The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Lets hear it...whats the WORST injury you've recieved? or seen a partner recieve while in the field?

The topic was brought to mind because in the past week, I got hit by a batted ball, slammed my finger in the car door, and sprained my ankle trying to steal 2nd...

Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I got hit on top of head with a foul tip. Didn't hurt, got the hard spot. I've since learned not to duck! Haven't seen any umpire injuries, but some nasty ones to some players. Hate seeing kids get hurt while trying to have fun, but it happens.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

On the ball field?? Or riding motorcycles or just at work????

Hairline fracture from a foul on my left wrist, busted lip from a hard foul off my mask(bent the lower "horsshoe bou 1/2 in inward), and lastly, gnarly bruise right on the left side of upper belly(just below protector)last weekend.

Getting hit is not that bad, the ones that creep up the back of the leg, no biggie. My worst cup-shots came as a player. I use an extended single-bar mask and my chest protector tucks nicely under it, so none of the nasty throat shots(which are usually due to "head-poppin"). Oh, I did get a big toe smashed in a 10 year olds game, buy some plate shoes!!!!!
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Partner in C position couldn't get out of the way of a hard liner. Blocked it with his arm. Finished the game in pain, ended up with a broken wrist.

Ed H
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Hmm baseball

Worst i got was a bad hop at short that lifted my kneecap.

Couple of weeks ago I was umping a softball game and two girls butted heads in the outfield not bad but blood all over and a few stitches. Previous years in this leagues theres been quite a few broken bones on the field.

The kids are sure trying though this year. I was doing a 10-
11 game tonight and a batter tossed his bat straight back after a hit. missed the catcher but caught me on the elbow.

John

Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Well last night I did a invitational champion ship for 9-10's and tonite did the championship for 11-12's.

Last night There was a runner comming home and I took my mask off and the catcher sidearms a hard throw that misses the pitchers glove and nails me in my eye...it is now really swollen and messed up...coaches have fun with that..."Are you sure you can see with that eye? That defineately wasn't a strike" haha
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

haha. Yeah I can imagine how much that wuold hurt. One day I was doing Pinto Level championship game (last year)...and the game already started at 9. So it was an hour behind. During PLayoffs there was no time limit, so im umpiring for like 2hours straight in one of the most boring leagues there is. After being fatiqued from the previous 3hour game, I decide to take off a shin guard! BAD MOVE!!!

It just took one good smack with a bat and I had those suckers on!
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 08:40am
In Memoriam

Unhappy

I put jock and cup over a pair of knit boxers.
Fit was tight enuff (I never get hit anyway).
Ow !
No more boxers for me.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Wink NEAR MISS

Quote:
Originally posted by edhern
Partner in C position couldn't get out of the way of a hard liner. Blocked it with his arm. Finished the game in pain, ended up with a broken wrist.

Ed H
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Colt game 4 years ago, I am in B on an ungrazed high school field, grass is at least 4 inches high(great for ground balls). Lefty smokes a mid section high liner right at me, I knew horizontal movement would be tricky in the rough, so I jumped and spread legs. I cleared ball by bout an inch(says pard). Thus, moral of the story....wear a cup, ALWAYS!!!!
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 10:32am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Grass is always greener !

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Colt game 4 years ago, I am in B on an ungrazed high school field, grass is at least 4 inches high(great for ground balls). Lefty smokes a mid section high liner right at me, I knew horizontal movement would be tricky in the rough, so I jumped and spread legs. I cleared ball by bout an inch(says pard). Thus, moral of the story....wear a cup, ALWAYS!!!!
Love the landscaping descriptions!

Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

13 year old House League with the top 2 All-Star pitchers on each team and no Catchers. 2nd Inning All-Star ace throws heat down inner half of plate catchers ducks to the outer half. My middle finger takes ball right off it(there goes flipping the out dial on my counter). 6th inning other All-Star pitcher does the same thing to my index finger on the same hand only a little worse sending me to the hospital with two broken fingers. Worst thing was that the first pitcher was my younger brother.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

WAR WOUNDS!

While working the dish, the catcher set up on the outside corner and the pitch came low and inside. The ball nicked the catcher's glove and caught the back of my left hand. My whole hand went numb and developed a huge knot covering the entire back of my hand. I could move my fingers and bend my wrist so I didn't think anything was broke. I had the hand Xrayed and nothing was broke. I've been living on Advil and using ice, after two weeks the knot is now down to 1/4" in height and about the size of a quarter in circumference.

Michael
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Working the plate 2 years ago took a foul to the mask hit the right ear gaurd and spun the mask around on my head so it was facing backards on my head. That's the only time I've been hit so hard with a ball in my 30 yrs of umpiring.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Mr Childress,

the ONLY time you've gotted hit that hard in 30 yrs? Geez, I definately have ALOT to learn Though, im pretty sure I wont be challenging that record for pain-less games.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I've been hit plenty of times that was just the hardest I've been hit. Oh and by the way my dad is Mr. Childress please call me Doug