The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Ball hits bat (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/90203-ball-hits-bat.html)

rngrck Fri Mar 23, 2012 05:51pm

Ball hits bat

Does a batted ball hitting the bat in fair territory cause the batter to be called out? Is it a live or dead ball?

rbmartin Fri Mar 23, 2012 06:03pm

If you're playing in OBR :
6.05 (h) A batter is out when after hitting or bunting a fair ball, his bat hits the ball a second time in fair territory. The ball is dead and no runners may advance. If the batter runner drops his bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair territory and, in the umpire's judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, the ball is alive and in play...

So you need to ask this question: Did the bat hit the ball or did the ball hit the bat. This may sound silly but that's the way you have to look at it.
A smart hitter will disgard his bat into foul territory so there's nothing to chance.

rngrck Fri Mar 23, 2012 06:09pm

The play involved was a short pop up down the line that was spinning toward the foul line when it hit the discarded bat, preventing the ball from going foul. OC wanted interference. Umpire ruled fair live ball.

johnnyg08 Fri Mar 23, 2012 06:16pm

Sounds like you hired the right umpire.

RPatrino Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:37pm

Good call. There are no foreign objects in fair territory, even a bat.

ozzy6900 Sat Mar 24, 2012 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rngrck (Post 833953)
The play involved was a short pop up down the line that was spinning toward the foul line when it hit the discarded bat, preventing the ball from going foul. OC wanted interference. Umpire ruled fair live ball.

LOL ---- "Okay, coach, you do realize that if I call interference, your batter will be out, right? Interference = an out."

Umpmazza Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:33am

Bats hits ball= out

ball hits bat= nothing

BretMan Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 834334)
Bats hits ball= out

ball hits bat= nothing

That will probably cover you 99.999% of the time- but it's not an absolute and there is an exception.

If the umpire judges that the batter discarded the bat with the intent to purposely place the bat in the ball's path, even if "ball hits bat" it is interference.

No, I have never had to make that call...

Welpe Mon Mar 26, 2012 03:21pm

Bret, it is even more convoluted than that in Fed. From my reading unless the batter purposely discards the bat to hit the ball, the bat hitting the ball is nothing.

johnnyg08 Mon Mar 26, 2012 05:34pm

If the ball hits the bat first in foul, then it's always foul even if it rolls fair.

dash_riprock Mon Mar 26, 2012 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 834018)
Good call. There are no foreign objects in fair territory, even a bat.

Sure there are. A part of a broken bat, the rosin bag and a helmet are examples of foreign objects. If the ball touches a foreign object in fair territory, it is live and may become fair (unless its fair/foul status has already been determined).

And I agree with you - good call.

RPatrino Mon Mar 26, 2012 09:08pm

The ball hitting any of the objects you mention does not in and of itself kill the play. One correction to your post..."If the ball touches a foreign object in fair territory, it is live and may become FOUL (unless its fair/foul status has already been determined)."

dash_riprock Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 834432)
The ball hitting any of the objects you mention does not in and of itself kill the play.

That's why I said the ball is live.
Quote:

One correction to your post..."If the ball touches a foreign object in fair territory, it is live and may become FOUL (unless its fair/foul status has already been determined)."
My post was not incorrect. The ball may become fair or foul.