The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Tigers-Red Sox: Fan Interference? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/96287-tigers-red-sox-fan-interference.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:22pm

Tigers-Red Sox: Fan Interference?

I don't have a video of the play in the bottom of the 9th inning of tonight's game but if someone could post it I would be eternally grateful. I am a Yankees, Indians, and Pirates fan, but my better half is a Tigers fan and she was sure it was fan interference. To be honest I thought it was but basketball is my first game. What say everybody? Thanks.

MTD, Sr.

AremRed Mon Oct 14, 2013 03:52am

Here is the video: ALCS Game 2: Saltalamacchia stays alive after missed foul catch

I thought it was interference watching live, but after watching the video after the game I think there is clearly no interference. Fielder simply missed the catch.

grunewar Mon Oct 14, 2013 07:19am

.....and the Ump was right there. I mean RIGHT there!

hbk314 Mon Oct 14, 2013 08:17am

I'm on my phone now, but I don't remember there being any contact.

Rich Ives Mon Oct 14, 2013 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbk314 (Post 907528)
I'm on my phone now, but I don't remember there being any contact.

Go to the board and write 100 times:

"Contact is not required for interference"

Then watch the video because there was. But if the ball is beyond the field boundary (face of the fence) then there cannot be fan interference by rule.

Rich Ives Mon Oct 14, 2013 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 907505)
I don't have a video of the play in the bottom of the 9th inning of tonight's game but if someone could post it I would be eternally grateful. I am a Yankees, Indians, and Pirates fan, but my better half is a Tigers fan and she was sure it was fan interference. To be honest I thought it was but basketball is my first game. What say everybody? Thanks.

MTD, Sr.

If the ball is beyond the face of the fence then by rule there cannot be interference. Replays were inconclusive about this from my perspective.

JJ Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:08am

Looked like interference to me. F3 was reaching toward that imaginary line, but I don't think he nor the ball crossed it. That would mean the fan DID.

JJ

Rich Ives Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 907546)
Looked like interference to me. F3 was reaching toward that imaginary line, but I don't think he nor the ball crossed it. That would mean the fan DID.

JJ

Which is why I said replays were inconclusive.

hbk314 Mon Oct 14, 2013 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 907532)
Go to the board and write 100 times:

"Contact is not required for interference"

Then watch the video because there was. But if the ball is beyond the field boundary (face of the fence) then there cannot be fan interference by rule.

The contact to his arm came after he failed to catch it.

His knowing the fans are there and failing to catch it without them actually doing something to interfere doesn't make it interference, whether it had been in play or not.

Rich Ives Mon Oct 14, 2013 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbk314 (Post 907583)
The contact to his arm came after he failed to catch it.

His knowing the fans are there and failing to catch it without them actually doing something to interfere doesn't make it interference, whether it had been in play or not.

Write another 100 times: "Contact is not required for interference".

Forget the word "contact" even exists.

Was the play inhibited? Where was the ball at the time?

hbk314 Mon Oct 14, 2013 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 907587)
Write another 100 times: "Contact is not required for interference".

Forget the word "contact" even exists.

Was the play inhibited? Where was the ball at the time?

"Spectator interference occurs when a spectator reaches out of the stands and over the playing field, or goes on the playing field, and (1) touches a live ball or (2) touches a player and hinders an attempt to make a play on a live ball."

EsqUmp Tue Oct 15, 2013 06:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbk314 (Post 907589)
"Spectator interference occurs when a spectator reaches out of the stands and over the playing field, or goes on the playing field, and (1) touches a live ball or (2) touches a player and hinders an attempt to make a play on a live ball."

True. But you must continue reading the rule book until you get to where the definition is put to use. That occurs at Rule 3.16. Read the commentary below it and you will see the following language "or otherwise interfering with a player." The "or" comes right after the word "touching."

Certainly, MLB is not going to allow a spectator to run onto the field, causing an outfielder to run around the spectator, only to miss catching the ball by an inch.

MLB allows for common sense interpretation and rule enforcement, rather than pinpointing 100% black and white language in every situation, like so many other codes.