The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Incredible play / INT? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/91433-incredible-play-int.html)

rbmartin Tue May 29, 2012 02:20pm

Incredible play / INT?

This is an incredible play.
Would any of you guys call INT on this play?

Joe Robie Video: Combines With Corey Tipton For Amazing Diving Catch : The Clubhouse

How far out of the box can a batter go until he has to yield to the catcher?

nopachunts Tue May 29, 2012 02:43pm

Definitely a HTBT situation but I would have interference on the BR. It looks like in the video that the BR is looking around for F2. Once F2 has gone behind him, he seems to speed up. If the BR had never looked around to find F2, I have nothing.

cmckenna Tue May 29, 2012 03:06pm

Looks to me like the BR just looked up to see fair/foul like any other batter. Didn't look like he was looking for F2 at all

dash_riprock Tue May 29, 2012 04:07pm

It's not even a tangle/untangle. I have nothing but a 2-1 catch.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue May 29, 2012 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 843876)
This is an incredible play.
Would any of you guys call INT on this play?

Joe Robie Video: Combines With Corey Tipton For Amazing Diving Catch : The Clubhouse

How far out of the box can a batter go until he has to yield to the catcher?

Mark, Jr., and I watched this game live on BCSN (the local sports network for the cable company in Toledo). We know the umpires because this was a Metro. Toledo Ump. Assn. assignment. (Mark, Jr., was the BU umpire in this league's Freshmen Baseball Championship game last Thursday and I will start another thread about the unusual play that ended that game.)

When we first saw the play we thought INT andbwe still believe it was INT, but we also believe that it happened so fast considering that the PU had to clear the Plate area and line up the foul line that the play was over before it really started.

MTD, Sr.

mbyron Tue May 29, 2012 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 843894)
it's not even a tangle/untangle. I have nothing but a 2-1 catch.

+1

thumpferee Tue May 29, 2012 06:18pm

If I'm not mistaken, this was #1 on Sportscenter. When I first saw it, I thought the catcher intentionally tipped it to the pitcher, which if so, was a greater play than how it turned out already. I also thought about this forum and knew it would come up. My original thought was yes, only because he stopped and then delayed his obligation to run to first.

My question would be, what if the ball wasn't caught!

No hind-sight! What did you all really think when you saw it for the first time?

soundedlikeastrike Tue May 29, 2012 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 843917)
If I'm not mistaken, this was #1 on Sportscenter. When I first saw it, I thought the catcher intentionally tipped it to the pitcher, which if so, was a greater play than how it turned out already. I also thought about this forum and knew it would come up. My original thought was yes, only because he stopped and then delayed his obligation to run to first.

My question would be, what if the ball wasn't caught!

No hind-sight! What did you all really think when you saw it for the first time?

Caught or not, if it's int., it's from that instant.
If your asking about the play without INT, it's a fair ball and play on.

Hind sight, slow motion, waiving any other umpiring responsibilties and watching nothing but F2/BR; Int. BR slowed forcing F2 to deviate his path, by definition INT. Were this say a squibber on the ground, maybe PU see's something. Somebody asked "how far can the BR be from HP?" I'd say he was to far under different conditions, slide along the fence and say;

Real life and full speed when I first watched it, nothing. And still agree with that.

jicecone Tue May 29, 2012 10:04pm

Inter-what? Batter-runner, catcher and pitcher all doing what they were suppose to.

Sometimes it best to let the players play the game, and just umpire.

Welpe Tue May 29, 2012 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 843894)
It's not even a tangle/untangle. I have nothing but a 2-1 catch.

Agreed. Nothing, not even in Fed.

JRutledge Tue May 29, 2012 11:34pm

I have a great catch. I cannot imagine calling anything but a catch on this play.

Peace

BSUmp16 Wed May 30, 2012 12:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 843911)
+1

Another +1

MD Longhorn Wed May 30, 2012 08:44am

I have no INT on this play, regardless of ruleset, regardless of whether the ball was caught or not.

ozzy6900 Wed May 30, 2012 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 843945)
Inter-what? Batter-runner, catcher and pitcher all doing what they were suppose to.

Sometimes it best to let the players play the game, and just umpire.

Good Advice! +1