The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

NHFS Rule 8.2.5, pg. 48, states: Appeals must be made before the next legal or illegal pitch; (2) at the end of an inning before the pitcher and all infielders have left fair territory; (3) before an intentional base on balls is granted; (4) on the very last play of the game an appeal can be made until the umpires leave the field of play.

My interpretation is that even though the appeal could be made because we (the umpires) have not left the field, the appeal should be disallowed because the defensive team had all crossed the foul line, thus leaving fair territory. For me to have allowed the appeal at least one defensive player had to remain on the field. I reiterate, all of the defensive players left fair territory, went to the dugout, and then went to left field for a team meeting. It was really strange seeing the defensive team out in left field and the offensive team leaving, some in their cars. Please don't ask me what in the h... we were still doing on the field. It's a long, embarrassing story.

Was I right or wrong? A protest ensued because of my ruling.

Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Mok

You quoted a rule, told us your opinion and then asked if you were right or wrong.

How about the facts what happened?

Because as of right now it seems like you didn't follow the rule.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you should have gotten in your own car and left with the offense.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mok

Was I right or wrong? A protest ensued because of my ruling.
I believe you were right.................
Once the infielders cross the foul lines after a game ending play, the defense has lost their right to appeal. This was verified to me by a state interpreter.

I believe the purpose of the added limitation regarding umpires leaving the field handles situations where the teams make no apparent appeal, but may gather on the field to shake their opponents hands, etc. Exactly how long are you to stay on the field to see if there is going to be an appeal? Shouldn't you leave as you normally would at the end of a game? Wouldn't your remaining on the field be a tipoff to the defense that there was a baserunning error?

This stipulation does not supersede the other criteria for losing right of appeal. Rather, it adds limitation for times when the officials are expected to leave the field.

Freix

Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

I couldn't agree with you more. However, I was waiting for my partner to come to the fence gate where I was standing and he didn't (I'll not make excuses for him), but I also wasn't going to abandoned him. I can guarantee that in the future he will leave a lot more promptly. Thanks for the input.