The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Who says Gerry Davis doesn't move (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92755-who-says-gerry-davis-doesnt-move.html)

CVLLBlue Wed Oct 24, 2012 09:29pm

Who says Gerry Davis doesn't move

How about Gerry's bailout on the 1-0 Pitch, just before Pablo's 3rd home run!:)

rpumpire Wed Oct 24, 2012 09:42pm

Pretty hard not to flinch on a pitch that bounces at around 45 feet.

johnnyg08 Wed Oct 24, 2012 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CVLLBlue (Post 859996)
How about Gerry's bailout on the 1-0 Pitch, just before Pablo's 3rd home run!:)

I call it self preservation. No need to be a hero there.

Rich Wed Oct 24, 2012 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 860001)
I call it self preservation. No need to be a hero there.

Exactly.

Welpe Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:23pm

I usually stay locked in on those because the ball tends to find unfortunate places if I don't.

nopachunts Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 860010)
I usually stay locked in on those because the ball tends to find unfortunate places if I don't.

But I will tuck my arm behind me if the pitch is coming toward one of my sides.

rpumpire Thu Oct 25, 2012 06:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 860010)

"Locked in" using the Gerry Davis stance means the arms are weight bearing.

On a pitch such as the one we're talking about, even if you don't "bail", you need to at least get the arms free of that weight.

kylejt Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopachunts (Post 860012)
But I will tuck my arm behind me if the pitch is coming toward one of my sides.

That means you're moving as the pitch is coming in. Something we try to avoid.

The Davis stance puts weight on your arms, and puts you more toward the "Danger Zone" of getting hit. If both those things are needed for you to see the pitch properly, go get 'em. Me, I'm fine up in the slot, with my hands rotated behind my thighs. When I get old and tired, and need to put my hands on my knees to rest during a game, I'll try it.

With some of the guys I umpire with, if you flinch or bail, you're buying the beer after the game. That's why you wear to top notch gear, fellas.

JRutledge Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:44am

What if the ball is clearly going to hit the ground? I think you preserve yourself first in those cases. Who cares about a flitch when the pitch is clearly going to not be a hard call to make. I know I don't care at that point.

Peace

RPatrino Fri Oct 26, 2012 01:03pm

The problem is that once you begin to flinch on pitches in the dirt, you will start flinching on most low pitches. Once you start doing that you might as well pack it in. Granted, some movement is reflex, and can't be prevented. Flat out bailing on bounced pitches is something I don't think anyone wants or is advocating.

JRutledge Fri Oct 26, 2012 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 860231)
The problem is that once you begin to flinch on pitches in the dirt, you will start flinching on most low pitches. Once you start doing that you might as well pack it in. Granted, some movement is reflex, and can't be prevented. Flat out bailing on bounced pitches is something I don't think anyone wants or is advocating.

I do agree with your point. Just saying that if you have noticed that the pitch has no way of reaching the plate then I get why someone would bail on that pitch. But you are right, you do it on one pitch you might do it when you do not need to. But then again that is based on the practice of the individual and their confidence in the catcher or maybe the experience of the umpire.

Peace

nopachunts Fri Oct 26, 2012 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 860193)
That means you're moving as the pitch is coming in. Something we try to avoid.

Not moving, head stays still. The other hand stays on my other knee. Normally the only time I tuck an arm is if the pitch has hit the ground and I can see that F2 is not going to be able to catch it.

I use the Davis stance to keep from getting tired during a game and to to be consistant in my positioning.

RPatrino Fri Oct 26, 2012 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopachunts (Post 860258)
Not moving, head stays still. The other hand stays on my other knee. Normally the only time I tuck an arm is if the pitch has hit the ground and I can see that F2 is not going to be able to catch it.

I use the Davis stance to keep from getting tired during a game and to to be consistant in my positioning.

All I will say is, I use the Davis as well, and once I am locked in I do not move. There is a chance of getting hit by a pitch, there always is, but I get hit a lot less now that I don't move. Setting up properly in the slot and keeping all the protective gear facing forward helps a lot.

And, Rut you are correct. A lot has to do with confidence in the catcher. Also, as you gain experience, you tend to work with catchers who are better at what they do. The challenge is to not develop bad flinching or movement problems at the lower levels because you might never move up and get to work behind confident catchers.

Richvee Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:22pm

On a pitch as short as the one mentioned here, there is reason not to bail. I try to stay as still as I can and keep tracking the ball. Who knows how a ball thrown that short is going to bounce. I'm still looking for a possible HBP.

DG Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:46pm

He who has not flinched has not called enough pitches. The older the catcher the more likely he will block the plate and the more likely that if he don't the pitch will hurt if it hits you.