The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Batter Out of Box in MLB (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95750-batter-out-box-mlb.html)

aceholleran Tue Aug 06, 2013 01:15am

Batter Out of Box in MLB

I am seeing this more often as of late: batters really hanging that rear foot behind the dish on bunt attempts.

Yes, I know. The ump's there; I'm not. But I've seen some instances that look fairly gross.

Sorry I don't have the specific game(s). Here in Coal Country, PA, I get truly sucky MLB coverage, so I am stuck watching highlights on MLB TV.

Yes, I also know that umps avoid this call at all costs. Does that mean it is EVER called? Or am I being a Smitty here?

Your thoughts, august group.

Ace in PA

rbmartin Tue Aug 06, 2013 05:42am

When I'm behind the plate my primary job is balls & strikes. My secondary job is....balls & strikes.
Down the list at #58 is the batters position on the box when the pitch is delivered. At #87 is whether or not he may have stepped out of the box while making contact.
The main reason I even look at his feet is to make sure a batted ball doesn't hit one of them in the box (not always easy to see).
It's not something I am actively looking for and it I was, it would distract me from job #1....tracking the ball.

Manny A Tue Aug 06, 2013 07:16am

For me to call this, it would have to be extremely obvious, such as noticing it when the batter squares well before the pitcher delivers the pitch, and then judging he never moved the foot when making contact. If the batter squares late, seeing his back foot completely out of the box behind home plate would be much harder than seeing it on top of or even in front of the plate.

I really haven't been paying that much attention during televised games to notice if it has become a trend. But now that you mentioned it, I guess I'll start looking.

MD Longhorn Tue Aug 06, 2013 08:30am

Behind the plate, it simply can't be seen if you're in the right position. On the plate, it's a little more possible. Honestly, other than bunts as Manny mentioned, I doubt I've ever called this anywhere other than in FRONT of the batter's box (as in, toward the pitcher).

rbmartin Tue Aug 06, 2013 09:03am

The next MLB game you watch, look at what the first thing the leadoff batter does in the top of the first inning....wipes out the batters box lines with his foot. Proof that it's not a priority in MLB.

In womens softball, I watch for it (usually on slappers) but not so much in baseball.

jicecone Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:51am

Do batter really step out of the box while hitting the ball?

I've never seen that.

MD Longhorn Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 901898)

I've never seen that.

Not likely in MLB.

Youth (including HS), especially bunting and still learning --- yes.

The rare times I've seen it in FRONT of the plate were usually batters setting up far in the front to adjust to a slower than normal pitcher, then not paying attention when they lunge at a ball. The few times I've called it, it was VERY obvious and most of them didn't even cause the manager to come out.

Rich Ives Wed Aug 07, 2013 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceholleran (Post 901872)
I am seeing this more often as of late: batters really hanging that rear foot behind the dish on bunt attempts.

Yes, I know. The ump's there; I'm not. But I've seen some instances that look fairly gross.

Sorry I don't have the specific game(s). Here in Coal Country, PA, I get truly sucky MLB coverage, so I am stuck watching highlights on MLB TV.

Yes, I also know that umps avoid this call at all costs. Does that mean it is EVER called? Or am I being a Smitty here?

Your thoughts, august group.

Ace in PA

A hanging foot is OK. It's only a violation if it's on the ground completely out of the box at the moment the ball is hit.

NavyChiefBlue Wed Aug 07, 2013 02:24pm

How many guys do you see hitting the ball with a foot in the air? I don't think it would be recommended.

Rich Ives Wed Aug 07, 2013 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyChiefBlue (Post 902001)
How many guys do you see hitting the ball with a foot in the air? I don't think it would be recommended.

We're talkin' bunt here Chief - entirely possible.

MD Longhorn Wed Aug 07, 2013 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyChiefBlue (Post 902001)

You must not umpire.

JRutledge Wed Aug 07, 2013 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 901898)

I've never seen that.

I have seen it in HS and college. Rare, but I have seen it. Usually not by a very good player or really has good fundamentals as a hitter.

Peace

bob jenkins Wed Aug 07, 2013 07:55pm

The last time this was discussed (a few years ago) a handful of pictures of it happening at the major league leve were found. My guess is that it happens still.

Steven Tyler Mon Aug 12, 2013 04:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 902004)
We're talkin' bunt here Chief - entirely possible.

Never saw it. Never seen it called.

I've seen people hit entirely off their front foot. Think Frank Thomas.

However a foot out of the box on the ground is different from a foot in the air.

I have called a batter out on a bunt who's whole foot was out of the box [on the ground].

PS~Isn't just touching the plate on a bunt attempt with the same foot still in the box an out? [FED]

Welpe Tue Aug 13, 2013 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 902350)

PS~Isn't just touching the plate on a bunt attempt with the same foot still in the box an out? [FED]

That is correct. Well more precisely, touching the plate and hitting the ball.