The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Interference at 2nd? 1 out or 2? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/90931-interference-2nd-1-out-2-a.html)

jTheUmp Tue May 01, 2012 08:57am

Interference at 2nd? 1 out or 2?

Hopefully I can describe this correctly:

R1, 1 out.
Batter hits a roller to F6, who fields cleanly and throws to F4 for the force out at 2nd.

R1 (now a retired runner) does a 'pop-up' slide, and F4's throw to F3 hits R1's helmet. R1 never actually made contact with F4.

Interference?

Defensive coach wanted interference on R1, and for me to call BR out as well.

My ruling was "intereference on R1, which did not prevent a possible double play (9th grade game, most infielders aren't quick enough to turn a 6-4-3 double play at this level, and BR was a fast runner). R1 is out, BR gets 1st base, play on." The next batter struck out, so it didn't make much difference either way.

But now I'm wondering...

Looking at 8-4-2b Penalty, I think maybe I should've called BR out in addition to R1.

But to me, the slide didn't appear to be illegal (it didn't fit 2-32-2a because R1 never made contact with F4... but I wonder if I could've used 2-32-2c instead).

I realize this is probably a HTBT situation... did I kick it?

cookie Tue May 01, 2012 09:28am

Under Fed Rules, it appears to be a FPSR violation. If the pop-up slide (not allowed in Fed FPSR) altered the play in any way, then R1 is out AND BR is out. Obviously, the ball hitting R1's helmut altered the play regardless whether BR would have or have not been out.

mbyron Tue May 01, 2012 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 839701)
Under Fed Rules, it appears to be a FPSR violation. If the pop-up slide (not allowed in Fed FPSR) altered the play in any way, then R1 is out AND BR is out. Obviously, the ball hitting R1's helmut altered the play regardless whether BR would have or have not been out.

Correct. 8-4-2b: nothing to judge about the possibility/likelihood of a double play once you rule a FPSR violation. 2 outs are automatic.

jTheUmp Tue May 01, 2012 09:46am

What's FPSR?

cookie Tue May 01, 2012 09:54am

What's FPSR?

Force Play Slide Rule

Rich Tue May 01, 2012 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 839696)
Hopefully I can describe this correctly:

R1, 1 out.
Batter hits a roller to F6, who fields cleanly and throws to F4 for the force out at 2nd.

R1 (now a retired runner) does a 'pop-up' slide, and F4's throw to F3 hits R1's helmet. R1 never actually made contact with F4.

Interference?

Defensive coach wanted interference on R1, and for me to call BR out as well.

My ruling was "intereference on R1, which did not prevent a possible double play (9th grade game, most infielders aren't quick enough to turn a 6-4-3 double play at this level, and BR was a fast runner). R1 is out, BR gets 1st base, play on." The next batter struck out, so it didn't make much difference either way.

But now I'm wondering...

Looking at 8-4-2b Penalty, I think maybe I should've called BR out in addition to R1.

But to me, the slide didn't appear to be illegal (it didn't fit 2-32-2a because R1 never made contact with F4... but I wonder if I could've used 2-32-2c instead).

I realize this is probably a HTBT situation... did I kick it?

If it's an NFHS game, it's a FPSR violation as a pop-up slide is not allowed if it alters/affects the play.

NCAA -- completely legal.

jTheUmp Tue May 01, 2012 10:23am

Gottcha.

So I did kick it... lesson learned.

umpjim Tue May 01, 2012 12:07pm

If you called interference there then somebody else has to be out since R1 already was.

Rich Ives Tue May 01, 2012 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 839713)
If it's an NFHS game, it's a FPSR violation as a pop-up slide is not allowed if it alters/affects the play.

NCAA -- completely legal.

Legal in OBR too.