyone?

Peace

Matt Wed Mar 26, 2014 08:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 929165)
No Malicious contact by anyone?

Peace

Doesn't exist in NCAA.

jicecone Wed Mar 26, 2014 09:13pm

Some things to consider for this play.

Collision Rule (NCAA 2014)
SECTION 7. The rules committee is concerned about unnecessary and violent collisions with the catcher at home plate, and with infielders at all bases. The intent of this rule is to encourage base runners and defensive players to avoid such collisions whenever possible.

(1) The runner must make an actual attempt to reach the base (plate). PENALTY—If the runner attempts to dislodge the ball or initiates an avoidable collision, the runner shall be declared out, even if the fielder loses possession of the ball. The ball is dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

(2) The runner may not attempt to dislodge the ball from the fielder. Contact above the waist shall be judged by the umpire as an attempt by the runner to dislodge the ball.

PENALTY—If the contact is flagrant or malicious before the runner touches the plate, the runner shall be declared out and also ejected from the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

(3) The runner must attempt to avoid a collision if he can reach the base without colliding.

PENALTY—If the contact is flagrant or malicious after the runner touches the base (plate), the runner is safe, but is ejected from the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. If this occurs at any base other than home, the offending team may replace the runner. If the contact occurs after a preceding runner touches home plate, the preceding runner is safe. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the contact.

rcaverly Wed Mar 26, 2014 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 929127)
NFHS: Ball's within a step and a reach. The fielder's still protected.

Rich, can you provide a reference in NFHS for the "step and a reach" criteria?

I have 8-4-2g ...A fielder is not protected, except from intentional contact if he misplays the ball and has to move from his original location...1...If a fielder drops a batted ball and contact with a runner occurs during a subsequent attempt to field the ball, the fielder has the greater responsibility for avoiding contact.

Matt Wed Mar 26, 2014 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 929171)
Some things to consider for this play.

Collision Rule (NCAA 2014)
SECTION 7. The rules committee is concerned about unnecessary and violent collisions with the catcher at home plate, and with infielders at all bases. The intent of this rule is to encourage base runners and defensive players to avoid such collisions whenever possible.

(1) The runner must make an actual attempt to reach the base (plate). PENALTY—If the runner attempts to dislodge the ball or initiates an avoidable collision, the runner shall be declared out, even if the fielder loses possession of the ball. The ball is dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

(2) The runner may not attempt to dislodge the ball from the fielder. Contact above the waist shall be judged by the umpire as an attempt by the runner to dislodge the ball.

PENALTY—If the contact is flagrant or malicious before the runner touches the plate, the runner shall be declared out and also ejected from the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

(3) The runner must attempt to avoid a collision if he can reach the base without colliding.

PENALTY—If the contact is flagrant or malicious after the runner touches the base (plate), the runner is safe, but is ejected from the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. If this occurs at any base other than home, the offending team may replace the runner. If the contact occurs after a preceding runner touches home plate, the preceding runner is safe. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the contact.

You forgot the most relevant part--this only applies if the fielder is in possession of the ball.

umpjim Wed Mar 26, 2014 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 929178)
You forgot the most relevant part--this only applies if the fielder is in possession of the ball.

If you parse the rule I don't see where position of the ball is required in all cases.

Matt Wed Mar 26, 2014 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 929179)
If you parse the rule I don't see where position of the ball is required in all cases.

That's because he, for some reason, removed it. The missing part is in bold belpw:

"The rules committee is concerned about unnecessary and violent collisions with the catcher at home plate, and with infielders at all bases. The intent of this rule is to encourage base runners and defensive players to avoid such collisions whenever possible.

When there is a collision between a runner and a fielder who clearly is in possession of the ball, the umpire shall judge:

If the defensive player blocks the base (plate) or base line with clear possession of the ball, the runner may make contact, slide into or make contact with a fielder as long as the runner is making a legitimate attempt to reach the base (plate). Contact above the waist that was initiated by the base runner shall not be judged as an attempt to reach the base or plate.

(1) The runner must make an actual attempt to reach the base (plate).

PENALTY: If the runner attempts to dislodge the ball or initiates an avoidable collision, the runner shall be declared out, even if the fielder loses possession of the ball. The ball is dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

PENALTY: If the contact is flagrant or malicious before the runner touches the plate, the runner shall be declared out and also ejected from the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

PENALTY: If the contact is flagrant or malicious after the runner touches the base (plate), the runner is safe, but is ejected from the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. If this occurs at any base other than home, the offending team may replace the runner.

If the contact occurs after a preceding runner touches home plate, the preceding runner is safe. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the contact.

(4) If the runner's path to the base is blocked and (1), (2), and (3) are fulfilled, it is considered unavoidable contact (see Rule 2-54, Obstruction)."

It's kind of important, because that's the relevant part of the rule.

jicecone Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:09pm

Your right Matt because, that part of the rule does only pertain to a fielder in possession of the ball, which was not the case here.

However, Par 3 can be applicable.

The Title of the Rule is "Collision Rule"

I believe it covers both situations though.

JMO