The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Rundown question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92009-rundown-question.html)

onetime1 Wed Jul 11, 2012 09:17pm

Rundown question

runners on 1st R1 and 2nd R2. Runner on 2nd is picked off and now in a rundown between 2nd and 3rd. Runner on 1st occupies 2nd during the rundown. As R2 is heading back to 2nd base coach yells "run him back and tag both" As he says this R1 takes off back to 1st and the defense makes an errant throw causing runners now at 2nd and 3rd. Is this lega? One R1 touches 2nd can he run back to 1st? What do ya got?

johnnyg08 Wed Jul 11, 2012 09:20pm

Sure, he can run back to 1B if R2 is not yet out b/c second base belongs to R2.

mbyron Wed Jul 11, 2012 09:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 848804)
Sure, he can run back to 1B if R2 is not yet out b/c second base belongs to R2.

R2's status is irrelevant. R1 may return to 1B any time during the play.

Tagging both on the base gets just 1 out, tho they might well do something dumb.

johnnyg08 Thu Jul 12, 2012 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 848805)
R2's status is irrelevant. R1 may return to 1B any time during the play.

Tagging both on the base gets just 1 out, tho they might well do something dumb.

It is quite relevant, b/c if R2 is tagged out, then R1 has now obtained 2B and he becomes the new R2 and can't be tagged out if he's standing on 2b

UmpJM Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:00am

johnny,

mbyron said it was irrelevant to the question of whether R1 could return to 1B or not, because your previous post erroneously implied that R1's right to return to 1B was in someway dependent on whether R2 had been retired or not.

And it's not.

JM

mbyron Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 848842)
johnny,

mbyron said it was irrelevant to the question of whether R1 could return to 1B or not, because your previous post erroneously implied that R1's right to return to 1B was in someway dependent on whether R2 had been retired or not.

And it's not.

JM

Thanks, JM.

johnnyg08, I was answering the OP's question, not your (different) question, which seems to be why R1 would want to return. We often see runners do goofy things and need to rule on their legality, not their advisability!

ozzy6900 Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetime1 (Post 848803)
runners on 1st R1 and 2nd R2. Runner on 2nd is picked off and now in a rundown between 2nd and 3rd. Runner on 1st occupies 2nd during the rundown. As R2 is heading back to 2nd base coach yells "run him back and tag both" As he says this R1 takes off back to 1st and the defense makes an errant throw causing runners now at 2nd and 3rd. Is this lega? One R1 touches 2nd can he run back to 1st? What do ya got?

I think the better question here is why do your think this might not be legal?

MD Longhorn Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 848854)
I think the better question here is why do your think this might not be legal?

Oh no... here comes the T word... :)

mbyron Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 848855)
Oh no... here comes the T word... :)

Let's hope you're wrong about that. ;)

How about a list of times a runner may NOT return to the previous base?

1. when he has touched his advance base and the ball then becomes dead.
2. in order to confuse the defense....

Any others?

MD Longhorn Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 848866)
Let's hope you're wrong about that. ;)

How about a list of times a runner may NOT return to the previous base?

1. when he has touched his advance base and the ball then becomes dead.
2. in order to confuse the defense....

Any others?

On 1) it's not prohibited --- it's just not recognized that he has returned. He's not out for trying to return --- he's just still out if it's appealled (and was a missed base, of course).

Only in 2 (avoiding the T word) is it expressly against the rules to return.

(If you mean return safely... I'd add in 3) when forced to leave the base to make room for subsequent runners due to B becoming BR)

johnnyg08 Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 848842)
johnny,

And it's not.

JM

I get that...and I agree with you. As I've said many times before. IANAPW

I Am Not A Professional Writer.