The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Maybe a stupid question... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/8873-maybe-stupid-question.html)

Dan_ref Wed Jun 04, 2003 09:19am

...but why is it illegal to cork a bat?

ref5678 Wed Jun 04, 2003 09:31am

http://www.msnbc.com/news/921817.asp?cp1=1
heres an article on the Sosa incident.

mick Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
...but why is it illegal to cork a bat?
OBR 1.10(a): ".... The bat shall be one piece of solid wood."

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/Miscbatty.gif

tiger49 Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:05am

Why would someone go through the problem of corking a bat just to use for batting practice. Come on Sammy at least you could say you were struggling and grab a pitchers bat as many hitters do in a slump.

ref5678 Wed Jun 04, 2003 01:35pm

good point

Jim Porter Wed Jun 04, 2003 02:18pm

Sosa is a cheater, and now the whole world knows it. The only problem is, when you cheat in MLB with a corked bat, fans tend to laugh about it, and few take it seriously. Sosa will be the butt of bad jokes, have suspicion follow him around for awhile, but few will remember that he's a lousy, two-bit, good-for-nothin' cheater. Makes me wonder how many times he corked in the past. How many of his home runs were deserved?

mick Wed Jun 04, 2003 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Porter
Sosa is a cheater....
Jim,
Need a hug?
mick

JRutledge Wed Jun 04, 2003 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tiger49
Why would someone go through the problem of corking a bat just to use for batting practice. Come on Sammy at least you could say you were struggling and grab a pitchers bat as many hitters do in a slump.
He claimed that he used the bat for batting practice to amuse the fans and make them "ouuuuuuuu and ahhhhhhhhh." He claimed the bats got mixed up with his "regular" bats. Really who cares, he probably is not the only one and will not be the last. Maybe MLB needs to approve all equiptment before it comes to the field with some kind of stamp or marker. But that would cost money and will never be allowed by the Player's Association.

Peace

TriggerMN Wed Jun 04, 2003 03:04pm

Of course, this is the same guy who said he'd be first in line for drug testing, then when he was actually put up to it, he went roid rage on the reporter holding the sample cup.

Mike Follett Wed Jun 04, 2003 03:07pm

I thought it was Barry Bonds who went off on that reporter last year, when challenged to take a leak?

Rick Vietti Wed Jun 04, 2003 03:11pm

It is funny that in High School sports we are required to ask all coaches if there players are properly equipped. We even look at batting helmets, bats etc.. for the proper saftey stamps etc...

Tim McClelland said on Dan Patricks show that they never look at bats nor are required. He also said he wouldn't know if a bat was corked from how it sounded.

It seems if major league baseball wants to eliminate the problems then they should have someone inspect prior to each game and certify equipment.

Or at the least randomly check equipment.

JRutledge Wed Jun 04, 2003 03:37pm

You would do that?

Quote:

Originally posted by TriggerMN
Of course, this is the same guy who said he'd be first in line for drug testing, then when he was actually put up to it, he went roid rage on the reporter holding the sample cup.
Let us take the real world for a moment. You are telling me if some guy, with an agenda would to come and talk to you about a drug test, you would take that test no questions asked? They would have no evidence that you are a drug user. Or you would not be aware of the clinic that would be conducting the test. And you would have no knowledge of what kind of substance they are checking for and allow the public to have access to that personal information? If anyone did that in any job, they might put their livelyhood in total jeapordy. They might have a false-positive that is triggered by other substances and you would have no good way to defend yourself after the information is put out.

Peace

greymule Wed Jun 04, 2003 05:07pm

There's plenty of evidence that Sosa uses steroids. The chiseled features of his face are a dead giveaway. That "look" comes from nothing else.

GarthB Wed Jun 04, 2003 05:53pm

<b>Let us take the real world for a moment. You are telling me if some guy, with an agenda would to come and talk to you about a drug test, you would take that test no questions asked? </b>

The point is that Sosa claimed he would take the test, and then when offered an opportunity, ran from it. He could have suggested a number of alternative....I'll take one at my Doctor's....I'll take one with the Team Physician....

Instead he violently refused to discuss the matter and rejected taking the test he had offered to take.

sunfudblu Wed Jun 04, 2003 08:09pm

I've heard of softball players stuffing their aluminum bats with rubber balls and the joke is that if the top ever popped off they would be the only hitters to ever ground out to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and short all at the same time.