The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Kind of Close Here? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92621-kind-close-here.html)

RPatrino Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33am

Kind of Close Here?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A4kre4sCMAA0Hw5.jpg

MD Longhorn Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 857765)

Try that in softball, and you'll lose your background check card...

Manny A Wed Oct 10, 2012 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 857768)

That's not all you'll lose... :eek:

Rich Wed Oct 10, 2012 05:25pm

I'm not really liking where this thread is going.

I've already removed one post and there are a few others that are right up against the line.

rbmartin Wed Oct 10, 2012 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 857847)
I'm not really liking where this thread is going.

I've already removed one post and there are a few others that are right up against the line.

I sincerely apolgize. I was inappropriate.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Oct 10, 2012 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 857768)

I wouldn't have to worry about that.

But where is Roy Firestone when you need him?

RPatrino Wed Oct 10, 2012 07:26pm

I was kinda hoping we could get into a discussion of MECHANICS relative to spacing between the umpire and the catcher. Please don't disappoint me too badly, please. :eek:

rbmartin Wed Oct 10, 2012 07:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 857864)
I was kinda hoping we could get into a discussion of MECHANICS relative to spacing between the umpire and the catcher. Please don't disappoint me too badly, please. :eek:

I think it's safe to say that this is quite a bit closer than umpires are typically instructed.

johnnyg08 Wed Oct 10, 2012 08:13pm

Hopefully there are no runners on base. This would be a textbook picture for potential umpire interference on a stolen base attempt.

JJ Wed Oct 10, 2012 08:23pm

How does he get out of the way when the catcher chases a foul ball straight back? And yes, what about that umpire interference on a steal? I would never feel comfortable being that close...

JJ

Manny A Thu Oct 11, 2012 07:18am

This is Phil Cuzzi, and he's been using this close-in stance for a while. Here's another one of him with Orioles catcher Matt Wieters (sorry for the large size).

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3584/5...158d6c0e_z.jpg

I'm sure Phil has no problem opening the gate and not interfering with a catcher's throw.

Personally, I would never get that close.

dash_riprock Thu Oct 11, 2012 07:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 857867)
I think it's safe to say that this is quite a bit closer than umpires are typically instructed.

Not only closer, but lower as well.

MD Longhorn Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:14am

I can't imagine ANY catcher wants the umpire's hands on him while he's trying to field a 90+ mph moving pitch.

Rich Ives Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:01am

So what would y'all do if you were this close and the catcher head-butted you or drove you to the ground as he turned to chase a WP or foul fly?

MD Longhorn Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 857940)
So what would y'all do if you were this close and the catcher head-butted you or drove you to the ground as he turned to chase a WP or foul fly?

Ask myself why the hell I was so close!

briancurtin Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 857926)
I can't imagine ANY catcher wants the umpire's hands on him while he's trying to field a 90+ mph moving pitch.

I wouldn't do it myself, but it's not bad. You forget about it after the first few pitches.

(I was a catcher through college)

dash_riprock Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 857946)
I wouldn't do it myself, but it's not bad. You forget about it after the first few pitches.

I think you are an anomaly, Brian. I have asked a lot of college catchers about this, and just about all of them said they hate being touched by the umpire, although none of them said they would object to it.

MNBlue Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:25am

What is the advantage of being that close and/or putting your hands on the catcher?

Steve Meyer Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 857946)

You must have sat the bench then, because I've caught quite few games myself, and this stuff wouldn't fly with me.

jicecone Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 857951)
What is the advantage of being that close and/or putting your hands on the catcher?

Obviously the advantage is what has worked for him, in the +-10 yrs as a MLB Umpire. Although I would never subscribe to a stance like that, it is the thing that makes him comfortable behind the plate and enables him to do a good job with his strike zone.

I used to have a much lower crouch before my knees started to go bad and then I had to adjust. I used to feel that if I was looking at about the same height as the catcher was I had the best view. After two surgeries and a renewed stance, (Gerry Davis) I think I have have a better view and bigger zone.

Now as far as putting your hands on the catcher, I never liked it when I caught and would never do it to another catcher. A few times I asked the umpire not to do it because it bothered me and they always respected my wishes.

MNBlue Thu Oct 11, 2012 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 857960)
Obviously the advantage is what has worked for him, in the +-10 yrs as a MLB Umpire. Although I would never subscribe to a stance like that, it is the thing that makes him comfortable behind the plate and enables him to do a good job with his strike zone.

That's my question. Is it helping him lock in to his stance? Is it guiding him to the set height he wants? Is it guiding him to the distance behind the catcher that he wants?

jicecone Thu Oct 11, 2012 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 857962)
That's my question. Is it helping him lock in to his stance? Is it guiding him to the set height he wants? Is it guiding him to the distance behind the catcher that he wants?

Sorry I can't answer for him.

GA Umpire Thu Oct 11, 2012 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 857962)

Any of this is possible. Some even say it helps to know where the catcher is going as well b/c they feel the shift.

If any ever did it, as a catcher, I never even noticed. As long as they didn't hinder me (and none did), I had other things to worry about.

APG Thu Oct 11, 2012 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Meyer (Post 857958)
You must have sat the bench then, because I've caught quite few games myself, and this stuff wouldn't fly with me.

This statement makes absolutely no sense at all.

Steve Meyer Thu Oct 11, 2012 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 857974)

Why not?

johnnyg08 Thu Oct 11, 2012 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 857913)
This is Phil Cuzzi, and he's been using this close-in stance for a while. Here's another one of him with Orioles catcher Matt Wieters (sorry for the large size).

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3584/5...158d6c0e_z.jpg

I'm sure Phil has no problem opening the gate and not interfering with a catcher's throw.

Personally, I would never get that close.

That is a fantastic shot...how did you get a hold of that?

APG Thu Oct 11, 2012 07:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Meyer (Post 857975)
Why not?

Sorry...read you initial post incorrectly.

Manny A Fri Oct 12, 2012 07:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 857979)
That is a fantastic shot...how did you get a hold of that?

I just did a Google Images search for Phil Cuzzi.

bob jenkins Fri Oct 12, 2012 07:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 857974)

it makes sense if you know his history.

Adam Fri Oct 12, 2012 08:21am

It may make sense, but it was borderline.

johnnyg08 Fri Oct 12, 2012 08:23am

It is a bad idea to touch the catcher.