The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down 3 and You're Out!

For the 3rd time that I've seen this season a MLB umpire calls a runner out when the fielder doesn't even have the ball! This time it was another play at the plate in the Toronto @ Detroit game.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 10:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump View Post
For the 3rd time that I've seen this season a MLB umpire calls a runner out when the fielder doesn't even have the ball! This time it was another play at the plate in the Toronto @ Detroit game.
But they are paid a lot of money right? I would think they could do very basic things that we are taught at a LL umpiring camp. It is time to overhaul that staff. I would love to see video but that is unacceptable if remotely true.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | TOR@DET: Prince slaps an RBI single to left - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

That is freshman ball stuff. You have got to be kidding me.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 23, 2012, 06:16am
Official & ***** Member

Good grief.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2012, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, it's getting pathetic but look at it this way. We are gaining a lot of video to show our rookies!
  1. Even the big dogs make mistakes!
  2. Sometimes you are in the wrong place!
  3. Timing, timing, timing!
  4. Don't rush the call!
Old Thu Aug 23, 2012, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Heresy. We don't work at their level, we cannot possibly understand.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2012, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

The worse part is that it doesn't look like he was out if there was a tag !!!
Old Thu Aug 23, 2012, 03:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Yeah, it's getting pathetic but look at it this way. We are gaining a lot of video to show our rookies!
  1. Even the big dogs make mistakes!
  2. Sometimes you are in the wrong place!
  3. Timing, timing, timing!
  4. Don't rush the call!
Yes we all make mistakes but this is a pretty basic one. It is one thing to miss a call that is close, but to rule when you know the catch has to be made or completed is another. And it has happened more than once, which makes me think that the MLB does not review game tapes or situations like other sports. Heck once I would see this by a fellow umpire in the league, I would think this is something I would want to totally avoid. But maybe the MLB does not do this constant training and evaluation like the other sports. This is the third time something like this has happened this year, I guess I would think MLB would tell their umpires this is not acceptable.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 23, 2012, 08:35pm
Veteran College Umpire

If one of those MLB umps misses 432 more calls I'll legitimately be able to say "I'm as good as he is!".

JJ
Old Fri Aug 24, 2012, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is the third time something like this has happened this year...
Which, so far, covers a span of nearly 2000 games. Do three screw-ups in 2000 games equal a trend or a fluke?
Old Fri Aug 24, 2012, 09:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Which, so far, covers a span of nearly 2000 games. Do three screw-ups in 2000 games equal a trend or a fluke?
This is something that should not happen at all. Trend, fluke or anomaly, it should not happen. If I can go through hundreds of varsity and college games and it will not happen once with me or partners, then I think a MLB Umpire can avoid this mistake that is working 100 plus games a year. Look we all make mistakes, but some should not happen. This is one of them and certainly after you see someone on tape do this previously in the same year.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 25, 2012, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is something that should not happen at all. Trend, fluke or anomaly, it should not happen. If I can go through hundreds of varsity and college games and it will not happen once with me or partners,
And Rut, again, shows he is king. If he doesn't make a mistake, that means no one can.
Old Sun Aug 26, 2012, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

If I did that (or had that plate stance with that head height) in the minor leagues during a game in which I was being evaluated by PBUC staff, my career might be over (unless I was in rookie ball and just starting my career).
Old Sun Aug 26, 2012, 02:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
And Rut, again, shows he is king. If he doesn't make a mistake, that means no one can.
Why does suggesting that a mistake like this means someone criticizing a basic issue as meaning you are king? There are some mistakes like a judgment, even positioning and sometimes philosophy is one thing, but this is basic procedures we are discussing. I cannot believe that if you are the best in the world as many here claim that MLB umpires are that they cannot take the time to wait to see if the fielder caught the ball by showing them the ball. Sorry, but that is not just a mistake. That is either apathy or laziness to have this happen 3 times that we all know of. Again, in the NBA when officials make mistakes they have video they can review daily to their staff to let them know what has been done good or bad. The NFL (despite the replacements) goes over video and plays every week that were done good or bad. I wonder if MLB takes that same focus on continuing to train their staff. Because at all levels that I work we constantly go over stuff to not continue mistakes and many of the mistakes I see from MLB guys seems like they are often going through the motions and living off their past experiences. You cannot do that as an official no matter what your experience is at any level because you constantly have to work on your craft. Please do not tell me that MLB umpires like Bob Davidson is ten times better than many D1 or even HS umpires across the country because he is in the MLB ranks.

Peace