The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Batter Hits Catcher's Glove (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/8475-batter-hits-catchers-glove.html)

manhong Sun May 04, 2003 12:33am

If a batter hits a catcher's glove during his swing, is this considered to be catcher's interference??? If so, what is the proper ruling for this play. Can anyone site in the rules or case book so that I can read up on this situation???

SC Ump Sun May 04, 2003 06:12am

In OBR:

The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when...

(c) The catcher or any fielder interferes with him. If a play follows the interference, the manager of the offense may advise the plate umpire that he elects to decline the interference penalty and accept the play. Such election shall be made immediately at the end of the play. However, if the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batsman, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, the play proceeds without reference to the interference. If catcher's interference is called with a play in progress the umpire will allow the play to continue because the manager may elect to take the play. If the batter runner missed first base, or a runner misses his next base, he shall be considered as having reached the base, as stated in Note of Rule 7.04

Each runner, other than the batter, may without liability to be put out, advance one base when...

(d) While he is attempting to steal a base, the batter is interfered with by the catcher or any other fielder. NOTE: When a runner is entitled to a base without liability to be put out, while the ball is in play, or under any rule in which the ball is in play after the runner reaches the base to which he is entitled, and the runner fails to touch the base to which he is entitled before attempting to advance to the next base, the runner shall forfeit his exemption from liability to be put out, and he may be put out by tagging the base or by tagging the runner before he returns to the missed base.

bluezebra Mon May 05, 2003 06:54pm

It depends. Was the catcher in a legal position, and the batter reach out and hit the mitt, or did F2 reach into the path of the bat?

Did the bat hit the mitt, or did the mitt hit the bat?

Bob

manhong Mon May 05, 2003 07:06pm

In my situation, the batter hit the mit of the catcher. Could you please define what is the legal catcher's position???

thumpferee Tue May 06, 2003 05:16am

Quote:

Originally posted by SC Ump
In OBR:

The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when...

(c) The catcher or any fielder interferes with him. If a play follows the interference, the manager of the offense may advise the plate umpire that he elects to decline the interference penalty and accept the play. Such election shall be made immediately at the end of the play. However, if the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batsman, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, the play proceeds without reference to the interference. If catcher's interference is called with a play in progress the umpire will allow the play to continue because the manager may elect to take the play. If the batter runner missed first base, or a runner misses his next base, he shall be considered as having reached the base, as stated in Note of Rule 7.04

Each runner, other than the batter, may without liability to be put out, advance one base when...

(d) While he is attempting to steal a base, the batter is interfered with by the catcher or any other fielder. NOTE: When a runner is entitled to a base without liability to be put out, while the ball is in play, or under any rule in which the ball is in play after the runner reaches the base to which he is entitled, and the runner fails to touch the base to which he is entitled before attempting to advance to the next base, the runner shall forfeit his exemption from liability to be put out, and he may be put out by tagging the base or by tagging the runner before he returns to the missed base.

Ok, I'm confused.

Let me give an example to help me.

R1 on second, stealing on the pitch. B2 swings and hits catchers mitt. (1)catcher picks up ball and attempts to throw out R1 and is called (a)out. (b) safe.

(2) Same situation: No throw is made.

In 1-a, R1 would go back to second, and B2 would get 1st?

In 1 b, Coach may elect to keep R1 on third and B2 still bats with a no pitch? Or,elect to put R1 back to 2nd and B2 to 1st? Or, would R1 stay at third since he was stealing, and B2 still goes to 1st?

Confused yet?

And in 2, there is no play, so where are players put on bases?

bob jenkins Tue May 06, 2003 07:09am

Quote:

Originally posted by thumpferee
Ok, I'm confused.

Let me give an example to help me.

R1 on second, stealing on the pitch. B2 swings and hits catchers mitt. (1)catcher picks up ball and attempts to throw out R1 and is called (a)out. (b) safe.

(2) Same situation: No throw is made.

In 1-a, R1 would go back to second, and B2 would get 1st?

In 1 b, Coach may elect to keep R1 on third and B2 still bats with a no pitch? Or,elect to put R1 back to 2nd and B2 to 1st? Or, would R1 stay at third since he was stealing, and B2 still goes to 1st?

Confused yet?

And in 2, there is no play, so where are players put on bases?

In all those plays, R1 (sic) is placed at third and the batter at first.

DownTownTonyBrown Tue May 06, 2003 10:06am

In FED the coach can take the results of the play or he can put the batter runner on first and all other runners that are FORCED can also advance without liability to be put out.

Most situations would not call for the coach to allow R2 (starts at 2nd) to be called out. If R2 was thrown out at 3rd, the obstruction penalty would be enforced and the coach would likely choose to place the BR at 1st and R2 back at 2nd.

The catcher obstruction is ignored if the BR reaches 1st and ALL OTHER RUNNERS ADVANCE one base. So... if R2 is safe at 3rd and the BR reaches 1st, the obstruction is ignored and play continues... live ball... further advances place the runners in jeopardy.

thumpferee Tue May 06, 2003 10:19am

Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
In FED the coach can take the results of the play or he can put the batter runner on first and all other runners that are FORCED can also advance without liability to be put out.

Most situations would not call for the coach to allow R2 (starts at 2nd) to be called out. If R2 was thrown out at 3rd, the obstruction penalty would be enforced and the coach would likely choose to place the BR at 1st and R2 back at 2nd.

The catcher obstruction is ignored if the BR reaches 1st and ALL OTHER RUNNERS ADVANCE one base. So... if R2 is safe at 3rd and the BR reaches 1st, the obstruction is ignored and play continues... live ball... further advances place the runners in jeopardy.

OK, I'm even more confused now!

I understand the rule, but a runner stealing third is not a play if there is no throw, correct?

If you agree with Bob on my situations, then it helps me understand alot better than that above. I am dislexic and reading these rules confuse the HE** outa me sometime!!

bob jenkins Tue May 06, 2003 11:24am

Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

Tony --

You missed the fact that runners who are stealing also advance on the CI -- whether forced or not.

So, in the play presented, R2 was stealing -- thus, he gets third on the obstruction. He'll "never" go back to second on this play.

jicecone Tue May 06, 2003 03:03pm

manhong,

I think you asked this question!

In my situation, the batter hit the mit of the catcher. Could you please define what is the legal catcher's position???

If the batter intentionally interfered with the catcher, he may be called out or ejected and runners returned TOP.
NCAA and OBR No provisions in Fed. I would either eject or call out batter. Reference 2002 BRD pg 129 *256

Rule 1.1.3 Fed. "At the Time Of Pitch all fielders shall be on fair ground except the catcher who shall be in the catcher's box." In HS this is defined as having at least one foot in box or on fair ground for fielders.

OBR & NCAA both feet in.

bob jenkins Wed May 07, 2003 07:21am

Quote:

Originally posted by jicecone
Rule 1.1.3 Fed. "At the Time Of Pitch all fielders shall be on fair ground except the catcher who shall be in the catcher's box." In HS this is defined as having at least one foot in box
Both feet in the box for FED -- 6-1-1, last sentence.

jicecone Wed May 07, 2003 08:45am

Thank you BOB