The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Mask Recommendations (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/97256-mask-recommendations.html)

Spence Wed Feb 12, 2014 01:04pm

Mask Recommendations

New umpire. Looking for a good mask . Saw a few older threads in here where the doeskin Wilson West Vest mask was recommended. Looking for a few others. Mainly want good protection. Not looking to go cheap.

Thanks

dash_riprock Wed Feb 12, 2014 02:59pm

Diamond Ultralight frame (black) with Team Wendy's pads (tan) from Honigs. The Diamond pads that come with the mask are fine for kids, but I would change them to something more substantial if you are going to be working anything above JV. Unless the Wilson is titanium ($), it's going to be much heavier than the Diamond.

michblue Wed Feb 12, 2014 03:13pm

I personally recommend the Nike mask if you can find one. I love mine. However, a lot of MiLB guys wear the Diamond Mask or the new major league style mask that Diamond just came out with.

Best and more important recommendation for you, buy accordingly to protect you no matter what level you are working.

UMP45 Wed Feb 12, 2014 06:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by michblue (Post 922528)
I personally recommend the Nike mask if you can find one. I love mine. However, a lot of MiLB guys wear the Diamond Mask or the new major league style mask that Diamond just came out with.

Best and more important recommendation for you, buy accordingly to protect you no matter what level you are working.

Yeh... If you want to pay $400+!

BSUmp16 Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 922522)
Diamond Ultralight frame (black) with Team Wendy's pads (tan) from Honigs. The Diamond pads that come with the mask are fine for kids, but I would change them to something more substantial if you are going to be working anything above JV. Unless the Wilson is titanium ($), it's going to be much heavier than the Diamond.

My first mask was the Wilson Dyna-lite. I bought it for two reasons 1) it was Wilson so I figured it was good quality; and 2) it was supposed to be light weight. It was fine, but I had my chimes rung a few times and it wasn't all that light. So I switched to the Diamond Ultralight with stock pads - much lighter weight and the times I got hit, it did a remarkable job protecting me. Now I've switched to the Team Wendy pads and I'm really happy - good protection, lightweight and comfortable.

michblue Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:20pm

UMP45,

Without explaining how, I caught a HUGE break on my Nike mask.

Insane Blue Thu Feb 13, 2014 01:15pm

I just bought the Honigs mask with Team Wendy pads will use it for the first time this weekend.

UMP45 Thu Feb 13, 2014 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by michblue (Post 922564)
UMP45,

Without explaining how, I caught a HUGE break on my Nike mask.

I hope it's a REAL Nike! If it is great.

Sco53 Fri Feb 14, 2014 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 922635)
I just bought the Honigs mask with Team Wendy pads will use it for the first time this weekend.

This is very nice, have used the same setup for two years.

JJ Fri Feb 14, 2014 01:22pm

Which Honig's mask is everyone talking about? Catalog #, please?

Thanks

JJ

Insane Blue Fri Feb 14, 2014 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 922810)
Which Honig's mask is everyone talking about? Catalog #, please?

Thanks

JJ

Honig's Whistle Stop - K94 - SINGLE BAR PRO-LINE MASK WITH Team Wendy ZORBIUM PADDING

Sco53 Fri Feb 14, 2014 04:43pm

I got mine at a clinic and they threw in a mask bag as well

sharkman Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:47pm

mask

Champro Pro-Plus Magnesium Umpire Mask (#CM58-L) 99.95 and lightest on the market. Available at Ump-Attire. Great protection. I have worn it ever since it came out and have taken "a few" with no residual effects at all!
You can also switch out the pads if you want.

michblue Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:23pm

UMP45,

It is a REAL Nike Mask straight from them directly.