The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 15, 2013, 02:35am
In Time Out

Balking Bob

Did anybody happen to see the balk Bob Davidson called on a Milwaukee pitcher tonight? I can't find any video.

All I saw was the pitcher break his hands, and step off the rubber with his pivot foot. The only thing I can think of was there was a start/stop before I saw what the pitcher did.

I'm trying to find out what the pitcher was actually balked for.
Old Thu Aug 15, 2013, 05:05am
Official Forum Member

If he separates his hands BEFORE stepping off that is a balk.
Old Thu Aug 15, 2013, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
...the pitcher break his hands, and step off the rubber ...
You must step off of the rubber before breaking your hands. If he broke his hands first, it's a balk.

Having said that, Bob Davidson tends to detect balks where no other mortal can detect them. I think he can actually sense when a pitcher is thinking about balking and call it preemptively.
Old Thu Aug 15, 2013, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
you must step off of the rubber before breaking your hands. If he broke his hands first, it's a balk.

Having said that, bob davidson tends to detect balks where no other mortal can detect them. I think he can actually sense when a pitcher is thinking about balking and call it preemptively.
1+
Old Thu Aug 15, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
1+
His hands weren't together yet. According to the announcers he started his stretch and then stepped off. The video shows his pitching arm starting forward slightly to come set and then he stepped off.
I thought you could step off during your stretch. It may be that the arm stopped for a millisecond before he stepped off so that became the "started and stopped."
Old Thu Aug 15, 2013, 11:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
His hands weren't together yet. According to the announcers he started his stretch and then stepped off. The video shows his pitching arm starting forward slightly to come set and then he stepped off.
I thought you could step off during your stretch. It may be that the arm stopped for a millisecond before he stepped off so that became the "started and stopped."
Any video?
Old Thu Aug 15, 2013, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Any video?
I have the MLB subscription. Can't capture it for you. TX - Brewers 8/14, bottom 3, Leonys Martin at bat.
Old Thu Aug 15, 2013, 04:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I have the MLB subscription. Can't capture it for you. TX - Brewers 8/14, bottom 3, Leonys Martin at bat.
I do too. I'll look it up.
Old Thu Aug 22, 2013, 10:06am
In Time Out

From what I saw, it looked like he was starting a stretch to come set, broke his hands, and stepped off the rubber sort of slowly.

I only saw one short replay, but didn't see anything that looked like a balk. I was curious if he did something prior to the balk call, and just stopped his motion when it was called.
Old Thu Aug 22, 2013, 10:45am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
From what I saw, it looked like he was starting a stretch to come set, broke his hands, and stepped off the rubber sort of slowly.

I only saw one short replay, but didn't see anything that looked like a balk.
8.05(a)?
Old Thu Aug 22, 2013, 11:15am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
8.05(a)?
But he never stopped his motion. Believe me, if I could find some video. It wouldn't look like a balk. It might have been, but in real time it doesn't to me.

I suppose at that level, and with Davidson behind the plate it was something I wouldn't notice from behind the plate.
Old Thu Aug 22, 2013, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I only saw one short replay, but didn't see anything that looked like a balk. I was curious if he did something prior to the balk call, and just stopped his motion when it was called.
He had not come set yet. His hands were at his sides. The pitching arm might have had a slight twitch toward coming set as or just before he stepped off. He also starts open and his torso comes closed when he sets. Davidson either had the arm twitch and/or the very slight torso rotation as the start and stop before he started to step off. Only Bob would see that.
Old Sat Aug 24, 2013, 03:12pm
In Time Out

Quote:
He had not come set yet. His hands were at his sides. The pitching arm might have had a slight twitch toward coming set as or just before he stepped off. He also starts open and his torso comes closed when he sets. Davidson either had the arm twitch and/or the very slight torso rotation as the start and stop before he started to step off. Only Bob would see that.
That's for sure. Sorry I couldn't dig up video.

On a side note, I saw someone very similar to Joe West come out of an all you can eat place by Ranger's Ballpark. It just happens he was in town at the time. The guy had more heft than Joe though.