The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Post season survey (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/82796-post-season-survey.html)

rngrck Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:55am

Post season survey

Fellow comrades. As a base umpire in a 2 -man system, what in your opinion is the hardest call to make? Please be specific with regards to positioning and base involved. :(

kylejt Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:08am

The ball thrown to the unexpected base.

REFANDUMP Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:19am

The pickoff throw to 1st base from the "B" position.

bob jenkins Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:30pm

R1, R2, double steal, throw to third then to second with a swipe tag.

JRutledge Thu Oct 27, 2011 04:57pm

I think a catch made going away from the infield near the ground.

Peace

Matt Thu Oct 27, 2011 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 796204)
Pickoff at 1st from the B position and/or steal of 3rd from the B position. Equally as difficult for me to guess correctly. :rolleyes:

JJ

The opportunity for the second should never arise.

MrUmpire Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:46pm

catch/no catch straight away and very deep center at or below the shoetops.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:59am

Diving catch with outfielder toward line as PU, or fair/foul on screaming ground ball down LF line over 3rd base as PU.

MikeStrybel Fri Oct 28, 2011 07:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 796224)
The opportunity for the second should never arise.

With two outs and R2, I have seen umpires move from C to B in the belief that the final out will be at first base. Some associations encourage this though I'm not a fan. As has been discussed prior, umpires often do what their assignors, partner(s), league, team or paycheck provider demands.

Topic related, seeing that pitcher get his foot ON the bag from the C position is the nutbuster for me. As we watched in Game 6 last night, the angle makes the difference when a pitcher is covering for a first baseman who dove to grab a liner. I've guessed correctly on every one, at least that's what I tell the coach when confronted. ;)

bob jenkins Fri Oct 28, 2011 07:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 796263)
Topic related, seeing that pitcher get his foot ON the bag from the C position is the nutbuster for me. As we watched in Game 6 last night, the angle makes the difference when a pitcher is covering for a first baseman who dove to grab a liner. I've guessed correctly on every one, at least that's what I tell the coach when confronted. ;)

Good one -- add to it "and when F1 ALSO attempts a swipe tag on BR".

caused a little kerfluffle during a game this year -- and since PU went down to third, per the new mechanic, he wasn't (couldn't be) much help.

Steven Tyler Fri Oct 28, 2011 01:26pm

I really don't worry about those things. I can only be in one place at a time.

My biggest concern at times is on base hit with multiple runners is not to get between the cut-off man and the base he is thowing to.

Sco53 Fri Oct 28, 2011 01:33pm

Deep fly ball, over the shoulder catch/ no-catch

Steven Tyler Fri Oct 28, 2011 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 796244)
Diving catch with outfielder toward line as PU, or fair/foul on screaming ground ball down LF line over 3rd base as PU.

They're talking about the base ump, Steve.

PeteBooth Fri Oct 28, 2011 03:54pm

[
Quote:

QUOTE=rngrck;796160]Fellow comrades. As a base umpire in a 2 -man system, what in your opinion is the hardest call to make? Please be specific with regards to positioning and base involved. :(
[/QUOTE]

In addition to what\'s been said,

To tell if it\'s an HR or book rule double when you have those dreaded snow fences to deal with.

Pete Booth

TussAgee11 Fri Oct 28, 2011 04:17pm

R2 only ground ball to F6\'s right in the hole and R2 decides to go.

No idea if its going to 3rd or 1st. If the play is at 1st, you\'re at best between the rubber and 2nd. If the play is at third, the ball is coming in behind the runner and you\'ll never see when he was tagged.

Just no solution to that one.