The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Does the Angel's protest have a leg to stand on? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92189-does-angels-protest-have-leg-stand.html)

Dakota Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:29am

Does the Angel's protest have a leg to stand on?

They are apparently protesting the non-call of the running lane violation by Konerko.

I would have thought this would be a judgment call, and hence not protestable, but I'm just a fan as far as MLB rules go.

Does this protest even have a chance? (I mean technically, not politically.)

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | LAA@CWS: Scioscia argues call, protests game - Video | angels.com: Multimedia

rbmartin Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:17pm

Not a chance.

Rich Ives Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:17pm

F3 didn't have a prayer to catch the ball so how was he interfered with?

Remember - the interference has to be with the fielder taking the throw.

mbyron Sat Aug 04, 2012 01:02pm

Agree, no chance for protest. Not a quality throw (one which would have retired the runner absent the interference).

rbmartin Sat Aug 04, 2012 02:52pm

It has been 26 years since last sucessful protest...don't hold your breath.

Steven Tyler Sat Aug 04, 2012 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 850975)
It has been 26 years since last sucessful protest...don't hold your breath.

And it wasn't Tim McClelland's call either.

DG Sat Aug 04, 2012 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 850962)
F3 didn't have a prayer to catch the ball so how was he interfered with?

Remember - the interference has to be with the fielder taking the throw.

Looks like he caught the ball. The fact that he had to dive off the bag to do it makess it not a quality throw and thus no RLI.

I am surprised that Mike would protest the game on a call in the first inning, that was indeed a judgment call.

Rita C Sat Aug 04, 2012 07:54pm

Not even close to being upheld.

Rita

tmagan Sat Aug 04, 2012 09:13pm

Second worst rule in baseball to the step balk. A play like that happened in San Francisco this week to the Mets, and Terry Collins is right, asking the batter-runner to stay in the baseline, with the bag in fair territory is a problem waiting to happen. A call like that helped the Angels in game five of the 2005 ALDS against the Yankees and probably cost the Yankees the series. Either have it like softball, with a separate bag in foul territory, or extend the bag into foul territory with replay available to help the umpires if the batted ball hit the first base bag.

Rita C Sat Aug 04, 2012 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmagan (Post 851001)
Second worst rule in baseball to the step balk. A play like that happened in San Francisco this week to the Mets, and Terry Collins is right, asking the batter-runner to stay in the baseline, with the bag in fair territory is a problem waiting to happen. A call like that helped the Angels in game five of the 2005 ALDS against the Yankees and probably cost the Yankees the series. Either have it like softball, with a separate bag in foul territory, or extend the bag into foul territory with replay available to help the umpires if the batted ball hit the first base bag.

Seriously? As it is, umpires generally expect the runner to veer into fair territory a bit before the bag.

And remember, the foul line is part of the running lane and it is entirely in fair territory. So if the left foot is on the line, there should be no great need to veer.

Rita

Plus it's 45 ft! Not too much to ask.

DG Sun Aug 05, 2012 07:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmagan (Post 851001)

Evans says, and it is generally understood, that the BR must step outside the runners lane to step on the bag. There is a difference between running a significant distance in fair territory, vs. just the last few feet to step on the bag. Nothing wrong with this rule.

grunewar Mon Aug 06, 2012 03:43pm

Update

No surprise here.....

Angels' protest of 8-6 loss at White Sox denied ? USATODAY.com

jicecone Mon Aug 06, 2012 09:06pm

Not surprised at the denial but, I have to ask what is it with the pretty necklace around U1 neck? Are the officials going to gold chains next?

tmagan Mon Aug 06, 2012 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 851176)
Not surprised at the denial but, I have to ask what is it with the pretty necklace around U1 neck? Are the officials going to gold chains next?

The two umpires who always wore the most jewelry were Doug Harvey and Eric Gregg.

I also remember Lee Weyer and Fred Brocklander also wearing watches, even behind the plate.

Rita C Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:57pm

Angels' protest of 8-6 loss at White Sox denied - Yahoo! Sports

I thought you all might enjoy Scioscia's whine. He still thinks the ruling was incorrect.

Rita