The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Winter Again (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/94931-winter-again.html)

SE Minnestoa Re Thu May 02, 2013 01:59pm

Winter Again

6 inches of snow where I live today in SE Minnesota--1.5 feet two hours west of here. I am sure that will kill ball for the rest of the week. My wallet is pretty thin with 19 cancellations so far this year.

Two weeks left in the regular season and I have worked a total of six dates outside this year.

Please let's get some spring!!!

BEAREF Thu May 02, 2013 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 892732)
6 inches of snow where I live today in SE Minnesota--1.5 feet two hours west of here. I am sure that will kill ball for the rest of the week. My wallet is pretty thin with 19 cancellations so far this year.

Two weeks left in the regular season and I have worked a total of six dates outside this year.

My game for today was postponed yesterday...today I got a call at Noon and it's back on for today as originally scheduled. It is softball so the balls should be easy to find in the snow :D

jTheUmp Thu May 02, 2013 10:19pm

I completely missed the snow in Minneapolis. Less than 10 miles away in Egan, however, they had about 3 inches of snow.

Actually managed to get a doubleheader in this afternoon.

Whatever our assigners are getting paid, it's not enough this spring... according to my assigner's last mass email, he's been getting about 100-120 postponements/reschedules/cancellations every day for the last couple of weeks.

bluehair Thu May 02, 2013 10:20pm

Yesterday temp was in the 80's. Tonight started HS playoffs, temp 42, drizzle, winds 20+. Tomorrow, I have work...hope the weather mellows.

SE Minnestoa Re Fri May 03, 2013 12:03pm

I assign for my association for free so I am really earning my salary this year.:D

johnnyg08 Sat May 04, 2013 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 892794)
I assign for my association for free so I am

Are you Mark Cuban or what?

Nobody assigns for free. What's the catch?

Publius Sun May 05, 2013 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 892895)
Nobody assigns for free. What's the catch?

I assign for free, with a catch. The money that most assignors charge was used to give the umpires a bigger raise.

UMP25 Thu May 09, 2013 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 892732)

I moved in August from suburban Chicago to suburban Houston. I'm glad I did. From last year's exceedingly warm and dry spring in Chicago to this year's 2nd coldest and wettest in Chicago history, I wouldn't have gotten in many games up there. Many of my friends up there were telling me that as of mid-April, they had worked only a "handful" of games. One guy hadn't even worked a single conference game (at any division) by April 20th because of all the rain (and snow and ice and...).

I started my season here January 26th and have yet to be rained out or canceled due to weather. :D