The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,491
Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
At least PU in this game looks like this isn't his first rodeo.....he gets my vote for the dish in the 'ship !!!!! ( At least compared to everything else I have seen )
Good solid (GD) stance! Timing is good, somewhat inconsistent zone at times, but still a very good job!
__________________
Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 09:32pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
And now I just watched U2 brush off second base. I give up.
Brushes are OK as long as they're only used to brush out the pegs under the safety bases if the bases get dislodged. If he used it on top of the base, well...
Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)  
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Brushes are OK as long as they're only used to brush out the pegs under the safety bases if the bases get dislodged. If he used it on top of the base, well...
There are numerous designs of safety bases. That being said, knowing that safety bases are being used would not make me think about taking a brush on the field. In fact, the magnetic bases might require a broom. In any case, what i have seen and do is kick whatever dirt interfers with putting the base back and dropping it on the appropriate spot. There gonna come loose the next time no matter what you do. Most of the time I let the player, offense or defense do it.
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 18, 2013, 07:46am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Oh, good God. That pitch was in the other batter's box. And the announcers pretended it was a perfect pitch, to boot.

And Strike 3 was a clinic in how not to work the plate.
I don't like bashing umpires, but this gentleman was clearly in serious need of basic PU training. Notwithstanding his poor judgment and goofy strike calls, his slot moved as the catcher moved. It's as if he felt his proper positioning was just over the catcher's inside shoulder, no matter where the catcher set up. So he ended up behind the opposite batter's box for that last strike.

They tell us to do what got you here when you get picked to work high-level games. But this is something that has to be fixed before an umpire steps out onto the field. Some kind of assessment should be done of these ladies and gentlemen before the series starts. Williamsport is only bringing ridicule upon itself to let something like this go without making an attempt to remedy beforehand.
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 18, 2013, 08:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 323
Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
This poor codger is an embarrassment. Funny part is, if you watch Jr., Sr. or Big League tourneys, you'll see competent arbiters using standard mechanics.

THE BIG QUESTION: How come THESE guys aren't in W-port? My guess is that they're not old enough, not in with the right crowd, don't have rabbis or are simply JUST TOO GOOD.

Ace
__________________
There is no such thing as idiot-proof, only idiot-resistant.

Last edited by aceholleran; Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 08:45am.
Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 18, 2013, 10:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,458
Nowadays, Williamsport could require video of every umpire that was being considered by all the Regionals for TV games. That way they could screen them for mechanics, game management, and if they can see their belt buckle when they look down (or at least their shoes, for Gosh sakes).
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 18, 2013, 11:19am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,491
Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Nowadays, Williamsport could require video of every umpire that was being considered by all the Regionals for TV games. That way they could screen them for mechanics, game management, and if they can see their belt buckle when they look down (or at least their shoes, for Gosh sakes).
Last I knew, all the umpires are nominated by their District Admininstrator, have done numerous District, Divisional, State and Regional Tournaments. They have been seen and everyone knows how they umpire. There are generally no surprises at W'Port. I don't think a guy could become so completely unraveled to the point of incompetence.
__________________
Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 18, 2013, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
There are numerous designs of safety bases. That being said, knowing that safety bases are being used would not make me think about taking a brush on the field. In fact, the magnetic bases might require a broom. In any case, what i have seen and do is kick whatever dirt interfers with putting the base back and dropping it on the appropriate spot. There gonna come loose the next time no matter what you do. Most of the time I let the player, offense or defense do it.

My league uses those bases. Trust me when I say, you want a broom.

Rita
Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 18, 2013, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 503
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
This poor codger is an embarrassment. Funny part is, if you watch Jr., Sr. or Big League tourneys, you'll see competent arbiters using standard mechanics.

THE BIG QUESTION: How come THESE guys aren't in W-port? My guess is that they're not old enough, not in with the right crowd, don't have rabbis or are simply JUST TOO GOOD.

Ace
Maybe those guys like working the upper levels more. I know I do. Being picked for Williamsport would be nice but it's not a huge deal for me. I'd rather get to the Word Series for a level I have fun working.

Maybe they were also smart and applied at levels where they knew they'd get picked much quicker. I got my (upper division) regional the second year I put in for it.
Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 18, 2013, 11:28pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Jose Canseco seems to agree:

Former MLB slugger Canseco bashes Little League World Series umpires
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #71 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 09:55am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Last I knew, all the umpires are nominated by their District Admininstrator, have done numerous District, Divisional, State and Regional Tournaments. They have been seen and everyone knows how they umpire. There are generally no surprises at W'Port. I don't think a guy could become so completely unraveled to the point of incompetence.
This umpire is not from the US, and I don't know how diligent other countries screen their umpires before nominating them to the different series. Williamsport reserves four of the LLWS umpire slots to international candidates, so some of them may not go through the same thorough process as their US counterparts.
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #72 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE!!
I'll be the first to admit that I'm an amateur with a capitol A but man o man. What is that guy thinking? I've seen first year umpires set up better than that.
That just scary on so many levels. That's not even funny. It's just sad.
Reply With Quote
  #73 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 11:58am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
PU in the Australia/Texas game just missed a UK3 mechanic. He called strike 3 but never gave the safe sign.

Good heads up play by the Aussie runner since the defense was confused because of the no call.
Reply With Quote
  #74 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 173
I'd like to see that strike zone box on the screen with this guy. They'd probably have to have an arrow pointing off the screen to show where those two pitches were.
__________________
I'm due to make a great call. After all, I've been officiating a long time !!!
Reply With Quote
  #75 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 12:02pm
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice23 View Post
PU in the Australia/Texas game just missed a UK3 mechanic. He called strike 3 but never gave the safe sign.
And just what is the UK3 mechanic in Little League? Is it really the safe sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice23 View Post
Good heads up play by the Aussie runner since the defense was confused because of the no call.
That's indicative of a poorly-coached defense, not an umpire mistake. There's no excuse for a team to make it to Williamsport and be confused by this.
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
World Series fun for umps - article mick Baseball 5 Sun Oct 28, 2007 08:39pm
Little League World Series umpandy Baseball 16 Wed Oct 19, 2005 09:27pm
Little League World Series VaASAump Softball 41 Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:56pm
Little League Softball World Series BigUmpJohn Softball 0 Thu Aug 07, 2003 04:44pm
Little League World Series JC Baseball 2 Mon Aug 28, 2000 08:32am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1