The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Recently, there was a thread on changing call and I think Garth Mentioned that there is no concensus but after watching MLB these days IMO, Carl Childress's FAB V should be resurrected. If there is a "changing of the guard" then IMO it's changing for the worst.

Here's the latest debacle. Bosox and Drays

Drays have runners on first / second 1 out, when A line shot is hit to centerfield. U2 rules Catch and F8 throws to F4 to complete the DP. (R2 was off the bag)

Who else but Mr. Pinella comes out(only this time he was right for a change) and argues the call saying that F8 trapped the ball and did not catch it. (Replay backed this up) U3 who had a better look at the play says that F8 indeeed Missed the ball and now the call was changed.

They had a meeting and decided to put r2 at third, B1 to first and rule R1 out and second on the Force. Now even though the call was CHANGED Mr. Pinella was still unhappy.

I don't know if the game was under protest or not, but it goes to show you what can happen when a call is changed even if the call is correct when multiple runners are involved. Each team even with the call corrected was upset. It would have been interesting to see what would the result be if this were a playoff game.

Don't know what's going on in MLB these days but IMO it's a changing for the worst.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
I saw the game and the play. U1 blew the call, not U2. (U1 later in the game called a batted ball fair while DiMuro, the PU, called it foul - it was not his night.) It was a liner shaded to the right field side of center, so U1 ran out to cover the catch since U2 was inside.

Brinkman was the crew chief. They overturned the call based on U2's information, and clearly the ball was trapped by Damon. So, they ended up getting the call right.

There was 1 out. Initially, as Pete said, R2 was ruled out for failing to tag up. Then, Brinkman was going to leave the bases loaded and just 1 out. But BoSox manager Grady Little and pitcher John Burkett argued heatedly that R1 should be called out on the force at second, that it wouldn't be fair to give them bases loaded. It seemed DiMuro agreed with Boston's stance, so Brinkman changed his mind and declared R1 out on the force.

Piniella did in fact protest the game. His argument was twofold. First, that R1 should not be called out at 2nd, and also that R2 could've scored on the play. Replays showed quite clearly that R2 would not have scored, but he was just as confused as everyone else on the play and unsure whether to go back to 2nd or not, and that's why he never progressed beyond 3rd.

It was a mess. It took a good 10 minutes to straighten it all out. Red Sox coverage even broke away from commercial to show the hellabaloo, because the Red Sox had run off the field after they thought they completed a double play to end the inning. It's a shame the Devil Rays ended up winning in extra innings. It would've been grand to hear the outcome of the protest, because if the Rays had lost, it clearly would've affected the outcome.

Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

I heard about it on ESPN but never found out the final ruling of the play.

The initial call was OUT on the catch, OUT at second for failure to tag, correct? Then once the catch was overturned, they rule OUT R2 who was at 1st OUT on the force at 2nd, correct?

Didn't the umpires OUT call on the catch cause R2 at 1st not to run?

I would think bases loaded, 1 OUT.

What would your ruling be on that play?
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

judgement calls....

If I was PU or UIC or whatever... the proper ump made a JUDGEMENT call. He's got a catch, me too. MLB is just too intrusive...........
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: judgement calls....

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
If I was PU or UIC or whatever... the proper ump made a JUDGEMENT call. He's got a catch, me too. MLB is just too intrusive...........
I agree with Chris. I would not have changed the call since it was his call and it was judgement.

I would have liked to seen the protest and hear what ruling they come up with to cover their mistake.

Brinkman has had a bad month, first a fair/foul and now this.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Here 's one....

9-10's, same tournry as the one I'm getting hammered for not being ......2 outs, pard in A. Ball hit hard sinker to left of second, F6 dives and I see a catch(mind you, field is very loose, skinned infield, lotsa dust)I pause, BU , moving inside, signals a catch(NOT HIS CALL). Then, F6 jumps up and fires to first(nice play for a 10 year old)BU then signals safe at first. I made no call....so far. Kaos (remember agent 99) explodes, Bu points to me, I walk a couple steps and announce, "I got a catch". Now we got some really pissed off folks! Manager asks me bout the call, explained it was mine and BU F$$$$$$$ up, clear and consice, no need to make excuses.

Now, F6 jumping up and throwing kinda screwed it all up!!But, I saw no trap, looked good to me(60 footer)...Darn kids......:0