The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Get it in writing ?

At the high school level, what things should I be writing down in my note pad (or elsewhere) before, during and after the game?
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
At the high school level, what things should I be writing down in my note pad (or elsewhere) before, during and after the game?
Subs, OFF and DEF trips, warnings and ejections (or restrictions as case may be).
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Notepad or lineup card? I think most of us use the lineup card to keep track of any subs or things that happen in the game.

If you actually mean a notepad, the only thing I can think of is things to go over personally or with your partner after the game.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

I use a sheet I designed, about 2.5 x 3.5 that has place for everything I think I need to record. I cut them up myself and put them in my Honigs notebook.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I use a sheet I designed, about 2.5 x 3.5 that has place for everything I think I need to record. I cut them up myself and put them in my Honigs notebook.
That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. What's on your sheet if you don't mind me asking?
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
You should not be writing anything in your note pad before or during the game.

The time for writing things down is after the game.

When I first started I had a 3 ring binder. One section for rules one for mechanics and one for Game management.

RE: For me it was easier to review rather then have them all together.

Things I wrote.

1. Rule interps that I either kicked or simply didn't understand. I would research so that I would not kick it again.

2. In the FED rule-book they have a nice table on base awards and when the ball is dead vs. delayed dead. Also rule 9 on how a team scores. I copied them, put it in my note-book and memorized it. IMO, we are all human and will not know every single rule BUT we have to know the important ones like base awards, when the ball is dead vs. delayed dead and how many runs score depending upon the situation.

In the mechanics section I wrote things down to improve myself plus kept a copy of evaluations from the Sr. umpires at the time. Also, after scrimmage games where I would try "different things" (like changing my plate stance or positioning when I had the bases) I would indicate if I thought it helped me more or hindered me more.

In the beginning of my career I had some horror games (heck every once in a while I still get one) where many things could have been defused if I handled the situation better. That type of "stuff" I kept in the Game management section to aid me in controlling a game better.

IMO, there is nothing like a good mentor who gives you constructive criticism. Hopefully you have such a person who can help you. Keep his evaluations in the note-book as well.

Pete Booth