The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Dear Sir or Madam Umpire:

[NOTE: I not only need your response, but I have been requested to get a response from an official umpiring board (preferably Babe Ruth League). There is no access to the http://www.baberuthleague.org National Umpire’s Association from the web site. It is a form to join. What I am looking for is a place to post the following message officially. Thank You.]

HELP, we had a situation the other day and I need immediate clarification:

- 13-15 Division Babe Ruth League
- we were home team
- first inning
- no score
- no outs
- we had a runner on first (R1)

During the inning with no runners on base, we noticed the opposing team’s RH pitcher would throw to the plate from the windup position correctly. That means his non-pivot (left) foot would come straight back behind the rubber before he went to the plate. From the windup, this RH pitcher did not step to the side of the rubber with his non-pivot (left) foot and then deliver home. The umpire told me that a RH pitcher that steps to the side of the rubber with the non-pivot (left) foot and delivers to home was incorrect form and actually should be a balk with runner’s on base, but that most umpire’s do not call this infraction unless the other team complains OR the RH pitcher does this sidestepping motion from the windup before he delivers to the plate and then, later on, steps to first base with the non-pivot (left) foot from the windup position in an attempt to pick off the runner at first. The umpire said that in this case he would call a balk on the RH pitcher for deceiving the runner.

Ok. So we had a runner on first (R1). With R1 on, this RH pitcher toed the rubber in the windup position. That means that both of his feet were standing on the rubber. Our R1 go a huge lead off of first because the RH pitcher was in the windup position. The RH pitcher then lifted his non-pivot (left) foot straight up about one inch (his foot did not go behind or break the back plane of the rubber. He then pointed the toe of his non-pivot (left) foot straight to first base staying in front of the rubber, stepped toward first base, and then threw the ball to the first basement and successfully picked off our runner at first by a mile. The RH pitcher’s pivot (right) foot did not move during this process and did not come off the rubber until he threw to first base. The RH pitcher actually stepped toward first before the he threw.

The umpire call R1 out. I request time and talked to the umpire because I thought that a RH pitcher picking first base from the windup position in this manner was a balk. The umpire said according to Rule 8.00 that this was not a balk, but a good play. The umpire said that he may have balked him if his normal delivery to the plate from the windup position was a sidestep to first. But, he added that the RH pitcher did everything properly from the windup position – both delivery to the plate and picking off first base.

Ok. I need to go back to school. First. can a RH pitcher pick off first base from the windup position and if so how should it be done correctly. Second. Can anyone explain to me what this umpire was trying to tell me. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reference specific rules under Rule 8.00 so that I can read and highlight them myself.

Thank you for you time, patience and support.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

From the wind up position once you lift the none pivot foot you have started your windup and must deliver the ball to the batter no exceptions anything else would be a balk with runners on base
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by douglas childress
From the wind up position once you lift the none pivot foot you have started your windup and must deliver the ball to the batter no exceptions anything else would be a balk with runners on base
Better read 8.01(a)(3)

"From this posiition" (the windup position) "he may:"
"(2)step and throw to a base in an attempt to pick-off a runner, or"

Roger Greene
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

You may lift your pivot foot by stepping off the back of the rubber and then attempt your pick off> But once you lift your NON PIVOT FOOT off the rubber you have started your wind up and must deliver to the batter. Read the forum post 39 ways to balk # 4

[Edited by douglas childress on Jul 8th, 2003 at 11:53 AM]
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Doug,
As much as I respect your father's interpretations, I don't believe you've read this post completely.

It was specific that F1 raised his non-pivot foot and immediately stepped towards 1st base on the attempt; gaining both distance and direction.

I also believe the originator is confused between FED and OBR rules. In FED, any attempt on a pickoff from the Windup Position is a balk; not so for OBR (and by adoption; Babe Ruth).

Jerry

P.S. How's your dad doing? Haven't heard from Papa in a while.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clairification. But why can't we all umpire from one big happy rule book?

P.S. Carl Childress is no relation to me that i know of we just share the same last name.

[Edited by douglas childress on Jul 8th, 2003 at 01:12 PM]
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Doug,
If OBR, NCAA and FED agreed on everything . . . that would put Carl out of business. We look forward to his "Baseball Rule Differences" publication every year.

Also . . . the organizers, interpreters and rule-makers of each level are very selfish with their "babies". A lot has to do with self-preservation. If we didn't have different rules; 2/3 of the interpreters and rule-makers would be out of a job.

Jerry

Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CRBurks
Dear Sir or Madam Umpire:

No matter how many times you post this, you'll (eventually) get the same answer -- it's legal to throw to a base from the wind-up position under OBR.

Old Wed Jul 09, 2003, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry
Doug,
If OBR, NCAA and FED agreed on everything . . . that would put Carl out of business. We look forward to his "Baseball Rule Differences" publication every year.

Also . . . the organizers, interpreters and rule-makers of each level are very selfish with their "babies". A lot has to do with self-preservation. If we didn't have different rules; 2/3 of the interpreters and rule-makers would be out of a job.

Jerry

Where do you guys get all this UMP Literature? And any websites that may help would be appreciated

John