The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Courtesy runner implementation

My state just adopted the use of courtesy runners.
The rules are as stated on page 64 of the NFHS 2014 Baseball Rules Book.
The stated goal of this rule chance is to speed up the game.

My concern as an Umpire is that in order to properly implement this rule it will require a lot of additional in-game record keeping.

Do any of you gentlemen have any tips or suggestions on how to keep my "paperwork" in order without holding up the game we are trying to speed up?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
My state just adopted the use of courtesy runners.
The rules are as stated on page 64 of the NFHS 2014 Baseball Rules Book.
The stated goal of this rule chance is to speed up the game.

My concern as an Umpire is that in order to properly implement this rule it will require a lot of additional in-game record keeping.

Do any of you gentlemen have any tips or suggestions on how to keep my "paperwork" in order without holding up the game we are trying to speed up?
On the back of your line-up card, or wherever you record your subs, just make a note. Some guys make a "chart" to show the # and inning for both F1 and F2:

Inning: 1--2--3--4--5--6--7--
F1:.....12-------12
F2:

I just write the player's number, whether he's running for F1 or F2, and the inning. So 12CR1 - 1, 4 would show that #12 ran for F1 in the first and 4th innings.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Good advice Bob.

Now, mentally track just how many time the "speed-up rule" actually slows the game down in some games because the runner can't find their helmet or the coach waits to tell his players they are CRing until the catcher or pitcher actually get on, etc.................

The rule should only be for the catcher with two outs, because it gives them a chance to get their equipment on before the next inning. but I also understand that it gets more players in the game.

It is still amusing though when it takes what seems like forever to utilize a rule that is supposed to speed up the game.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 03:16pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Now, mentally track just how many time the "speed-up rule" actually slows the game down in some games because the runner can't find their helmet or the coach waits to tell his players they are CRing until the catcher or pitcher actually get on, etc.................
I've never viewed the courtesy runner rule as a "speed-up rule". After all, what speeding up does the pitcher need? He can get off the bases, go grab his glove, and head back to the mound faster than an outfielder can do that. The only speed-up rule out there is the one that gives teams one minute to get ready to start the next half-inning.

To me, the real purpose behind the courtesy runner rule is to give the two hardest working players on defense an opportunity to take a breather before they have to go back out onto the field.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I've never viewed the courtesy runner rule as a "speed-up rule". After all, what speeding up does the pitcher need? He can get off the bases, go grab his glove, and head back to the mound faster than an outfielder can do that. The only speed-up rule out there is the one that gives teams one minute to get ready to start the next half-inning.

To me, the real purpose behind the courtesy runner rule is to give the two hardest working players on defense an opportunity to take a breather before they have to go back out onto the field.
The speed up notion is more along the lines of the catcher getting dressed - but I agree with you that it's only a speed up rule in idea only. It seems to not work that way functionally and is really more along the lines of what you just said.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

I do something similar .

I put player number followed by CR, then P or C, followed by top or bottom then inning number.

E.G. 12CRC^3 Would mean, number 12 wars a CR for the catcher in the top of the third.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
RB, I keep my substitutions on the front of the line up card.

On the back, I will have a short list of events:
FV-2/1/13 - This is the first visit, 2nd inning, 1 out, 13 at bat
CR-2/9 - This is courtesy runner #9 in the second inning. I keep track of who they are running for by drawing either a circle or square around their jersy number. Circle for F1 and square for F2.
SV-4/2/4, Second visit, 2 outs, 4 at bat.

By denoting which position the CR ran for, you can immediately see if something is not right. The same CR can't run for F1 and F2 even if different innings. Also if you have a different number running for a position, you can look at the front of your card and see if this is an eligible CR.

It may seem complicated as first when you look at it, but it's simple and easy to look back to see who ran before. Also if you have a continuation game, you can pass your lineup cards onto the new crew and they know who did what.

Last edited by nopachunts; Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 04:38pm.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 01:16pm
Official & ***** Member

My shorthand for courtesy runners is simply:

23/C/3

If #23 runs again for the catcher, I just add that inning number:

23/C/3-6

I use the back of the offensive team's lineup card, where I also record their charged trips.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Also, one reminder since you are new to NFHS courtesy runner rule. Dont allow runner for a projected substitute.

Coach: Runner for #7
Umpire: Coach #7 is not F1 or F2...
Coach: #7 is going to pitch next inning
Umpire: cannot allow a courtesy runner till he has been on the mound..

Coaches who know the rule still try and get away with this one, so in a state just using the CR rule, your going to see it alot.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 03:07pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Wow, some people tend to overcomplicate things, IMHO.

All I do is annotate the CR's number and inning right next to name of the current F1 or F2 (and not in the "Substitutes" column of the lineup card). For example:

#8 F1 SMITH, B. CR12(3)
#2 F6 WALKER, R
#6 F2 JONES, J. CR16(4)

This means #12 courtesy ran for F1 in the third, and #16 CR'ed for #6 in the fourth. I don't use the back of my lineup card for anything.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Wow, some people tend to overcomplicate things, IMHO.

All I do is annotate the CR's number and inning right next to name of the current F1 or F2 (and not in the "Substitutes" column of the lineup card). For example:

#8 F1 SMITH, B. CR12(3)
#2 F6 WALKER, R
#6 F2 JONES, J. CR16(4)

This means #12 courtesy ran for F1 in the third, and #16 CR'ed for #6 in the fourth. I don't use the back of my lineup card for anything.
I, personally, would find that method confusing -- what do you do if Smith and Jones swap spots? 12 can still only run for the pitcher (who is now Jones) and 16 can still only run for the catcher (who is now Smith).

So, I guess the point to the OP is -- find a method that works for you -- consistent with how you already record other game events.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 04:00pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I, personally, would find that method confusing -- what do you do if Smith and Jones swap spots? 12 can still only run for the pitcher (who is now Jones) and 16 can still only run for the catcher (who is now Smith).
Honestly, I've never thought of that, and I can't recall that it has ever happened. I suppose I could make the changes to my card as follows:

#8 XX F2(5) SMITH, B. XXXXXX CR16(_)
#2 F6 WALKER, R
#6 XX F1(5) JONES, J. XXXXXX CR12(_)

Sorry; couldn't do line-thru, so I used Xs. But it would actually be a line through the changes so I can see them. If 12 or 16 don't CR for them, or someone else does, no biggie; I just line through those new annotations.

And, Yes, I make my changes quite small.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

At the pregame meeting I do emphasize that it is a speed up rule so "coaches, please have your courtesy runner ready to go".

12 CRP --3
16 CRC -- 5
Works for me.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
Also, one reminder since you are new to NFHS courtesy runner rule. Dont allow runner for a projected substitute.
The other thing they try to get away with is using the same runner for both the pitcher and the catcher, especially if it's in a different inning. (Some codes apparently allow this.)
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Page 64 NFHS rule book:
7) A player who violates the courtesy-runner rule is considered to be an illegal substitute.

Do I use the penalty prescribed in Rule 3 Art 1. (calling the player out)
Is it my job to prevent an illegal substitution or let the cheating/incompetent coach commit the infraction and penalize it after the fact?