The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme561 View Post
I guess I haven't done enough 'baby ball' where things like this happen. Run all the way back to HP hoping that the fielder will fall down? Did you coach your players to do that? Hopefully the opposing coach taught his fielders to throw the ball to 1B when the BR ran toward HP. I admit it Rich, I do not understand that strategy. But maybe some day I will so that I can be as good of an umpire as you think you are.
Justme, you are obviously in un-familiar territory calling out Rich, MB, and the likes.

Since you are new to this board, I would recommend staying back a bit and let the more experienced guys post responses until you learn who is who.

Otherwise, you will put yourself in a corner where relevance to the price of tea in china is even more meaningless than it is already.

Higgy
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom View Post
Justme, you are obviously in un-familiar territory calling out Rich, MB, and the likes.

Since you are new to this board, I would recommend staying back a bit and let the more experienced guys post responses until you learn who is who.

Otherwise, you will put yourself in a corner where relevance to the price of tea in china is even more meaningless than it is already.

Higgy
Higgy, I thank you for you kind words of concern.

I know who Rich is and respect his knowledge base BUT I reserve the right to disagree with him or to make comments in response to unnecessary statements about whether or not I should umpiring.

I can certainly take constructive criticism without having my feelings hurt, in fact I am so secure with myself that even the nonconstructive criticism doesn't hurt my feelings. But like I said before I will comment when I feel a comment is necessary....

I bet that Rich and MB (I admit I do not know who he is) are not too devastated over my comments. Like me they probably demonstrate their abilities daily on the baseball field whether doing 12 yo's or college games (and that's the only place it matters). Regardless of the disagreements I have with others on this board or how they feel toward me I rest secure knowing that tomorrow the sun will shine and my dog will still love me.

Okay end of sermon, time to pass the offering plate around..... Peace
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump View Post
Ground ball up the first base line. F3 fields ball near line. As batter runner approaches F3, BR begins to retreat a couple of steps towards home to avoid the tag. * Is BR out if he backs up like this? * Or can he retreat all the way to home?
NCAA rule citation if possible.
It's real simple:
  • In softball, the BR is out if he/she retreats toward home
  • In baseball, the BR may retreat toward home but will be called out if he/she touches home plate
Is that simple enough?
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess I haven't done enough 'baby ball' where things like this happen. Run all the way back to HP hoping that the fielder will fall down? Did you coach your players to do that? Hopefully the opposing coach taught his fielders to throw the ball to 1B when the BR ran toward HP. I admit it Rich, I do not understand that strategy. But maybe some day I will so that I can be as good of an umpire as you think you are.
Hell - I've seen MLB players do it.

Any time you can forstall an out you open up the possibility of a good thing happening.

I don't know if there's an avaliable video anywhere but there was a play in MLB 50 or so years ago when a batter hit a ground ball up the 1B line. F3 (Norm Cash if I remember right) fielded the ball and looked to tag the BR. The BR stopped dead in his tracks. F3 turned and threw the ball to F1. BR then ran right by F3 and made it to 1B safely.

Do something strange - it may have a good result.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You've never had a bunt and run play where the batter-runner pushes the ball towards F3 who plays the ball and advances towards the batter-runner?

The batter-runner stops and retreats, causing F3 to stop and make the throw to F4 at first for the put-out.....Meanwhile R1 is steaming around second and makes it to third standing up.

This play happened two weeks ago in a D1 college game I workedand I've seen other things happend from the batter-runner retreating.

Then again, I understand why you would be baffled about this seeing that your most memorable game of the year was actually not a game, but a shooting at prior to your JV game.

I guess the most memorable part was that you got paid.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
You've never had a bunt and run play where the batter-runner pushes the ball towards F3 who plays the ball and advances towards the batter-runner?

The batter-runner stops and retreats, causing F3 to stop and make the throw to F4 at first for the put-out.....Meanwhile R1 is steaming around second and makes it to third standing up.

This play happened two weeks ago in a D1 college game I workedand I've seen other things happend from the batter-runner retreating.

Then again, I understand why you would be baffled about this seeing that your most memorable game of the year was actually not a game, but a shooting at prior to your JV game.

I guess the most memorable part was that you got paid.
I feel the love..........

You saw that in a D1 game you were working? I am impressed!

You shouldn't be a hater and bash me because of memorable game story. My guess is that you would have been like most of the people that were at the game when the shooting started....they ran for cover thinking only of themselves while some of us...... well we made a difference. Even if it was a small difference. Note: Actually in was a varsity game, the JV players were on another field practicing. Would it have mattered more to you if it were varsity players that the gunman was shooting at?

Wait, that was mean, I am being 'snarky' again.... please feel free to write me another bashing reply.

Last edited by Justme561; Fri May 18, 2012 at 02:46pm.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I feel the love..........

You saw that in a D1 game you were working? I am impressed!

You shouldn't be a hater and bash me because of memorable game story. My guess is that you would have been like most of the people that were at the game when the shooting started....they ran for cover thinking only of themselves while some of us...... well we made a difference. Even if it was a small difference. Note: Actually in was a varsity game, the JV players were on another field practicing. Would it have mattered more to you if it were varsity players that the gunman was shooting at?

Wait, that was mean, I am being 'snarky' again.... please feel free to write me another bashing reply.

Hater....... How about growing up !!

Then again, you show your immaturity by informing us that you got paid in your "memorable game".

P.S. -- I don't care if you are impressed or not.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Hater....... How about growing up !!

Then again, you show your immaturity by informing us that you got paid in your "memorable game".

P.S. -- I don't care if you are impressed or not.

Does it bother you that much that I concluded my story with 'I got paid'? Don't forget the smiley face, wonder what that meant? I'm not sure how saying that I got paid showed my lack of maturity. But obviously in your 'mature' mind I offended the Gods of Baseball. Relax kid, you take 'nothing' things like what is written on this board way too seriously.

Way back in the OP there was no mention of runners on bases or any other scenario that has been interjected since. My comment that got this entire 'discussion' to where it is now was something like 'no umpire should be out on the field if he or she doesn't know the rules' or at least that's how I meant for it to be. I still stand by that. Whether you work 12yo's or D1 ball you must know the rules and how to apply them or you do yourself and everyone a great injustice by being on the field.

So I'm going to let you have the last words in this discussion. I'm not going to respond to any more comments from you or anyone. This entire discussion has gotten way out of hand. And to make you feel even better I will remove my story about the shooting (if I can) since it seems to have upset you so much. I just meant to share with everyone here what to me will truly be my most unforgettable baseball game (or almost baseball game) And YES I did get paid
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Ok, OK, OKAYYYYYYYYYYYY Enough already!! I know somewhere in this country it might be too hot outside (not where I am, unfortunately), so guys, take a cold shower, pop a brewskie and CHILL!!

The best thing I got out of this thread was: "Do something strange, it may have a good result"

Classic Rich!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess I haven't done enough 'baby ball' where things like this happen.
Wow... what is your problem, sir. Baby ball? I've seen this on MLB. Do you teach your batter-runner to simply run into the tag if F3 has the ball in front of him?
Quote:
Run all the way back to HP hoping that the fielder will fall down? Did you coach your players to do that? Hopefully the opposing coach taught his fielders to throw the ball to 1B when the BR ran toward HP. I admit it Rich, I do not understand that strategy. But maybe some day I will so that I can be as good of an umpire as you think you are.
Of course they should throw to first. But if your BR keeps running, they don't have to. Retreating forces them to chase or throw to first, giving any other runner more time.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 05:48pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Do you have a rules book?
Good one, Mr. Personality.......................
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

follow-up question

Gang,

I see the NCAA rule and NFHS has the same rule, but I can't find any wording to that extent in the MLB rules. Only reference I see is 7.08 (i) After he has acquired legal possession of a base, he runs the bases in reverse order
for the purpose of confusing the defense or making a travesty of the game. The umpire shall immediately call “Time” and declare the runner out;

But this does not seem to apply either?
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWASH View Post
Gang,

I see the NCAA rule and NFHS has the same rule, but I can't find any wording to that extent in the MLB rules. Only reference I see is 7.08 (i) After he has acquired legal possession of a base, he runs the bases in reverse order
for the purpose of confusing the defense or making a travesty of the game. The umpire shall immediately call “Time” and declare the runner out;

But this does not seem to apply either?
Correct: that doesn't apply.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

pecking order

seriously! Let those of know when and how often we are allowed to post so we don't overstep our boundries
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 08:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Buy time for other runners if the fielder's stupid enough to chase after him.

Hope the fielder trips and/or drops the ball during the effort so he can then get to 1B.

If you don't know why players do things maybe you don't understand the game well enough and shouldn't be umpiring.
I am in total agreement with you on this one. I also hate it when people trot out the travesty card!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25