The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Catcher's interference? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/97573-catchers-interference.html)

bsaucer Fri Mar 21, 2014 07:08pm

Catcher's interference?

Can a catcher be guilty of interference if the batter doesn't swing? What if the catcher reaches his mitt against the batter's body while catching an inside pitch?

Rich Ives Fri Mar 21, 2014 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaucer (Post 928119)
Can a catcher be guilty of interference if the batter doesn't swing? What if the catcher reaches his mitt against the batter's body while catching an inside pitch?

If the catcher jumped out in front of the plate and the batter thus didn't swing would that be catcher's interference?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:07pm

A catcher cannot commit interference but a catcher can commit obstruction.

MTD, Sr.

Rich Ives Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 928147)
A catcher cannot commit interference but a catcher can commit obstruction.

MTD, Sr.

This is baseball. In OBR and NCAA it's interference. In FED it's obstruction.

BT_Blue Sat Mar 22, 2014 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 928154)

And this is semantics. However, when explaining to rookies and such the difference between INT and OBS, CI always gets brought up and explaining it the way the FED book does is actually a whole hell of a lot simpler.

Rich Ives Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:46pm

So if it's only semantics then it's OK if a coach comes out calls obstruction interference - right? :D

bob jenkins Sun Mar 23, 2014 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 928306)
So if it's only semantics then it's OK if a coach comes out calls obstruction interference - right? :D

It is, for me. I know what he's asking about and I would not correct him. I will use the correct term in my response -- including CI under OBR and CO under FED.

dash_riprock Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 928318)
It is, for me. I know what he's asking about and I would not correct him.

Me too. The more I have to say, the longer he is out there.

jicecone Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaucer (Post 928119)

1. Yes.

2. Depending upon location of ball at the time and whether or not you determine that it interfered with the batters ability to attempt to hit it.

You can determine what you officially want to call it (interference or obstruction) after you determine if there is a violation of the rules.

Manny A Mon Mar 24, 2014 09:37am

Quote:

And in softball, all codes that I'm aware of, including NCAA Softball, call it catcher's obstruction.

One of these days, OBR will get it right, and NCAA Baseball will follow suit. :D

CT1 Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:18am

Quote:

On a FED test, I'll call it Obstruction. On the field, I call it Interference, and nobody has any question as to what I've got.

dash_riprock Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:05pm

I have heard it called a moving pick.