The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Greg Gibson Spiked in the Face (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92238-greg-gibson-spiked-face.html)

ozzy6900 Thu Aug 16, 2012 04:26am

Greg Gibson Spiked in the Face

Taking the call on 1 knee and a bad slide can only result in....

Umpire exits after being spiked in face

Manny A Thu Aug 16, 2012 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 851908)
Taking the call on 1 knee and a bad slide can only result in....

Umpire exits after being spiked in face

I couldn't see the video (work firewall, I guess). But I'd venture to say Gibson was probably to close to the play as well. Whatever happened to opening up your field of view by keeping some distance between yourself and the play?

Rich Thu Aug 16, 2012 09:45am

He was lucky Hunter decided not to wear metal cleats last night. Otherwise, who knows what could've happened to him.

RadioBlue Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 851914)
I couldn't see the video (work firewall, I guess). But I'd venture to say Gibson was probably to close to the play as well. Whatever happened to opening up your field of view by keeping some distance between yourself and the play?

He really wasn't that horribly close. Hunter slid head-first somewhat awkwardly and his upper body kind of "stuck" while his legs flew around and caught Gibson in the face. Couple that with the fact the slide was well to the backstop side of the plate, you have disaster.

MD Longhorn Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioBlue (Post 851921)
He really wasn't that horribly close. Hunter slid head-first somewhat awkwardly and his upper body kind of "stuck" while his legs flew around and caught Gibson in the face. Couple that with the fact the slide was well to the backstop side of the plate, you have disaster.

My first instinct was that he must have been too close - but he really wasn't, he was just in the line of the path of the runner after the runner passed home.

Hmmm... he was set up on 3BLX on a play coming from the left side of the infield. Hmm....

Matt Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 851923)
My first instinct was that he must have been too close - but he really wasn't, he was just in the line of the path of the runner after the runner passed home.

Hmmm... he was set up on 3BLX on a play coming from the left side of the infield. Hmm....

No, he was at the point of the plate. Had he been 3BLX, he would have had a great angle to determine if he got under the tag.

Anyone know what the call ended up being?

mbyron Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 851924)
No, he was at the point of the plate. Had he been 3BLX, he would have had a great angle to determine if he got under the tag.

The score hadn't changed at the end of the video, so I'm inferring that the call was "out."

Steven Tyler Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:54am

Quote:

He can see just as well as where he was at, if not better. What happened was a once in a life time thing. You can't just adjust on a split second.

MD Longhorn Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:00pm

I stand corrected.

RadioBlue Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:07pm

You see a lot more contact (and a bunch of near misses) between players and umpires at 3BLX than you do PoP or 1BLX. I think the bigger problem here was Gibson being down on one knee when the play developed. He couldn't move when he needed to.

CT1 Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioBlue (Post 851932)
You see a lot more contact (and a bunch of near misses) between players and umpires at 3BLX than you do PoP or 1BLX. I think the bigger problem here was Gibson being down on one knee when the play developed. He couldn't move when he needed to.

Probably the unfortunate combination of PoP positioning & being on one knee. I'd never recommend that.

Matt Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 851929)
He can see just as well as where he was at, if not better.

No, he couldn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 851929)
What happened was a once in a life time thing. You can't just adjust on a split second.

You can't adjust on a split second, but he should have been making an adjustment earlier. Also, being on a knee limits your ability to make a last-second lean to adjust, in addition to being dangerous as we saw here.

KJUmp Thu Aug 16, 2012 01:34pm

Quote:

ESPN Play by Play recap: "Hunter tagged out at plate."

Publius Thu Aug 16, 2012 09:30pm

Why was he out? All Santana did was hit him in the head with his elbow, then tag the dirt.

mbyron Fri Aug 17, 2012 06:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 851966)
Why was he out? All Santana did was hit him in the head with his elbow, then tag the dirt.

Probably a FYC for spiking him in the face. :D