The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   PU Positioning (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92139-pu-positioning.html)

Rufus Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:44pm

PU Positioning

Coach here with a question. Was watching an MLB game, can't recall which, and there was a play at the plate. BR hit a single to LF and the throw came home, but was up the line toward 3B. As the C moves to field the throw and attempt to make a play I notice the PU moving from behind the plate up the first base line in foul territory.

I'm not interested in slamming or questioning his positioning, but wanted to know when do you ideally make the decision on where you need to be to see the play? I know from reading some previous posts that you don't want to be moving when viewing a play if possible but, in cases like this where the throw may be not where you expect it to be, it seems like you almost have to be.

Guess I'm wondering a bit about the mechanics of when you decide to move to get in position and what dictates where you stand. Thanks in advance.

MD Longhorn Fri Jul 27, 2012 01:03pm

A) You want to be somewhere where you can see tag (or catch), ball, and base.
B) You want to be somewhere where you do not affect the play.
C) You definitely move as the play develops (i.e. in your example when you see the throw off line - the spot you want to see the tag moves), and be still as late as possible.
D) Most of the time, angle is far more important than distance.

MD Longhorn Fri Jul 27, 2012 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SafeOutReplay (Post 850148)
Umpire mechanics are determined by umpire associations both local, national, regional and international. Where your particular umpire should have been, assuming he was wrong, is impossible to say without knowing how he was instructed by the league or assn he adheres.

The league or association? I think most people know the mechanics of the league or association he's referring to.

Rufus Fri Jul 27, 2012 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 850158)
The league or association? I think most people know the mechanics of the league or association he's referring to.

Thanks fir the replies MB. Meant MLB. Do you start on the baseline extended (third baseline in my example) then adjust?

Sorry for the basic questions, just always wondered.

BigUmp56 Fri Jul 27, 2012 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 850185)
Thanks fir the replies MB. Meant MLB. Do you start on the baseline extended (third baseline in my example) then adjust?

Sorry for the basic questions, just always wondered.

Most experienced umpires will initially line themselves up on the point of the plate and let the play dictate where they move to make their call.

Tim.

johnnyg08 Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:03pm

Unless you're doing professional baseball where you can have legal collisions at the plate, you will see most amateur umpires who know what they're doing take plays at the plate from third base line extended.

SAump Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 850195)
Unless you're doing professional baseball where you can have legal collisions at the plate, you will see most amateur umpires who know what they're doing take plays at the plate from third base line extended.

Umpire Clinics encourage Point of plate on throw from left field and 3BLX on throw from right field, because of the swipe tag.

When I began, I took everything from 1BLX but there were times when the catcher's body, runner's legs and dust cloud would make it hard to see a dropped ball after the tag. When the ball is thrown in and where the catcher sets allows you the opportunity to decide on one of the 3 choices.

MD Longhorn Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 850195)

Not from left field or 3rd base!

CT1 Mon Jul 30, 2012 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 850418)
Not on throws coming from left field or 3rd base!

Fixed it for you.

BigUmp56 Mon Jul 30, 2012 05:43pm

I've seen MLB umpires step into fair territory from time to time to take a play at the plate. This isn't something that's been taught at any camp or clinic I've attended. I'm curious if this is an advanced mechanic some of you might use. If so, what would dictate you moving into fair territory?

Tim.

Matt Mon Jul 30, 2012 09:53pm

Quote:

Yes, you do.

There is only one play that should be taken from anywhere other than 3BLX and that is if F2 is blocking and the runner appears to intend to go between his legs.

Even from the left side, taking a play from 1BLX will cause the runner (at least) to be between you and the tag.

Steve Meyer Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 850497)
I've seen MLB umpires step into fair territory from time to time to take a play at the plate. This isn't something that's been taught at any camp or clinic I've attended. I'm curious if this is an advanced mechanic some of you might use. If so, what would dictate you moving into fair territory?

Tim.

And I've seen them sell the crap out of an out call at home when the throw sailed clear to the backstop.

The mechanic has been out for a while. I'll use 1BLX until I'm mandated to do such. MLB has pristine fields. Most fields I've been on aren't that way. Can't see a damn thing with dirt flying everywhere from 3BLX.

johnnyg08 Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:47pm

Quote:

Those are the most important times for you to be 3blx.

johnnyg08 Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:48pm

Certain clinics try to have "the answer" but you will be in the right place more times than not if you take the plays at the plate from 3BLX and on a block, rotate up in to fair territory that way you can also see if the ball comes out.

MD Longhorn Tue Jul 31, 2012 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 850527)
Those are the most important times for you to be 3blx.

Yes, taking the runner and the throw at a 180 angle is a great idea. That's why we call steals of 2nd base from center field, right?