The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Player coaching first (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/94913-player-coaching-first.html)

Robert E. Harrison Tue Apr 30, 2013 01:39pm

Player coaching first

I had a player coaching first without a helmet. I was in the C position (with R1 and R2) when the player assumed the coaching position and I asked my partner behind the plate if the player needed a helmet. He said "You can pick that scab if you want to". I looked over at the third base coach and made sure he was a player and not a young coach or adult.

My question is: Do you call time immediately and take care of these problems or do it discreetly and possibly allow an infraction to occur for a little while during the evidence gathering phase?
2nd question: Should I have started a new thread?

bob jenkins Tue Apr 30, 2013 01:43pm

1) I'd get it fixed as quickly as I could, but you don't need to make a big deal about it -- especially if the team was on the first base side.

2) Yes, imo.

MD Longhorn Tue Apr 30, 2013 02:13pm

1) yes, this is a safety issue.
2) Look ... you did! :)

jicecone Tue Apr 30, 2013 02:17pm

[QUOTE=Robert E. Harrison;892513]I had a player coaching first without a helmet. I was in the C position (with R1 and R2) when the player assumed the coaching position and I asked my partner behind the plate if the player needed a helmet. He said "You can pick that scab if you want to".

My question is: Do you call time immediately and take care of these problems or do it discreetly and possibly allow an infraction to occur for a little while during the evidence gathering phase?
QUOTE]

Immediately call "time", dump your partner and ask the player to put a helmet on.

"You can pick that scab if you want to". :eek::confused:

CT1 Tue Apr 30, 2013 02:23pm

Always -- ALWAYS correct safety issues as soon as they are discovered. The coaches don't want to be liable any more than we do.

dash_riprock Tue Apr 30, 2013 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison (Post 892513)
I asked my partner behind the plate if the player needed a helmet. He said "You can pick that scab if you want to".

That's not picking a scab at all.

RPatrino Tue Apr 30, 2013 04:51pm

Why would you ask your partner about this anyway? You are an umpire, umpire!

Ump29 Tue Apr 30, 2013 05:38pm

No debate in my area. Helmet is required by players coaching at first/third.

nafxos Tue Apr 30, 2013 07:46pm

I saw a kid coaching 1B take one off the helmet today. I was in C. Lefthanded batter rips one down the line, the kid tries to duck and the ball hits the crown of the helmet. It would have been really ugly if he hadn't been wearing one.

Mrumpiresir Tue Apr 30, 2013 08:33pm

You could be held liable if proven you were aware of it and did not fix it.

Manny A Wed May 01, 2013 04:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison (Post 892513)
I asked my partner behind the plate if the player needed a helmet. He said "You can pick that scab if you want to".

Unbelievable. I wonder how many other safety rules your partner ignores.

This is a no-brainer. It needs to be dealt with immediately. There is no "evidence gathering phase." You call Time and ask, "Coach, is your first base coach a player? Then he needs a helmet!"

jicecone Wed May 01, 2013 08:11am

Louisiana started the rule last year that anyone occupying a coaches box during play, must wear a helmet. Adults don't need earflaps however, it must be a helmet.