The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Brian Runge Fired!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95433-brian-runge-fired.html)

JR12 Wed Jul 03, 2013 08:59am

Brian Runge Fired!!!

Y! SPORTS

tmagan Sat Jul 06, 2013 08:46pm

One thing you have to admire about the Commissioner's Office is they will have nothing to do with people who were associated or managed teams with multiple steroid abusers.

Just look at their last three hires: Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa, and Sandy Alderson.

Alright, forget what I said in the top paragraph.

dash_riprock Sat Jul 06, 2013 08:56pm

Why are umpires subject to drug testing?

tmagan Sat Jul 06, 2013 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 899390)
Why are umpires subject to drug testing?

Everyone, including managers are subject to drug testing, in fact Ron Washington failed a drug test four years ago.

scrounge Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmagan (Post 899393)
Everyone, including managers are subject to drug testing, in fact Ron Washington failed a drug test four years ago.

...and still a manager.

tmagan Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 899401)
...and still a manager.

My understanding is he has adhered to the provisions of his rehab program, but Brian can legitimately point to Alderson, Torre, and LaRussa and say those three looked the other way when their players became steroid addicts, how come I am treated to another standard, in fact when Selig holds his All-Star game press conference in about a week it would be a great question to ask.

D Ray Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmagan (Post 899406)
My understanding is he has adhered to the provisions of his rehab program, but Brian can legitimately point to Alderson, Torre, and LaRussa and say those three looked the other way when their players became steroid addicts, how come I am treated to another standard, in fact when Selig holds his All-Star game press conference in about a week it would be a great question to ask.

Because all officials should be held to a higher standard. To not would ruin the integrety of the game. Besides no one cames to see officials on banned substances, but we will pay to watch athletes on them. Mr. Runge has a union to protect him. Perhaps there is more to this story than we are allowed to know.

MD Longhorn Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:07am

Quote:

failed at least one drug test and failed to comply with an agreement with MLB that had allowed him to stay on staff.
Obviously there's more than just the drug test. I wonder if the "agreement" that he didn't comply with will ever come to light.

STL_UMP Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:24pm

For what it's worth, a friend of mind who's a Triple AAA Umpire said Runge failed 3 drug tests and refused to do the rehab.

CT1 Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL_UMP (Post 900438)
For what it's worth, a friend of mind who's a Triple A said Runge failed 3 drug tests and refused to do the rehab.

Painkillers or street drugs?

kylejt Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:42pm

Hmmmm. Sometimes his gear shows up at my local Goodwiil (he lives nearby). Better keep checking.

rbmartin Sat Jul 20, 2013 09:20am

“This is your last chance, and I’m not talking about one of those Major League Baseball Steve Howe kind of last chances.” — Leslie Nielsen

Texas Aggie Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:16pm

Quote:

refused to do the rehab
Assuming this is true, that would negate any sympathy any of us should have for him. Rehab is iffy as far as effectiveness, but if your employer demands you go (and make no mistake: MLB would pay for it and probably pay his salary as well), you go.

BigBaldGuy Mon Jul 22, 2013 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 900459)
Hmmmm. Sometimes his gear shows up at my local Goodwiil (he lives nearby). Better keep checking.

This is really funny to me...since I work for Goodwill! :)