The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Jim Palmer trying to match Tim McCarver (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92247-jim-palmer-trying-match-tim-mccarver.html)

JR12 Sun Aug 19, 2012 08:14am

Jim Palmer trying to match Tim McCarver

Listen to him rant. "how can another Umpire have a better look?"
"they can't eject Reynolds for throwing his glove" "I wonder if Buck will protest?" He's a Moron!!!
Reynolds, Showalter ejected from opener vs. Tigers | MLB.com: News

grunewar Sun Aug 19, 2012 09:14am

Buck Showalter made Earl Weaver proud!

Jim Palmer, "Let's at least get part of this right." :rolleyes:

APG Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:24pm

Guys, it was a clear equipment malfunction! :rolleyes:

The way these guys were speaking, it's as if they've never seen a game of baseball, much less MLB, in their lives.

jwwashburn Sun Aug 19, 2012 02:56pm

They were obviously both correctly dumped.

My question is why did the Home Plate Umpire say pulled foot if he was not certain.

Rich Sun Aug 19, 2012 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 852099)

My question is why did the Home Plate Umpire say pulled foot if he was not certain.

No clue. He was wrong, though.

briancurtin Sun Aug 19, 2012 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 852099)

Where did he say he wasn't certain?

jwwashburn Sun Aug 19, 2012 06:18pm

If he was not certain, he should have given no opinion.

briancurtin Sun Aug 19, 2012 06:33pm

Maybe he was certain?

JRutledge Sun Aug 19, 2012 07:39pm

This is where "get it right" gets it wrong. It was so close and I think the original call was correct. Oh well, welcome to MLB.

Peace

jwwashburn Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 852118)
Maybe he was certain?

No, he guessed wrong. There is no way he clearly saw the foot off the bag before the ball was in the glove...because it did not happen.

Unless I clearly see that my partner is wrong, there is no way I am going to be a party to him changing his call.

In this case, there is no way that he clearly saw that he was wrong because he was not wrong.

Eastshire Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 852142)
No, he guessed wrong. There is no way he clearly saw the foot off the bag before the ball was in the glove...because it did not happen.

Unless I clearly see that my partner is wrong, there is no way I am going to be a party to him changing his call.

In this case, there is no way that he clearly saw that he was wrong because he was not wrong.

This is incorrect. You can be certain of what you saw and still have seen it incorrectly. There's no law of the universe that says we always see things the way the actually happen.

And at any rate, I think he was safe.

briancurtin Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 852142)

So now he guessed? Where do you get all of this information from?

JRutledge Mon Aug 20, 2012 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 852147)
This is incorrect. You can be certain of what you saw and still have seen it incorrectly. There's no law of the universe that says we always see things the way the actually happen.

And at any rate, I think he was safe.

It has got to be right if you give that kind of information. I know I had doubt when the call was made live. It cannot be kind of right or what you think it might have been, it must be RIGHT. We all have judgment calls and those judgment calls will be wrong. I think he was out but at first glance I thought the call was incorrect. Sometimes we just have to live with the close ones. I even think if replay was involved this would have stayed the same way.

Peace

Eastshire Mon Aug 20, 2012 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 852149)
It has got to be right if you give that kind of information. I know I had doubt when the call was made live. It cannot be kind of right or what you think it might have been, it must be RIGHT. We all have judgment calls and those judgment calls will be wrong. I think he was out but at first glance I thought the call was incorrect. Sometimes we just have to live with the close ones. I even think if replay was involved this would have stayed the same way.

Peace

I agree with all of this. I just giving the PU the benefit that he was certain he was right.

CT1 Mon Aug 20, 2012 01:25pm

Did anyone see a view from the CF camera that showed the ball in the glove? 'Cause I'm not sure F3 had complete control of the ball throughout the play.

Not that PU could have seen that either.