The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Odd Gum Ritual? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95226-odd-gum-ritual.html)

grunewar Thu Jun 06, 2013 09:18am

Odd Gum Ritual?

Just found this:

Ump’s odd gum-flinging ritual offends fans | For The Win

That's a lot of gum!

Anyone have their own ritual - not stepping on the line, food before a game, shoes, socks?

Just curious.

RPatrino Thu Jun 06, 2013 09:44am

When I work the plate, I always wear a cup.:cool:

bob jenkins Thu Jun 06, 2013 09:59am

I think it's bad luck to have a ritual.

BigUmp56 Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 896786)
When I work the plate, I always wear a cup.:cool:

Day games or night games, Bob?

Tim.

Manny A Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:37am

From the article:

Quote:

This one’s a little weird, guys. It seems that MLB umpire Jordan Baker, who is not the tennis-playing high society lady from The Great Gatsby but a real live rookie umpire, has a bizarre tradition. At the end of every half inning of each ballgame he umpires, he throws his gum behind him into left field.
Damn, he must really wear out his arm when he's doing that while working the plate.

I usually give the Sign of the Cross and say a quick prayer right after the catcher throws it down in the top of the first inning. Nothing more than, "God, don't let anyone get seriously hurt out here, and don't let me suck too bad."

jicecone Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:04am

Yes, unless I know before hand that it is a credit game, I will always ask who is paying and when.

Simple ritual.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 896793)
"I usually give the Sign of the Cross and say a quick prayer."

That is what I say every time I step behind the Plate to umpire a girls' 10U fast pitch softball game. :p And remember, I am Jewish (which is another story altogether from my soccer officiating days. :p

MTD, Sr.

RPatrino Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:57am

Tim, I have two identical cups, one for night games and one for day games.

And DeNucci, are you going to tell us that you are Irish next?:)

BigUmp56 Thu Jun 06, 2013 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 896803)
Tim, I have two identical cups, one for night games and one for day games.

And DeNucci, are you going to tell us that you are Irish next?:)

If they're identical, how can you tell the difference? There's nothing more tacky than wearing a day cup during a night game. Well, white umpire shirts after Labor Day might be worse...........

Tim.

Rich Thu Jun 06, 2013 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 896808)
If they're identical, how can you tell the difference? There's nothing more tacky than wearing a day cup during a night game. Well, white umpire shirts after Labor Day might be worse...........

Tim.

And remember, if the game ends after sunset, the plate guy must wear a plate coat, no matter the weather.

It's true, it's true -- I heard it on the Internet, after all.

bluehair Thu Jun 06, 2013 02:27pm

Ritual

My one ritual: before I work the dish, one of my groupies checks that all vital equipment is worn properly.

nopachunts Thu Jun 06, 2013 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 896809)
And remember, if the game ends after sunset, the plate guy must wear a plate coat, no matter the weather.

It's true, it's true -- I heard it on the Internet, after all.

Not in Texas, It's too dang hot after March.

BigUmp56 Thu Jun 06, 2013 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopachunts (Post 896820)
Not in Texas, It's too dang hot after March.

You obviously don't understand the meaning of "must". If we have to do it in The Midwest, you guys in ten gallon hats don't get a pass!

Tim.

nopachunts Thu Jun 06, 2013 09:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 896823)
You obviously don't understand the meaning of "must". If we have to do it in The Midwest, you guys in ten gallon hats don't get a pass!

Tim.

Obviously you never tried to put a mask on a ten gallon hat. The brim makes mask hang about four inches from your face. LOL

Tim C Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:05pm

ôlô

Quote:

"And remember, if the game ends after sunset, the plate guy must wear a plate coat, no matter the weather."
And yes Rich that is how it was taught in the golden age of umpiring.

And I lived that rule until retirement.

T