The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Question

Watcha guys think...F2 goes to mound to become F1, switches gloves, of course. As he is warming up, Me an pard both notice the big NIKE swoooosh on the back strap covering his wrist, brite white. Skipper comes meandering up as F1 warms, we yak a bit( PONY sanctioned district game). I decide to mess with him a bit, " Skipper, he's got another glove, right?"

Skipper, " HUH, "

Me, "That ones illegal, multi-colored"

Skipper, " He's(other manager) gotta call us on it"

Me, "Sorry skip, he must get a legal glove"

Skipper, " Come on guys, let em play...geez, there ony kids..."

Me, " OK coach, if he *****es, F1 switches"

Of course, and thankfully so, "other coach" did not notice(he missed the illegal sub the other day), they got 10 runned and the ol 2 and out, but, the "swooooosh" makes this glove illegal per OBR 115.a.

How do you guys handle this?? Rich kid with a NIKE glove, star player, tourney time under OBR rules......
BTW, pard was the one who noticed first, he plays NAIA CSUMB ball and umps with us....very good kid(22) Assignor did a great job recruiting from the local college!!.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

I believe that rule was intended to prevent the glove from being a distraction. If you felt it was, then by all means, tell them to take it off. If the glove was honestly just the NIKE swoosh, just "let the kids play." At this age, the Illegal glove was most likely NOT meant to distract.

Sure, I would enforce it, only if the other coach mentions it...

But normally, its just a matter of "do you really want to pick that booger?" heh

Any normal coach wouldn't nitpick like that. (in youth ball that is)...

Gloves dont win ball games, the people who use them do!
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 10:57am
In Memoriam

chris s,
This is how LL fixed the problem.
The rule is quite comfortable to me at most levels.
They specifically address and discard 'lettering' on a batter's glove worn by the pitcher, but not the pitcher's glove.
I hold the trademarks as moot.
mick

RULE 1.15(A) - LEGAL GLOVES FOR PITCHERS CLARIFICATION
Parts (a) and (b) of the rule now read:

(a) The pitcher's glove shall be uniform in color, or of varying shades of the same color, and may have contrasting stitching, lacing, and/or webbing, providing the glove, lacing, or webbing is not white or gray.

(b) No pitcher shall attach to the glove any foreign material of a color different from the glove. The pitcher may wear a batting glove on the non-pitching band under the pitcher's glove provide the batting glove is not white, gray, or optic yellow.

Paragraph (a) was rewritten in 2002, and has been re-rewritten in 2003 to make absolutely clear that two-tone gloves are, indeed, legal for pitchers. In addition, the phrase permitting batting gloves was added to Paragraph (b) this year.

Also note that, at a Southern Region umpire clinic, Andy Konyar explicitly said that it was the color of the batting glove that was important, not the color of any writing on the batting glove. Thus, a black batting glove that has some white writing on it would be legal.