The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Does anyone currently use the Umpire Helmet? I am going to umpiring school this coming January in Florida, and I have been very serious consideration in switching from regular mask to umpire helmet? Could I get some customers opinions on the product?
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Helmet

I use the helmet and stay cooler since I don't have a plate hat on trapping in body heat. My field of vision is also greater wearing the helmet. I've only taken one shot to the helmet from a foul ball and it absorbed hit well and there was no rattle or echo. Had I been wearing my POS Ultra lite mask, this same shot would have spun the mask across my face.

Michael
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
I use the helmet, and usaully i dont wear a hat unless its asa then i have too. But overall I like the helmet. Much better vision than the traditional.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I'm sold on it

After using a +POS ultralite mask for the last 2 years, which I really liked over my previous heavy wire mask, I swtiched to the All Star helmet this year. I wouldn't think of going back to my mask and cap again. It is cooler than the mask/cap, and the field of view you have with the helmet, is excellent.
Try one on before you buy it. I think you'll like what you see and feel.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I have to agree on the above. I have taken a number of shots off the head in the 2 years I have used the helmet and none of them and hurt. One of them was from a pitcher with a mid to upper 90's fastball, off an aluminum bat and it never phased me. That same foul tip has put MLB blues with a mask in the hospital a couple times this year.

While it keeps you cooler, you will need to keep a small towel handy to whipe sweat since you do not have the cap to catch the majority of the sweat.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 08:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

They force you to wear a hat under the helmet?

That's laughable. Of course, they tell you EXACTLY how to do everything in ASA, don't they?

Rich
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

ive never had a problem with my +POS mask. ive been a catcher all my life, and in umpiring for 7 years its never been too bad. ive taken upper 80's foul balls straight in the mask and it didnt bother me. i dont have a problem with the mask's field of vision either. im sticking to it, im not sure where everyone all of a sudden started seeing problems with them.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Not a problem with +POS

Brian,
I had no problem with my +POS mask at all. I really liked it, and would go back to it without hesitation, if I had to for a short time.
I bought my helmet after a "friend" took my +POS ultralite on a "short vacation". I bought the helmet and really liked using it. When my +POS finally found its way back into my hands, I was already hooked on the helmet. If not for the lost mask, I'd without a doubt, still be using it. Stuff happens. I made a change, and I liked it enough to stay with it, when it came time to make a choice between the two.
It's not for everyone, but for some like me; I love it.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Thank you very much guys for all of the great feedback on the umpire helmet.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brian43
+POS mask.....im sticking to it, im not sure where everyone all of a sudden started seeing problems with them.
Earlier this year, I saw on another board, where the +POS ultralites had a safety problem. Seems under cold conditions, a fast hard ball may cause the composite to crack. This may be a problem way up north, but, down here in Texas, I don't worry about umpiring baseball in cold months.

I have heard recently, that the safety issue has been resolved and +POS are now selling them again.

Newter

Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Newter
Quote:
Originally posted by brian43
Earlier this year, I saw on another board, where the +POS ultralites had a safety problem. Seems under cold conditions, a fast hard ball may cause the composite to crack. This may be a problem way up north, but, down here in Texas, I don't worry about umpiring baseball in cold months.

I have heard recently, that the safety issue has been resolved and +POS are now selling them again.

Newter
i thought that was with the old (sort of old) +POS SUL masks, not the regular single bar ultralight frames. maybe im wrong.