The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 08:28pm
Administrator

Our son plays in a Toledo Park and Rec. boys' 14U league sanctioned by the USSSA which uses OBR rules. And today I was flabergasted by what the base umpire told our son who was playing at first base.

With our opponent having a runner on first base, my son was straddling first base with his left foot in fair territory and his right foot in foul territory. Guess what the base umpire told him? If he wanted to straddle first base, he had to have both feet completely n fair territory and his right foot had to be in contact with the base. I guess that is the type of rules knowledge from an umpire who wears a powder blue hat on the bases.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the base umpire has others priorities in life. But you have a responsibility to follow up with his supervisor, whomever that may be, and present your case. If this is an organized league, the umpires should be dressed properly and have a reasonable grip on the rules. If they follow FEDERATION, the high school rules group, your son was perfectly legal in his position. He only needs one foot on the line to be considered "in the field of play" and obviously not restricted to an area on or touching the bag.
Now blocking the bag is a completely different can of worms. That's a whole different subject for discussion.
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Our son plays in a Toledo Park and Rec. boys' 14U league sanctioned by the USSSA which uses OBR rules. And today I was flabergasted by what the base umpire told our son who was playing at first base.

With our opponent having a runner on first base, my son was straddling first base with his left foot in fair territory and his right foot in foul territory.
That's a strange position. Most F3's have the left foot foul and the right foot fair when straddling the bag.

Quote:
Guess what the base umpire told him? If he wanted to straddle first base, he had to have both feet completely n fair territory and his right foot had to be in contact with the base.
The first part of that (both feet in fair territory) is the rule under OBR, but it's supposed to be enforced only when the opposing team complains.

Old Wed May 21, 2003, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Confusion abounds

Quote "Our son plays in a Toledo Park and Rec. boys' 14U league sanctioned by the USSSA which uses OBR rules."

They also mix rules such as....
8.02 H. Bat Limitations (Ages 15 and above) – All bats must conform to the National Federation of High School Association’s bat limitations.
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

With our opponent having a runner on first base, my son was straddling first base with his left foot in fair territory and his right foot in foul territory. Guess what the base umpire told him? If he wanted to straddle first base, he had to have both feet completely n fair territory

That's true

and his right foot had to be in contact with the base.

That's not.

I guess that is the type of rules knowledge from an umpire who wears a powder blue hat on the bases.

I've seen many umpires in navy blue and black hats that didn't know squat. I doubt if the color of a hat signifies the score the wearer got on his last rules test.