The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Proud day for this ump (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/8390-proud-day-ump.html)

Mike Follett Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:52am

Well, It looks like I've got another umpire in the family; that being my 15 yr. old son. He's now called 2 player/coach pitch games all by himself, and has done amazingly well in both. Even people, who I'd never expect to compliment him, have taken time to let him (& me) know they think he's doing a good job. I'd like to think it's the result of all those "what-if" conversations he and I have had thru these last 9 years (since he's been playing ball). It'll be interesting to see how he handles the first real s**thouse, that comes his way, but that's just another part of it. I think he's gonna make it, and I couldn't be prouder.

David B Fri Apr 25, 2003 03:09pm

Well done

I also started when I was 15. It takes a special kind of person though to stay with it.

Continue to remind him of the pitfalls that come with the territory.

Especially the coaches who will try to take advantage of his youth.

The best advice I was given as a young lad was "just umpire." Don't spend a lot of time talking to the coaches or trying to describe a call. Call it, if there is a problem state the rule, and don't let them bother you when you screw up which you will.

good luck to Father and Son

Thanks
David

GarthB Fri Apr 25, 2003 03:28pm

Congratulations.

My youngest is now 18. He began calling mustang and bronco games when he was 14. He now calls high school up to 3A varsity. Watching him work is a joy. Working with him is even better...you'll see.

kylejt Fri Apr 25, 2003 04:05pm

That's great! My son, 14, has been working for three years now. He's got up to LL major plates. Thoughest part for a Dad is sitting in the stands and listening fans. Everyone likes to critique the umpire, but when it's your son you have to bite your tongue extra hard. I know how proud I am of my son, so I know how you feel.

Kyle

Rick Vietti Fri Apr 25, 2003 05:03pm

My 15 yr old started last year doing FP Softball and has progressed real well. He is now doing HS softball and will be taking on some baseball this summer.

It is fun working with him and watching him work. I can relate to sitting in the stands and having fans yell at him and having to bite your tongue. He was doing a game last week, when his partner had a difficult call and the fans it went against got a little excited. I kindly let the fans know that they should be showing sportsmanship and not be bad examples.

When I put that on them they quieted down without another peep.

mick Fri Apr 25, 2003 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Follett
Well, It looks like I've got another umpire in the family; that being my 15 yr. old son. He's now called 2 player/coach pitch games all by himself, and has done amazingly well in both. Even people, who I'd never expect to compliment him, have taken time to let him (& me) know they think he's doing a good job. I'd like to think it's the result of all those "what-if" conversations he and I have had thru these last 9 years (since he's been playing ball). It'll be interesting to see how he handles the first real s**thouse, that comes his way, but that's just another part of it. I think he's gonna make it, and I couldn't be prouder.
"I wanna be like you Dad. You know I wanna be like you."
Good story and an "Attaboy" to your son.

Dan_ref Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Follett
Hey Mike, that's great! My 18 yr old son started reffing basketball about 4 yrs ago. I was in the gym waiting to drive him home when he T'ed up his first coach two seasons ago in a 4th grade rec game. He was great, gave him the stop sign, then told him he had heard enough, then he took him! I was so excited the league director almost threw me out until I apologized & explained who I was. :) This past February I worked a couple of games with him the weekend before he started his 3 month government sponsored trip to Parris Island. To him it was just $60, to me it was a bit more.

chris s Tue Apr 29, 2003 02:12pm

Way cool storys. My oldest is playing her best yaer of softball. My youngest is a 8 year old PINTO player with a bit too much attitude(wonder where he gets it). He'll figure it out, I chew his butt bout the officiating NOT detemining games, but he is a handfull!! Hopefully I got 2 that will earn a bit of cash umping some games, got a lotta gear!!!!