The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

In MLB, if a player catches a potential home run ball, and then simulataneously falls over the outfield fence (in fair play), is this counted as a home run, an out, or a ground rule double?
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 07:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ghill
In MLB, if a player catches a potential home run ball, and then simulataneously falls over the outfield fence (in fair play), is this counted as a home run, an out, or a ground rule double?
an out

Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Homerun Ruling??

OK, thanks. So it is not up to the Umpires judgement, or anything of that sort?
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Homerun Ruling??

Quote:
Well, I guess it's umpire's judgement as to whether the ball was really caught or not. And in a field with a fence that is not very tall (e.g. Dodger Stadium), I guess it's an upire's judgement as to whether the fielder was over the fence before he made the catch.

BTW, if the player falls into deadball territory after making a catch, then any runners advance one base.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Wink MUST WE........

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
Quote:
Well, I guess it's umpire's judgement as to whether the ball was really caught or not. And in a field with a fence that is not very tall (e.g. Dodger Stadium), I guess it's an upire's judgement as to whether the fielder was over the fence before he made the catch.

BTW, if the player falls into deadball territory after making a catch, then any runners advance one base.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
Bring my Dodgers into this...? They be sucking wind, big time! i gotta deal with these giants fans where I am at!!
Onto the fence issue, if f7 makes a catch, over the vertical of the fence, breaks some ribones, smashes a nut,bruises a kidney,....I got an out!You be correct if he falls,but .....credit the "D" if they make a great play
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Re: MUST WE........

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
... over the vertical of the fence...
You are correct; my answer was vague. I did not mean to imply the fielder could not be over the vertical of the fence and make the catch for an out, as long as he has not landed in DBT before actually making the catch.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Yes it is an out. But because the fielder carried the ball into dead ball teritory would any other runners be awarded bases? I am unsure on OBR rules.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Yes it is an out. But because the fielder carried the ball into dead ball teritory would any other runners be awarded bases? I am unsure on OBR rules.
All runners advance one base I believe if the fielder FALLS into DBT.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Now he falls.

Quote:
Originally posted by CDcoach
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
All runners advance one base I believe if the fielder FALLS into DBT.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Show me the ball!!!! Correct on the award for runners.......NOW, how many of us youth leages have actual stadiums,my semi-pro and JUCO stuff has no seating in the outfield.most fences are taller than fielders.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

If a player catches the ball and goes over the fence it is a home run. MLB rules state that for it to be an out the players feet have to land on the field for it to be considered an out. Therefore lets say Barry Bonds hits a ball that should be a home run, Shawn Green jumps to cath the ball and lands outside the field, it is a home run. Now if Shawn Green where to have landed on the playing field, it would have been an out.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Where did you learn that fact, Spidersquall? It's not in my MLB rulebook.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spidersquall
If a player catches the ball and goes over the fence it is a home run. MLB rules state that for it to be an out the players feet have to land on the field for it to be considered an out. Therefore lets say Barry Bonds hits a ball that should be a home run, Shawn Green jumps to cath the ball and lands outside the field, it is a home run. Now if Shawn Green where to have landed on the playing field, it would have been an out.

Sorry man you are wrong on that one....
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 04:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Welcome to the forum, spidersquall.

The posters here are pretty sharp.
...And they have books that are worn out from turnin' pages.

Stick around.
mick
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
MLB rules state that for it to be an out the players feet have to land on the field for it to be considered an out.
No, no, no, no spidersquall ... that should read "NFL rules state that for it to be a touchdown the players feet have to land in the ingoal area for it to be considered a completion."
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well this flies in the face of the Official Baseball Rules which, I believe, the MLB still uses.