The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Obstruction or Out of Baseline? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95508-obstruction-out-baseline.html)

Spence Sat Jul 13, 2013 05:23am

Obstruction or Out of Baseline?

Play from the SD/SF game last night.

Agree with call?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index..._copy_28851369

I'm not an ump but I'd say it was the right call.

ozzy6900 Sat Jul 13, 2013 06:22am

I have obstruction on the play. The runner was already on the grass so none of that means anything.

CT1 Sat Jul 13, 2013 06:31am

Textbook OBS. Despite the protestations of the SD common-tators, being "two steps on the infield grass" has nuttin' to do with nuttin'.

Of course, if F2 catches the pitch in the first place, we ain't in this mess.

dash_riprock Sat Jul 13, 2013 07:40am

R2 was clearly within "his" baseline during all tag attempts.

R2 was clearly hindered and he was clearly not intentionally running into a fielder (without the ball) trying to draw the OBS.

Clearly OBS. Nice call.

jicecone Sat Jul 13, 2013 08:32am

That baseline changed every time the ball was exchanged.

Clearly obstruction, I agree.

RPatrino Sat Jul 13, 2013 04:31pm

This is obstruction, only. The 'out of baseline' only applies when a tag is being attempted on a runner.

MD Longhorn Mon Jul 15, 2013 08:54am

Obstruction. Textbook.

Manny A Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:07am

"What...what is Gyorko s'posed to do, run into the dugout?"

Well, first off, it was Headley, not Gyorko. And now that you mention it, Dick...

Rufus Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15pm

Tangential question - as a coach I've read enough materials on coaching baserunning that instruct runners to, if possible, run into the fielder as happened here (not saying that's what happened here, just that the instruction I read says it's a good "teach"). From an official's standpoint is that a HTBT in determining if there was intent by the runner (does intent even matter?) or are there things you look for when a runner tries something like that? Hasn't happened to me either way but was curious if anyone's had that type of thing happen.

MD Longhorn Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 900018)
Tangential question - as a coach I've read enough materials on coaching baserunning that instruct runners to, if possible, run into the fielder as happened here (not saying that's what happened here, just that the instruction I read says it's a good "teach"). From an official's standpoint is that a HTBT in determining if there was intent by the runner (does intent even matter?) or are there things you look for when a runner tries something like that? Hasn't happened to me either way but was curious if anyone's had that type of thing happen.

Don't coach this.

First, there are enough umpires who simply don't pay enough attention to obstruction that you will likely run yourself into as many outs as you will avoid.

Second, it's simply RAT-style coaching.

Hopefully, you will not be getting any help from the umpires here in trying to coax this call out of an umpire or avoid getting your runner called for intentionally running into a fielder when that's exactly what you're coaching.

Manny A Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 900020)
Hopefully, you will not be getting any help from the umpires here in trying to coax this call out of an umpire or avoid getting your runner called for intentionally running into a fielder when that's exactly what you're coaching.

Agree. It's pretty apparent when a runner intentionally heads for a fielder attempting to draw an obstruction call. Most runners who do that blatantly disregard heading toward the base, particularly when the fielder is already moving away from the runner's path after releasing the throw.

This particular play was just a case where F5 got too close to R2 when he threw the ball. He could've probably tagged R2 if he tried. And then F5 veered the wrong way (he was in the dirt when he threw the ball, and moved to the grass), probably because his F6 teammate was standing there.

bob jenkins Mon Jul 15, 2013 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 900018)

That takes it "too far" imo. Better to teach them just to run to the base and that they don't need to avoid non-malicious contact.

Rufus Mon Jul 15, 2013 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 900035)
That takes it "too far" imo. Better to teach them just to run to the base and that they don't need to avoid non-malicious contact.

Agree and thanks for the responses. Never taught this myself (usually have a hard enough time teaching baserunning basics, forget the "extra" stuff like this). Was just curious what everyone's experience has been.

STL_UMP Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:10am

Anyone notice that the MLB byline called it interference?

Manny A Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL_UMP (Post 900116)
Anyone notice that the MLB byline called it interference?

Ahhhh, summer interns. Some are good, some are bad...