The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Interference with ejection ? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/91039-interference-ejection.html)

tankmjg24 Mon May 07, 2012 12:14pm

Interference with ejection ?

10U USSSA game and I am the field umpire. R1 and BR hits a ground ball to F6 who throws to F4 to begin the attempt at a double play. R1 is out by about 20 feet give or take. F4 comes across 2nd in the direction of 3rd and begins to throw to F3 but double clutches then throws wide into the dugout. R1 went into second standing up, but he ducked his head and veered inwards. I signaled the out at second then called BR out for interference by R1.

The manager who is the first base coach comes out and wants an explanation. His statement to me is that the runner does not have to slide. My response was that I agree, however he cannot veer into the path of the throw as this is interference. He replies by saying that I am wrong and that the runner can do whatever he wishes and that he wants to appeal to the plate umpire. I deny his appeal and tell him that the out stands and we are going to play ball. He kind of stands there for a second then replies with the comment that if I am going to umpire this level of ball he wishes that I would learn the rules. He then brings up a previous play where he thought a balk had occurred. At this point he turns to walk back to the coaches box and drops a "bullsh*t" under his breath but loud enough that I could hear him. This is where I ejected him. He argued a bit more but eventually simmered down and left the park.

dash_riprock Mon May 07, 2012 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankmjg24 (Post 840560)

10U USSSA game...

He kind of stands there for a second then replies with the comment that if I am going to umpire this level of ball he wishes that I would learn the rules.

Hahahahaha. Good job. You needed to take out the trash.

Rich Mon May 07, 2012 12:48pm

Quote:

10U USSSA game and I am the field umpire. R1 and BR hits a ground ball to F6 who throws to F4 to begin the attempt at a double play. R1 is out by about 20 feet give or take. F4 comes across 2nd in the direction of 3rd and begins to throw to F3 but double clutches then throws wide into the dugout. R1 went into second standing up, but he ducked his head and veered inwards. I signaled the out at second then called BR out for interference by R1.

The manager who is the first base coach comes out and wants an explanation. His statement to me is that the runner does not have to slide. My response was that I agree, however he cannot veer into the path of the throw as this is interference. He replies by saying that I am wrong and that the runner can do whatever he wishes and that he wants to appeal to the plate umpire. I deny his appeal and tell him that the out stands and we are going to play ball. He kind of stands there for a second then replies with the comment that if I am going to umpire this level of ball he wishes that I would learn the rules. He then brings up a previous play where he thought a balk had occurred. At this point he turns to walk back to the coaches box and drops a "bullsh*t" under his breath but loud enough that I could hear him. This is where I ejected him. He argued a bit more but eventually simmered down and left the park.

This level? What, advanced tee ball?

MD Longhorn Mon May 07, 2012 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 840568)
This level? What, advanced tee ball?

I kind of thought the same thing. Love the coaches that think they've risen to the great heights of "this level of ball" at 10U. I have done some quite good 10U tourneys, but I don't think even the best of those coaches would call those games "this level of ball" with some sort of arrogance. Ridiculous, really.

As to the EJ - absolutely warranted and well handled. Perhaps one sentence too late ... DEFINITELY not too early.

RPatrino Mon May 07, 2012 02:54pm

My suggestion is that once you say, 'now let's play ball, coach', you turn and get back to your position. If the coach chooses at that point to follow you, that's when you EJ.

You explained your ruling, and stated you would not be changing the call. Time to play, and move on. Anything else he said after that is too much. It's on you if you 'invite' more dialog then needed.

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 07, 2012 11:51pm

"...then replies with the comment that if I am going to umpire this level of ball he wishes that I would learn the rules."

ROTFLMAO!!!!

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 07, 2012 11:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 840591)
As to the EJ - absolutely warranted and well handled. Perhaps one sentence too late ... DEFINITELY not too early.

I agree. When he brought up a previous call (aka the "past") I would have dispatched him forthwith.

Steven Tyler Tue May 08, 2012 12:46am

I'm trying to visulize the interference by R1.............:confused:

MD Longhorn Tue May 08, 2012 08:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 840667)
I'm trying to visulize the interference by R1.............:confused:

Really? Why? Seems pretty straightforward to me. We've all seen this play.

Rich Ives Tue May 08, 2012 08:47am

I strangely agree with Aerosmith - with both my OC and DC hats on. Where is the interferemce if the runner was within reach of the bag? How is this different than a legal "take-out" slide within reach iof the bag? If you're calling interference it's because you're creating a requirement not required by the rules. USSSA isn't FED. Lose the FED hats.

CT1 Tue May 08, 2012 09:15am

Quote:

He replies by saying that I am wrong and that the runner can do whatever he wishes

I have quit listening at this point. He can either go back to coaching, or out the gate -- his choice.

MD Longhorn Tue May 08, 2012 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 840699)
I strangely agree with Aerosmith - with both my OC and DC hats on. Where is the interferemce if the runner was within reach of the bag? How is this different than a legal "take-out" slide within reach iof the bag? If you're calling interference it's because you're creating a requirement not required by the rules. USSSA isn't FED. Lose the FED hats.

No one is saying they are forced to slide. However, a retired runner remaining upright and running toward the thrower such that it forces the fielder to double-clutch his throw is interference in any code.

dileonardoja Tue May 08, 2012 10:01am

You made the call and ejected. I Agree. Whether or not is was interference, HTBT. F4 should go ahead and throw the ball. The runner will get out of the way or learn his lesson. OK, OK this is 10U so maybe not. In that vein, the call should be closer to NFHS than to OBR and interference is a good call. Interference is a Judgement call so Rich and Aerosmith should get over it

Steven Tyler Tue May 08, 2012 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 840722)
No one is saying they are forced to slide. However, a retired runner remaining upright and running toward the thrower such that it forces the fielder to double-clutch his throw is interference in any code.

If that's the case, then F4/F6 should always double clutch. Remember it's just judgment, and will get you home faster.

MD Longhorn Tue May 08, 2012 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 840787)
If that's the case, then F4/F6 should always double clutch. Remember it's just judgment, and will get you home faster.

I unignored you because someone I trust here told me you'd stopped putting words in peoples mouths and then arguing with those words they didn't say. He may have been wrong.

I did not say that every time a fielder double clutches, it's interference. I said that if a runner remains upright, veers toward the fielder and CAUSES him to double clutch, it's interference. If you, the umpire, rule that his action of running toward the fielder after being put out interfered with the ability of him to throw the ball - call it.

PS - what the heck do you mean by "it's just judgement and will get you home faster" ... if that's your mentality, then you want outs ... and interference here is an out - arguing AGAINST the interference as you are gets you less outs, getting you home slower. (Not that this is my criteria... just that your comment contradicts your argument).