The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Purpose of extra umpires? (5&6) (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/96230-purpose-extra-umpires-5-6-a.html)

bjenkins Mon Oct 07, 2013 06:02pm

Purpose of extra umpires? (5&6)

Can someone explain the responsibilities of the two outfield umpires working a six man crew? Is it fair/foul from the base to the fence or do they also have catch/no-catch responsibility? If yes to the catch/no-catch do they have the entire outfield?

JJ Mon Oct 07, 2013 07:12pm

Hmmm....I believe they have fair/foul from where they are to the foul pole, and catch/no catch is the whole outfield IF the 2B umpire is inside and if the 2B umpire is outside then their coverage is from F7 to the line and F9 to the line. They are also a "second set of eyes" on outfield catches that are not their primary responsibility.

JJ

rpumpire Mon Oct 07, 2013 07:43pm

The fair/foul responsibilities of the outfield umpires are from behind the base umpires to the fence, not from the bases themselves.

BigTex Mon Oct 07, 2013 08:31pm

RF and LF umpires do not have any fair/foul responsibility in front of them.

rpumpire Mon Oct 07, 2013 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTex (Post 906939)

Yes, they do. They have any ball between the base umpires and themselves.

bob jenkins Tue Oct 08, 2013 07:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpumpire (Post 906938)
The fair/foul responsibilities of the outfield umpires are from behind the base umpires to the fence, not from the bases themselves.

Quote:

Depends on the mechanics being used, since the OP didn't specify.

MD Longhorn Tue Oct 08, 2013 08:43am

U5 is named "Window"
U6 is named "Dressing".

Manny A Tue Oct 08, 2013 09:46am

Quote:

Then maybe somebody should straighten that out with them. I've seen them signal fair/foul on balls that are between them and their U1/U3 partners.

In fact, in a Rays/Red Sox game at Fenway, LFU Mike Winters got hit with a fair ball as it sliced toward him. He signalled fair when the ball hit the ground in front of him, and as he was trying to move into foul territory away from the ball, it still got him.

Rich Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 906960)

Exactly.

Some mechanics have the ULF and URF taking everything past the wing umpires. Some have the ULF and URF taking only balls past them to the fence.

Perhaps they are making it up as they go.

Publius Tue Oct 08, 2013 07:44pm

I still hope the day comes when they position them near the outfield fence, where they could add value (see, e.g., Tigers/A's game 4). With expanded replay, that probably won't happen, though.

BigTex Tue Oct 08, 2013 07:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 906960)

I guess that is my fault for jumping to the MLB conclusion. I can speak for MLBUM and NCAA mechanics that say ULF and URF have fair/foul responsibilities behind them and U1 and U3 have fair foul from the base to ULF/URF.

DG Tue Oct 08, 2013 09:37pm

Can't say I have ever seen a book with 6 man mechanics in it, and the only game I have ever worked with 6 men I was behind the plate. The pre-game was interesting, as we went through 4 man, and then I looked at the field guys and told them "I don't know what to say, other than get the trap calls in LF and RF and Fair/Foul on any balls near you, and enjoy the game".

But, I would think a LFU could call fair/foul better on a ball that lands just in front of him than the 3BU who is turning around and some distance from the ball landing.

Come to think of it, I was at 1B for another 6 man game and I don't think the RFU had a call to make throughout the game.

Matt Tue Oct 08, 2013 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 907056)
But, I would think a LFU could call fair/foul better on a ball that lands just in front of him than the 3BU who is turning around and some distance from the ball landing.

I think any umpire can call fair/foul better on a ball landing just in front of him.

Manny A Wed Oct 09, 2013 05:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 906976)
Exactly.

Some mechanics have the ULF and URF taking everything past the wing umpires. Some have the ULF and URF taking only balls past them to the fence.

So what is the MLB mechanic? I would have expected a set procedure for consistency sake. Or are you suggesting that it's up to the crew to decide during pregame?

I agree that they add very little value to the game, especially since what they are primarily responsible for--determination of a HR, no HR, or spectator interference at the fence, and fair/foul near the foul pole--is reviewable with instant replay. And when IR expands, it will make them even more irrelevant.

DG Wed Oct 09, 2013 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 907059)
I think any umpire can call fair/foul better on a ball landing just in front of him.

I was commenting on the suggestion that the responsibility was fair/foul from where they are to the foul pole, which would leave out a ball landing in front of them, which seems wrong to me.