The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Equipment Bag? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/94353-equipment-bag.html)

davelock11 Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:29pm

Equipment Bag?

I've been using an old equipment bag from my coaching days, but it's just about had it. I figured I could get some good suggestions/recommendations from some of you guys about a good, reasonably-priced umpire equipment bag.

dash_riprock Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50pm

If you don't care about a pull-out handle or small compartments, this is about as inexpensive as you can get.

The Sports Loft: Equipment Bags

shickenbottom Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by davelock11 (Post 884604)
I've been using an old equipment bag from my coaching days, but it's just about had it. I figured I could get some good suggestions/recommendations from some of you guys about a good, reasonably-priced umpire equipment bag.

You can go online to Honigs, Gerry Davis, ect.

or

You can go to Costco.com and pick out the ful 30" Hybrid Drop Bottom Wheeled Duffel Bag for $49.99

Shinguards, shoes, and mask, CP and misc small stuff fit in the bottom zippered compartment, shirts, slacks, and other stuff fit in top. Sox, and other misc stuff can fit in side compartments.

It's wheeled and it multipurpose, so you can also use it for personal trips to where-ever.

bob jenkins Wed Mar 13, 2013 01:40pm

officially sports has the Champro on sale for $109 (I think).

Lots of people using the e-bags motherlode (or something like that)

yawetag Wed Mar 13, 2013 04:37pm

A few years ago, I picked up a nice-sized bag for cheap. This year, I moved it all into a Sterilite Footlocker, which I will be using the first time this weekend. If it works out, I'll continue using it; if not, I'll go back to the bag and use the footlocker for something else.

Matt Wed Mar 13, 2013 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 884650)
A few years ago, I picked up a nice-sized bag for cheap. This year, I moved it all into a Sterilite Footlocker, which I will be using the first time this weekend. If it works out, I'll continue using it; if not, I'll go back to the bag and use the footlocker for something else.

Should have asked before trying this. It doesn't work unless you religiously remove your equipment after each day. It doesn't breathe and it traps smells.

yawetag Wed Mar 13, 2013 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 884656)
Should have asked before trying this. It doesn't work unless you religiously remove your equipment after each day. It doesn't breathe and it traps smells.

That's why it's going through a trial. :) It was fairly cheap and holds my gear better than the bag did.

Welpe Wed Mar 13, 2013 08:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shickenbottom (Post 884609)

You can go to Costco.com and pick out the ful 30" Hybrid Drop Bottom Wheeled Duffel Bag for $49.99

My wife picked up a few of these, I believe the manufacturer is FUL. I appropriated one for baseball and I can get almost everything in. The only thing I can't really get to fit are my base shoes so they ride on top of the bag.

It is perfect for loading up the car though.

bob jenkins Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnhbua93 (Post 884908)
I have a Ful, JEF3 and a Wison.

And how are those wearing?

The benefit of the e-bags is a life-time warranty.

shickenbottom Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 884914)
And how are those wearing?

The benefit of the e-bags is a life-time warranty.

I've had my ful bag for 4 years (original model that is larger than current models). I use it for every out of town trip, family vacation, ect (about 4 times a year for a week at a time). Not a single issue.

RPatrino Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shickenbottom (Post 884609)
You can go online to Honigs, Gerry Davis, ect.

or

Shinguards, shoes, and mask, CP and misc small stuff fit in the bottom zippered compartment, shirts, slacks, and other stuff fit in top. Sox, and other misc stuff can fit in side compartments.

It's wheeled and it multipurpose, so you can also use it for personal trips to where-ever.

Sam, I've been to where-ever, and you don't need to pack that much to go there.

davelock11 Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:31pm

Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to go with the Ful bag from Costco. Should arrive Monday thank goodness...strap broke on my old bag last night!

Publius Fri Mar 15, 2013 06:46pm

For the best value, you should consider super heavy-duty, low-density trash bags. I bought a roll of 100 for $68 in 2009, and with an average schedule of 120 games a year, I go through only about a dozen of these per year. When they start to show a little wear, you just chuck them and pull off a new one.

Oh, sure, you have to listen to a lot of jokes about being a homeless umpire, but for ten new equipment bags a year for less than a buck apiece, it's worth it.

Tim C Sun Mar 17, 2013 09:38am

Lol

Quote:

"For the best value, you should consider super heavy-duty, low-density trash bags. I bought a roll of 100 for $68 in 2009, and with an average schedule of 120 games a year, I go through only about a dozen of these per year. When they start to show a little wear, you just chuck them and pull off a new one."
Publius, you slay me. You should do stand-up as you say some of the funniest things.

Keep us rolling.

T

RPatrino Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 884962)
For the best value, you should consider super heavy-duty, low-density trash bags. I bought a roll of 100 for $68 in 2009, and with an average schedule of 120 games a year, I go through only about a dozen of these per year. When they start to show a little wear, you just chuck them and pull off a new one.

Oh, sure, you have to listen to a lot of jokes about being a homeless umpire, but for ten new equipment bags a year for less than a buck apiece, it's worth it.

You can also poke a hole in the bottom of one, and use it as a parka. Just make sure you use either the navy or black ones, to match your partner.