The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   NCAA Appeal Question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92092-ncaa-appeal-question.html)

cookie Sat Jul 21, 2012 02:53pm

NCAA Appeal Question

I'm trying to understand fully the nature of NCAA appeals...

NCAA Rule 8.6.b (3): The defensive team receives only one chance on an appeal. In the case of multiple appeals, if the defense errs during its first appeal attempt, or any base runner advances, the defense loses its right to appeal any runner at any base

Play: R2 and R3, no outs, fly ball to deep right center, both runners tag up and advance. Defense appeals the R3 left too soon. PU does not uphold the appeal. Defense now wants to appeal that R2 left too soon. Is the appeal not allowed because the defense erred on its first try - it already had its one chance? (Obviously, the word "errs" means something different in NCAA terminology than what it means in OBR.)

DG Sat Jul 21, 2012 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 849593)

NCAA Rule 8.6.b (3): The defensive team receives only one chance on an appeal. In the case of multiple appeals, if the defense errs during its first appeal attempt, or any base runner advances, the defense loses its right to appeal any runner at any base

Play: R2 and R3, no outs, fly ball to deep right center, both runners tag up and advance. Defense appeals the R3 left too soon. PU does not uphold the appeal. Defense now wants to appeal that R2 left too soon. Is the appeal not allowed because the defense erred on its first try - it already had its one chance? (Obviously, the word "errs" means something different in NCAA terminology than what it means in OBR.)

I think it means that if the defense errs, no further appeals may be made. An example, in attempt to appeal pitcher balks, or throws the ball into dead ball territory. If the throw remains in live ball territory the appeal can still be made it the ball is returned to the appeal base before any runners advance.

tcarilli Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:01pm

Quote:

(Obviously, the word "errs" means something different in NCAA terminology than what it means in OBR.)

No, it means the same thing. If the defense throws the ball away and the runners advance no further appeals are allowed. If the offense causes the defense to make a play on a runner, the appeal is still allowed.

cookie Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcarilli (Post 849608)
No, it means the same thing. If the defense throws the ball away and the runners advance no further appeals are allowed. If the offense causes the defense to make a play on a runner, the appeal is still allowed.

The reason "errs" confuses me in NCAA terminology is that in OBR, it definitely means the ball was thrown into DBT, but if I read NCAA Rule 8.6.b (5), "errs" doesn't necessarily mean the ball going into DBT.

"NCAA 8.6.b (5): If the defensive team errs on an appeal play and the ball remains in live-ball territory, the appeal will be allowed if:
(a) The ball is immediately returned to the base being appealed; and
(b) No runners advance on the misplay..."

Obviously, "errs" in this situation does not mean the ball went out of play.

Getting back to the other part of my OP, in NCAA is the appeal of R2 permitted or not (regardless of whether it is upheld or not), even though the defense was wrong on R3?

dash_riprock Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 849610)
Getting back to the other part of my OP, in NCAA is the appeal of R2 permitted or not (regardless of whether it is upheld or not), even though the defense was wrong on R3?

The 2nd appeal would be permitted.

tcarilli Sun Jul 22, 2012 07:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 849610)
The reason "errs" confuses me in NCAA terminology is that in OBR, it definitely means the ball was thrown into DBT, but if I read NCAA Rule 8.6.b (5), "errs" doesn't necessarily mean the ball going into DBT.

"NCAA 8.6.b (5): If the defensive team errs on an appeal play and the ball remains in live-ball territory, the appeal will be allowed if:

Obviously, "errs" in this situation does not mean the ball went out of play.

Yes, err certainly does not mean is incorrect about leaving early.

ozzy6900 Sun Jul 22, 2012 07:38am

Quote:

No, the 2nd appeal would be allowed. To "err" means throwing the ball into DBT or F1 balking. Erring does not include an umpire rejecting an appeal.

cookie Thu Jul 26, 2012 03:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 849621)
No, the 2nd appeal would be allowed. To "err" means throwing the ball into DBT or F1 balking. Erring does not include an umpire rejecting an appeal.

With respect to 8.6.b(3), "errs" most likely means the ball going into DBT or a balk has been committed.

However, with respect to 8.6.b(5), it must mean just a plain old error, as the ball does not go out of play, nor is there a balk...

OK, so if a properly made appeal is not upheld on a particular runner, an appeal can still be made on another runner. This is not a case of "erring."

The reason I asked this question (OP) is because I had observed a PU not uphold an appeal on R3 for not tagging up, but when the coach wanted to also appeal R2 for not tagging up, he was denied the opportunity by the BU because "multiple appeals are not allowed."

Thanks men for providing your feedback...