The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Talking Just when you think you've seen it all on an amateur ball field...

...along comes this weird incident, which occurred last Thursday night, May 23rd, in a 10U Little League game my association assigns. One of our younger umpires, who is the son of one of our top veterans (himself a former MiLB Umpire), was working this game. Rather than relay what happened, I'll share Justin's words in the Email he sent me the next day:
Quote:

This is Justin. As you know I had a game last night at 7:30 in Western Springs for the 10 and under Little League on the main field. During the 5th inning I had a bit of a surprise, a streaker ran onto the field in his shorts/underwear. He came over the fence on the 1st base side crossed half of the field then ran toward center field where he flipped over the fence and disappeared. If I had to guess I’d say he was somewhere between 16-20 yrs old, definitely not a little kid but not an adult either. Nothing really came of this as he didn’t return and the police were not involved, however he did get a standing ovation from the home team parents. Other than that the game was as normal as they come. Not the biggest deal, just a good story and something I thought you should be made a aware of.

Thank you.

Justin
Now, this is my 36th year of umpiring. I've witnessed some bizarre stuff occur, but it's mostly involved the on field action. Never have I experienced what occurred in Justin's game. Wow!
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Oh, yes, they call him the Streak
Look at that, look at that
Fastest thing on two feet
Look at that, look at that
He's just as proud as he can be
Of his anatomy
He goin' give us a peek
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I remember a few seasons ago, Forest Ump decided to streak, while working the bases. It was quite fun!! HAHAHA! Go Steve!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

I had a streaker at a college softball game a number of years ago. He came over the first base dugout, ran across the field and jumped over the outfield fence (short, portable fence; he wasn't that athletic). The best part was when he went by the centerfielder, she pointed at his attributes and laughed.

An arrest took place shortly after.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I seem to recall a story a number of years ago about an airplane crashing either into or just outside the centerfield wall during a game. Anyone else remember that story?

Tim.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

I was working a HS boys varsity basketball game a few seasons ago. During a live ball, a male (aren't they always?) HS senior, naked as the day he was born, ran in one corner of the gym, ran diagonally across the court, and out the door on the other end of the gym.

We stopped play momentarily --- there were about 3 minutes left in the first half -- and it was hard to get things going again. Nobody could really focus on the game the rest of the half, including the crowd (and including the officials) -- there was a buzz in the stands from this one thing that I haven't heard before or since.

Now when I go down to that school, we always talk about the streaker at one point or another. From what I heard, this kid was near the top of his class and it almost cost him the change to graduate with his class.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 04:56pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I had a streaker at a college softball game a number of years ago. He came over the first base dugout, ran across the field and jumped over the outfield fence (short, portable fence; he wasn't that athletic). The best part was when he went by the centerfielder, she pointed at his attributes and laughed.

An arrest took place shortly after.

With emphasis on shortly.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 05:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

You just have seen Chow on Hangover 3.

Peace
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 05:39pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I seem to recall a story a number of years ago about an airplane crashing either into or just outside the centerfield wall during a game. Anyone else remember that story?

Tim.
Here you go:

Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

A plane crashed into the stands in Baltimore right after a playoff game with the Steelers. Not baseball, but they did play baseball in that stadium during that time.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 11:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
A plane crashed into the stands in Baltimore right after a playoff game with the Steelers. Not baseball, but they did play baseball in that stadium during that time.
When did that happen? I remember vaguely about that incident.

Peace
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Dec. 19, 1976

Steelers kicked our butts 40 - 14 in the AFC Divisional Play offs

Game had ended about 25 minutes earlier.....

There were no injuries, just kinda bizarre ......
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 10:41am
Stirrer of the Pot

Never seen a streaker at any game I've umpired. But I did have a strange occurrence in a LL Juniors (13-14) game a few years ago. I was behind the plate, and as the pitcher was looking in for the sign, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that F7 started sprinting in from left field. There was no call for Time, nothing. I thought maybe the fielder badly needed to use the facilities, so I stopped play.

But the fielder didn't keep going to the nearest Portajohn. He just ran into the dugout on the third-base side, and sat on the bench. Come to find out, he got the living hell scared out of him by a ground hog that popped out of a hole not far from his position, and he was not going back out there. The manager had to make a defensive substitution.

Needless to say, this field wasn't the best-maintained field in the district.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Technically, I think a streaker is nude, so this guy had shorts/underwear so he is just someone running across the field.